Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-06-2011, 00:58
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I think it had far more to do with Sire (as well as the dysfunction of the band itself) than it ever had to do with the Sex Pistols.
In the long run? Absolutely. But the evidence is there to prove that around that particular time the Sex Pistols had a detrimental effect on the success of the Ramones.

EDIT: I apologise for having completely derailed this thread.
Old 15-06-2011, 01:02
Stretched out in the sun

I think the Ramones did ok in the long run. It's not like they never played 3 chord punk songs ever again now is it?
Old 15-06-2011, 03:44
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWill View Post
HA HA HA did he really do butter ads? That's awesome. Like the Iggy Pop insurance posters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSE-Iy_tFY
Old 15-06-2011, 13:20
Freed from the century

On the subject of Lydon's bands, I only really liked PiL. Never liked the Sex Pistols.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 15-06-2011, 13:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
The biggest crime the Sex Pistols ever committed wasn't making bad music, being unlikeable twats or even selling butter; it was giving the Americans a bad impression of punk music which led to Ramones records not being played on American radio, denying the Ramones the fame and praise they deserved.
I don't agree. If at the time, fans and people in the business i.e radio etc, were too stupid to distinguish between two very different sounding bands, that's hardly The Pistols fault.
Old 15-06-2011, 14:31
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
The biggest crime the Sex Pistols ever committed wasn't making bad music, being unlikeable twats or even selling butter; it was giving the Americans a bad impression of punk music which led to Ramones records not being played on American radio, denying the Ramones the fame and praise they deserved.
since when has punk been about praise and fame? Surely it's more about being subversive and anti-establishment. If the Pistols really had that effect on American radio, then that in itself should be celebrated as an achievement! As for the Ramones, blaming another band for their lack of success seems a bit lame to me. It's like saying, I didn't do well at school because the class clown Pete used to talk to me during lessons, which made the teachers hate me.

Also look at all the bands that were inspired by the Pistols. Mr Edwards and the gang for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct View Post
I don't agree. If at the time, fans and people in the business i.e radio etc, were too stupid to distinguish between two very different sounding bands, that's hardly The Pistols fault.
Agreed. You can't blame them for being what they are: subversive and anti-establishment. That was there act. That's what they did best, even if you don't like the music...
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog

Last edited by mr bowlase; 15-06-2011 at 14:48.
Old 15-06-2011, 14:47
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bowlase View Post
since when has punk been about praise and fame? Surely it's more about being subversive and anti-establishment. If the Pistols really had that effect on American radio, then that in itself should be celebrated as an achievement! As for the Ramones, blaming another band for their lack of success seems a bit lame to me. It's like saying, I didn't do well at school because the class clown Pete used to talk to me during lessons, which made the teachers hate me.

Also look at all the bands that were inspired by the Pistols. Mr Edwards and the gang for one...

Agreed. You can't blame them for being what they are: subversive and anti-establishment. That was there act. That's what they did best, even if you didn't like the music...
Took the words from my mouth. +1000.
Old 15-06-2011, 15:05
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bowlase View Post

Agreed. You can't blame them for being what they are: subversive and anti-establishment. That was there act. That's what they did best, even if you don't like the music...
Agrees with this, its like Boyzone blaming Take That for being more sucessful
Old 15-06-2011, 15:11
Winterlover

I love the Pistols and PiL and I'm sure the boys will be proud of themselves for gaining Lydon's praise.
Old 15-06-2011, 15:14
A self-made vacuum

A lot of bands would!
Old 15-06-2011, 17:18
Winterlover

Anyway, the Ramones already had 3 albums out by the time the Pistols got to America.
Old 15-06-2011, 17:46
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I don't understand all this comparison between the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, I don't much care for either, honestly. They were both in the right place at the right time, "pioneers" certainly but exceptional musically? Er. Not my bag.
I love Public Image though.
Old 15-06-2011, 18:09
Freed from the century

If the Ramones had done anything as musically important or groundbreaking as PILs first three albums I think you'd have a point.
Instead Joey just sang anti-Reagan songs while voting for him.
Some of Dee Dees later songs were okay.
I was on the same plane as John recently. Alright bloke.
Old 15-06-2011, 18:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
If the Ramones had done anything as musically important or groundbreaking as PILs first three albums I think you'd have a point.
Instead Joey just sang anti-Reagan songs while voting for him.
Some of Dee Dees later songs were okay.
I was on the same plane as John recently. Alright bloke.
Can you verify this? I can't find anything.
Old 15-06-2011, 18:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
Can you verify this? I can't find anything.
Bonzo Goes To Bitburg is about him, of course.and all that SS Cemetery hoo-ha. Although I think Johnny wrote the lyrics. Come to think of it I think it was in Dee Dees autobiography about the hypocrisy of Johnny not Joey. My mistake.