Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-2019, 14:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I took the quote about Martin Hall going to see Richey's dad in a hotel lobby to ask permission to use the lyrics as an implication that it was a mere formality rather than coercion
Excuse untidy reply, a phone job again.

That is the truth, and I'm glad it reads like that. But that wasn't the intention of the person who quoted about the meeting (forgive me, I am unsure if it was Rachel or SHR). I think the reception of such a quote depends on context the reader may have gained elsewhere, and the opinion of the band/management. Thankfully, from what you've said, that's positive. Perhaps it will remain that way.

Quote:

As for allegations against James.....why even bother to repeat or allude to them here. It's sheer spite on the part of SHR ... similar and equally unsubstantiated rumours have been thrown at Richey and she took them and instead of just dismissing them which is what you do with unsubstantiated bollox threw them at James. It's childish at best, playground level, and as they've no credence they shouldn't be given oxygen, even if its just to repeat so as to damn it, just ignore it and of course that shit can't be published
Because context, because this is the fear. The fear is something like that is in the book, and not on a forum which (with the greatest of respect) relatively few people read.

The same accusations against Richey... The exact same accusations. Because she was always talking about Richey when she said them. She's performed a sleight of hand to transfer them to James, because it fits the current narrative.

If mentioned at all, I doubt it would be overtly so. As you say, not exactly publishable. It may not even fit into the book. It may have been removed... Who yet knows?

Quote:
I don't think anyone's puzzling over why the delays and the taking down of interviews and of links to pages ha
Lots of people are, but that's just individual. Not everyone will be in the loop. There have been changes to the book. I don't know why interviews/links have been removed, merely have a feeling.

You say I've speculated on certain things. I haven't.

There is, however, a missing link between why the author should attempt such an undertaking, when she had previously had nothing but disdain for Richey.

Quote:
And as for being able to grieve if everything about the man seems perfect.
I didn't make myself well understood here: I don't mean Richey, I mean the relationship. Am willing to hear that anyone's experienced otherwise, there are bound to be plenty, but my own experience is that you feel like you're better permitted to grieve if you can make out like you had a happy relationship. I speak as someone whose partner went missing and was found dead.

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's an implication the 3 remaining band members will off themselves as a consequence of the book in sim's post?
That's not what I suggested at all, I don't really think it was unclear - the band haven't ever been spared the trauma, or been afforded any privacy. We speak about the possibility of Richey having taken his own life (the correct phrase), yet continually are unconcerned with the mental health of those he left behind.

Basically, all this is serious padding for the message: if new information had been found, should we be entitled to it? Who benefits?

Quote:
Having said that I'll be surprised if it is actually published
I'm not sure if I would be surprised myself. I think at this point it's looking fairly likely it will be? I mean, a big publisher like Penguin isn't going to let it go, surely? Having said that, the book's been through a lot of hands, had a lot of attention, and I suppose it could go either way. We'll have to wait and see!