Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19
Footprint of history

I was speaking to someone who was in the Brit protection yesterday and she said she was served by the young lad who played Jack and Vera's grandson Paul on Corrie.

Last edited by looke; 09-12-2011 at 12:23. Reason: context is key
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
What he is saying is "Conservative", you know, wanting to preserve traditions and that - I'm not sure how you can really argue that. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing - being conservative doesn't always have to be a bad thing.
everyone's getting big C and little c conservatives mixed up here I think...
It's a conservative view of a situation, but it doesn't make him a Tory

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 09-12-2011, 11:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
It's pretty much what it used to be though. Back in the late seventies, early '80s, Yates' was one of the few pubs that sold draught wine or any real variety of wine. The Bolton one was a spit and sawdust type of place, but it was differentiated from other pubs by the number of wines, sherries and ports on offer.
Well you learn something everyday! Cheers.

Although having been in one a few years ago (under duress) I think they're overdue a re-branding.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:47
Doors slowly closing

I wanna be in this pub

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

They always say you should never meet your heroes but I can't imagine how having a pint or two with Bradders would be anything other than an utter joy. He's absolutely right about the way modern pubs are going. "Pubs now have become the acceptable face of intellectual gourmet-ism, part of an aspirational lifestyle sold in Sunday supplements".

He's right, and it's shit, no longer are pubs a place to relax, a respite from daily life but they are a business geared solely towards profit. An example is a pub not far from me, lovely old gin palace, huge inside with a clientele representative of the diverse local population. Get's a makeover, becomes a gastropub (they had a salad at £20 last time I went, I kid you not), which pushes out the diverse clientele and attracts the Jeremy's and Tamara's with their prams full of Josh's and Annabel's. It's utterly horrific and it's all done for money. There's no desire to be a part of the community as pubs had always traditionally been, they're now as individual and lifeless as any Starbucks or Pret. We should treasure places like those mentioned in that article while they're still around.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41
I live to fall asleep

I would love to have a pint with Bradders. I would just talk about the first solo in Comfort Comes cos even though I've nailed the second one I can't fucking work out the first one.
Old 09-12-2011, 13:40
Bored out of my mind

If I had a pint with Bradders I'd ask him which jazz albums he recommends!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-12-2011, 14:14
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I've actually never been in there despite living in or around Cardiff my whole life, but I was sad when it was on the verge of closure a while back. Do a google image search on 'the vulcan cardiff' and you'll see it's this little isolated bit of history next to a wide road, emptiness, car parks where other buildings have been knocked down and high-rise modern toss. It's completely on it's own. I've seen my home city change so much in the last few years, and lose its character. The Vulcan is that character, and in the very bottom end of the town centre it stands alone in that regard.
Cardiff has lost a lot of character. Too many places have gone to be replaced by shopping centres which are half empty as noone has the money to shop in them. Or 'plazas' which are just huge paved areas with some naff stainless steel sculpture plonked in the middle.
Old 09-12-2011, 14:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
Cardiff has lost a lot of character. Too many places have gone to be replaced by shopping centres which are half empty as noone has the money to shop in them. Or 'plazas' which are just huge paved areas with some naff stainless steel sculpture plonked in the middle.
Tell me about it. The St David's 2 centre is utterly vile and full of chain shops and restaurants.

The King's Cross has recently closed as well, which was a bit of a Cardiff institution.
Old 09-12-2011, 15:11
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
On a weekend away to the Lakes, got chatting to this couple and Cardiff came up in the conversation. They said not to bother going cos it's just full of restaurants etc etc!

(I still wanna go though!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-12-2011, 22:03
Desire on its knees

I haven't been to Cardiff in ages, but my memory of it is that even though it's a very modern city centre it somehow has a bit more charm and affability than most. I think that might be the people, though.

Facebook Twitter
Old 11-12-2011, 23:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojambo View Post
They always say you should never meet your heroes but I can't imagine how having a pint or two with Bradders would be anything other than an utter joy. He's absolutely right about the way modern pubs are going. "Pubs now have become the acceptable face of intellectual gourmet-ism, part of an aspirational lifestyle sold in Sunday supplements".

He's right, and it's shit, no longer are pubs a place to relax, a respite from daily life but they are a business geared solely towards profit.
Totally agree, and just one more eason to love James.
Old 30-12-2011, 18:57
An imitation of dignity

Apologies for dragging this one back up, but after being quite content to just read the assorted threads on here for a long time, the mention of 'The Vulcan' has given me the impetus to actually register and post.
It brings back a host of memories for me, as it was somewhere I used to walk past regularly as a student in Cardiff in the mid-late '80's. (Amongst other destinations it was on the way to/from our regular night spot 'Bogiez' which was on Penarth Road in those days.) It had a certain reputation amongst the students as not exactly being friendly and to be fair it always looked pretty intimidating. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I never once plucked up the courage to actually go in, but always, always wanted to.
Fast forward 20+ years and before the gig at the Motorpoint in May I went in with the friends I was taking to the gig and had a couple of pints. What a great pub ! Silly really but it was something I was really pleased to have done .... daft something simple like that being unfulfilled for such a long time.
Anyway. Apologies for the intrusion of my shameless nostagia .... I guess I might post on some more up to date topics like the O2 gig.

Regards to you all (just in case this is my only ever post !)
Old 30-12-2011, 19:13
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I like The City Arms, in Cardiff...They have the Manics on the juke box!! I also Love the French House in Soho, my mother in~law and I used to go there all the time. It's the sort of place you'd see an actor who you knew their face but can't quite remember their name. We once saw Timothy Spall in there, took me ages to remember his name

Old 30-12-2011, 21:39
Bored of being bored

There was a place in Moseley in Birmingham which they took a hatchet to. I think it was called the fieldmouse or something like that? An old Victorian pub. Someone redeveloped it, ripped out all the antique fittings and replaced with furtniture that "looked" antique. It's sickening, it's like there's nothing real left, everything's a simulcrum.