Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-05-2009, 14:23
Winterlover

Recorded by Albini production/mix by Eringa

I got my copy last night, and I'm a bit confused. From hearing Peeled Apples before I was led to expect a more brutal, raw sound. But seemingly the final versions are quite produced(a bit over if you ask me).

Don't get me wrong I like the album so far, and it may grow on me more I need more listens.But I'm a bit underwhelmed by the production, why bring Albini in and then get Eringa and Loz Williams to shine it all up?Do you think this is why they're releasing the demo versions too?
Old 15-05-2009, 14:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

not listened to demo`s yet but usually like the less produced less shiney versions!!
Old 15-05-2009, 14:26
Banned

I didn't think it was that produced at all with the exception for this Joke Sport Severed. I think it's more of a style issue than production.
Old 15-05-2009, 14:28
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlowerBill View Post
Don't get me wrong I like the album so far, and it may grow on me more I need more listens.But I'm a bit underwhelmed by the production, why bring Albini in and then get Eringa and Loz Williams to shine it all up?
Probably for the same reason(s) even the great Nirvana were forced to get R.E.M.'s producer to polish some of the tracks on In Utero.
Old 15-05-2009, 14:46
Winterlover

Maybe it's me I prefer slightly raw production, especially if you have someone as good as Albini recording your sessions. Plus this album wasn't meant to be that commercial was it?No singles ect....

Who is this Loz Williams character? I dislike his work.
Old 15-05-2009, 14:53
Z-Ro

honestly, over-produced?

all the songs sound like they were recorded in one take, with vocals and 2nd guitar dubbed. with exception to the Eringa shit, which just sounds like the usual half-baked drum machines, dodgy string arrangements that have ruined all the recent albums (although done relatively tastefully in comparison i must say).

'We thought you would like to know that we have been making music. We have been in the studio with Mr Steve Albini recording live – to tape – analogue – no digital hiss – no Pro Tools – no safety nets. Quite scary, daunting but invigorating.'

Last edited by Z-Ro; 15-05-2009 at 15:08.
Old 15-05-2009, 15:11
I live to fall asleep

Oh was really looking forward to a really raw sound. Don't know what to think now...
Old 15-05-2009, 15:16
Z-Ro

i dont know how you can say any of the other albums apart from Holy Bible even compete in terms of rawness?

It's a very different aesthetic to Holy Bible, it's not remotely as lo-fi or icy, far more clarity and analogue warmth.
Old 15-05-2009, 15:22
Banned

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Loz+Williams
Old 15-05-2009, 16:02

To be fair, as the Manics have said in interviews, Albini told them they shouldn't expect an In Utero like sound because they're not Nirvana. As a band they are tighter and more focused, it's just what they are. I really like the sound of the tracks and agree with Z-Ro that the best thing about them is the clarity. I'm not an audiophile in the slightest but even I can appreciate how you can hear pretty much every instrument clearly in JFPL rather than everything being compressed to fuck like most modern rock records.

JDB: "Yes you fucking do."
Old 15-05-2009, 17:33
Winterlover

There is that, in fairness I'm just getting used to this record only been playing it since last night so you probably all have a upper hand on me. I agree there's a clarity and its not as compressed as SATT. I guess what I mean is, if it was recorded live,taped – analogue ect why mix it with such a sheen? I think its the mixing of Eringa/Williams more than the production that I have a slight issue with. I apreciate it's not going to be In Utero, but I think some of the songs could do with a less shiny gloss myself. Just my preference, I guess.
Old 15-05-2009, 17:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Ro View Post
i dont know how you can say any of the other albums apart from Holy Bible even compete in terms of rawness?

It's a very different aesthetic to Holy Bible, it's not remotely as lo-fi or icy, far more clarity and analogue warmth.
KYE?
Old 15-05-2009, 17:38
Winterlover

In one of the interviews - and I'm sorry, I forget which one - Nicky said Albini "had to leave early" owing to commitments in the US. So apparently they brought Eringa in to finish up. I've been wondering how the thing was credited, so thanks for clearing that up!

I'm pretty sure this is in one of the video interviews, not print, if someone can narrow it down.

And BTW I'm fine w/ the production. More or less, anyway.
Old 15-05-2009, 18:00
Winterlover

There really is virtually no "sheen" on this album. It sounds like the Manics do live, which affirms the recording process they used.

*edit - of course I'm talking about my own personal interpratation of sheen, which is basically massively produced and lots of echo's and delays to "fill up" the sound. A perfect example of this is how Butch Vig turned Nirvana from the Bleach esque grungers to a super sheened finish on Nevermind.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 15-05-2009 at 18:07.
Old 15-05-2009, 18:08

I wouldn't say it was 'raw' but it's lo fi. It's well performed, recorded and produced, not scrappy, but the aesthetic is post punk. It doesn't have the over glamorous, glitzy sheen of a lot of their albums.

I don't think the Manics have ever recorded a 'raw' album, nor do i think it would really work to do that.

I / We was / will be everything forever.