Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Pistoldinner View Post
Well, I think 1985 and TRG are two songs on LB which do work exactly because they are full on pop songs with singalong choruses.
I might argue that most Manics songs have singalong choruses, I would be interested to hear why they are full on pop songs? If thats the case ia all the Manics material full on pop? I couldn't imagine a boyband singing those two songs? But on first listens to postcards it could well be a Robbie Williams or Take That album, just my view of course, but I do not consider lifeblood full-on pop. Its more Depeche Mode than Erasure shall we say?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46

send away the tigers 2007. If we don´t talk about b-sides and greatest hits.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:49

Hey guys just my opinion here. Having now listened to the album properly I really like it! It is a very good album and I certainly think it is a better and a more creative album than Send Away the Tigers. I think there is quite a lot going on musically in the album. There are some really good songs on this like Hazelton Avenue, All We Make is Entertainment etc. I also think Nicky's lyrics seem to be quite good on this album (always hard to tell some of the lyrics just by ear however). Impressed at the moment I think they have really pulled this sound off even though some of hte songs are a little dull like It's Not War.

Maybe it's just me but I also thin James' voice is sounding good here. For example I think his voice sounds better on Hazleton Avenue than it did on Second Great Depression.

Just wondering are there lyrics for all these songs yet? Thanks!

Last edited by Vogon Poet; 01-09-2010 at 10:53.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet View Post
Hey guys just my opinion here. Having now listened to the album properly I really like it! It is a very good album and I certainly think it is a better and a more creative album than Send Away the Tigers. I think there is quite a lot going on musically in the album. There are some really good songs on this like Hazelton Avenue, All We Make is Entertainment etc. I also think Nicky's lyrics seem to be quite good on this album (always hard to tell some of the lyrics just by ear however). Impressed at the moment I think they have really pulled this sound off even though some of hte songs are a little dull like It's Not War.
Hazelton Avenue, really? Interesting that you like it, to me it's the one that sounds most SATT and not in a good way, it's one of the few songs they've done that's guilty of being Manics by numbers.

And it's not 'just your opinion', it's the most important thing anyone will ever read, or that seems to be the case for everyone else at least
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56

Hey yeah I do think that Hazelton Avenue sounds quite like a song from SATT. However I think it is better it's what those songs perhaps could/should have sounded like on that album. As I say, just my opinion
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02
Freed from the century

I can see why Simon Price likened it to Take That, it's an incredibly accessible and polished album. I can also see why he said it's not the 90s anymore...

Not my favourite kind of Manics but I have to admire it, and I'm 100 times more likely to listen to this than SATT.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04

I also think it's pretty damn good for a 10th album. They keep trying different sounds etc 10 albums in. Pretty good effort if you ask me. I do think they have the first single wrong though...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
I can see why Simon Price likened it to Take That, it's an incredibly accessible and polished album. I can also see why he said it's not the 90s anymore...

Not my favourite kind of Manics but I have to admire it, and I'm 100 times more likely to listen to this than SATT.
Heh, not a coincidence I started listening to Take That now, then!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Am I the only one who hears Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" in Hazleton Avenue?

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37
Freed from the century

I really like Don't be Evil, but then The Great Escape is one of my favourite Blur albums...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
Am I the only one who hears Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" in Hazleton Avenue?
No Lindz, I was exactly the same, this is when i tried to remember the song and I had James voice over "It Aint over.." in my head
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
You're not now.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39
Winterlover

Location: Not the end of the world...but you can see it from here
I was eally quite worried that I wouldn't like this album because I was so underwhelmed by the single, but...I have really been enjoying it. The highlights for me so far (might change I suppose) are the title track, Some Kind of Nothingness, Golden Platitudes, A Billion Balconies, and I Think I've Found It. There are some quite average tracks, though, and I really hate The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever.

I love the big sound with the strings and choirs, and there are some great harmonies and quite beautiful music.

I hope that they get their mass communication with this as they have given themselves a really good change of doing it.

Right, back to singing along with some of these lovely tunes.

“History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed; Art has remembered the people, because they created”. William Morris
Old 01-09-2010, 13:01
Winterlover

Don't Be Evil doesn't seem to be an obvious choice for a closer, but I think it works well. Just one last straight to the point rocker.

I'm hoping they pull out a really ballsy move for their single though. Billion Balconies maybe.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:04
Freed from the century

There are so many reference points on this album it's like being at a pub quiz, sitting there going "Oh shit, come on, what IS it?!". The 'dum dum dum da da da dum' bit in SKON is driving me mad - come on, it's something from the late 80s...

I do think all Nick's tunes are a bit, erm, the same, but massive love to him for SKON which is dominating my brain so much it keeps coming out of my mouth.