Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 12:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

Thumbs down Nicky's eyes

Why the hell Nicky won't open his eyes when he's being interviewed? It's stupid and annoying.
Old 12-07-2011, 13:20
Stretched out in the sun

Angry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iudv38ZzVs

If I'm allowed, I suggest something less rude next time.
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth
Old 12-07-2011, 13:25
Builder of routine

Because he's a silly lad. End of.
Old 12-07-2011, 14:58
Knowlede Is Power

Is this an issue with the sunglasses? I thought those were annoying too, then he said his eyes are really sensitive to light, so I felt bad saying he looked silly heh.
Old 12-07-2011, 15:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0drnmoonlight View Post
Is this an issue with the sunglasses? I thought those were annoying too, then he said his eyes are really sensitive to light, so I felt bad saying he looked silly heh.
Oh..so that's the reason why. Well, he has his eyes closed even when he's wearing sunglasses.

Sorry Nicky, I apologise.
Old 12-07-2011, 15:14
Footprint of history

I can't remember who I saw saying it, but I read once a fairly major singer saying that many singers and musicians wear sunglasses onstage because they close their eyes a lot to hide from the audience. Could be stage/interview fright?
Old 12-07-2011, 15:17
Stretched out in the sun

Some use sunglasses to hide drug use, some use sunglasses during interviews to hide their eyes. Eyes don't lie. Most interviews are planned/controlled, so you only get X amount of information. Some probably have stage fright. And some just don't like audience interaction. The glasses would be a barrier.
Old 12-07-2011, 16:18
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
some use sunglasses during interviews to hide their eyes. Eyes don't lie.
The fact that he spends interviews continually touching his face would leave few amateur psychologists in any doubt as to why he wears sunglasses during them. I bet he answered that question about his eyes while rubbing his cheek! I bet he was doing the same when he promised us GNR playing The White Album and Springsteen-esque sets as well!!
Old 12-07-2011, 16:50
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
The fact that he spends interviews continually touching his face would leave few amateur psychologists in any doubt as to why he wears sunglasses during them. I bet he answered that question about his eyes while rubbing his cheek! I bet he was doing the same when he promised us GNR playing The White Album and Springsteen-esque sets as well!!
DAMMIT NICKY!

I'd say he's perpetually hungover, but he gave up booze, didn't he? I remember him also saying Richey used to wear sunglasses on days when his eyes weren't made up with eyeliner, so maybe Nicky doesn't want everyone to see him sans glitter?
Old 12-07-2011, 17:12
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Continual face-touching could be a signal of lying. It could also be that he is nervous, or itchy. Body language isn't always an exact science. Rubbing near one's eyes may indicate concealment, or itchiness.
Old 12-07-2011, 20:01
Administrator

Quote:
Continual face-touching could be a signal of lying. It could also be that he is nervous, or itchy. Body language isn't always an exact science. Rubbing near one's eyes may indicate concealment, or itchiness.
It's a tv interview, not a police one...why would they go on to lie, and who cares anyway? I doubt he wears sunglasses because he spends the whole time wanting to cover up the fact that he's lying....more likely his eyes are sensitive, he doesn't like interviews and gets nervous.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:09
Desire on its knees

Quote:
It's all about baseline behaviour. Continual face touching could be a way of pacifying rather than concealing a truth.

The usual ideas about what people do when they lie is not always the case. You have to look at how someone behaves when they are relaxed and then look for deviations in that behaviour to see if they are not being truthful.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:17
Builder of routine

I was interviewing him 2 years ago and he had his eyes closed too, it was sweet kind of dreamy way, and a bit 'i close my eyes because watching the world the way it is hurts me very much'-like

that's why he didn't recognize me, as I keep telling myself
Old 12-07-2011, 18:18
Knowlede Is Power

i used to think the sunglasses were a bit rude until i heard about his eye muscle thing, so maybe his eyes being closed is something to do with studio / tv lighting
Old 12-07-2011, 18:43
Bored of being bored

Years ago, (I think it was in the late 1990s), I heard or read somewhere that it's because his eyes are very sensitive to the lights.

"Doubts are crueler than the worst of truths"

Toronto, Canada - September 11, 1999 / London, England - April 18, 2005 / London, England - April 19, 2005 / Toronto, Canada - October 4, 2009 / Philadelphia, PA, USA - October 6, 2009