Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-10-2021, 10:05
Stretched out in the sun

Given the tone of recent comments, it’s clear to us now that the compilation Stu and I wanted to put together and the one the FD Musicians writ large want to release are somewhat different things.

That being the case, we're both happy to pass over the stewardship of the compilation idea to someone else or to the group as a whole in order to better serve this differing vision. And we will, of course, still happily submit our own cover versions for consideration.

What we won't do (and we hope you'll understand this) is spend additional time and effort on doing the admin, promotion and coordination for a version of the project that we aren't especially interested in making.

How would the group like to proceed?
Old 31-10-2021, 10:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Given the tone of recent comments, it’s clear to us now that the compilation Stu and I wanted to put together and the one the FD Musicians writ large want to release are somewhat different things.

That being the case, we're both happy to pass over the stewardship of the compilation idea to someone else or to the group as a whole in order to better serve this differing vision. And we will, of course, still happily submit our own cover versions for consideration.

What we won't do (and we hope you'll understand this) is spend additional time and effort on doing the admin, promotion and coordination for a version of the project that we aren't especially interested in making.

How would the group like to proceed?
Bit of an overreaction, I’d say. You have plenty of people who seem happy to do it exactly the way (I think) you want. I started my cover without the knowledge there would be the restriction requiring vocals, so that was a little disappointing and I think you could have communicated it from the start, but I still think it’s a great idea for a project and a shame if you shelve it just because of that one misunderstanding.

You seemingly still have a perfectly viable 15-16 tracks with vocals still in progress, right?

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 31-10-2021, 11:26
Under neon loneliness

Turning the, idk what to call it, "running" of the project over to the group/others with the time and energy to do it, is in no way “shelving it”?
Old 31-10-2021, 11:40
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Maybe time for a little breather? Didn't mean for my post to stir the pot. I have a lot of respect for TZB, Mr Richey and Porco and everyone else who put time into this so far. I really hope this moves forward.

Just looking at the first post of this thread, Porco was explicitly asked to contribute so probably worth showing some flexibility on that regard. I'll shut up now.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 31-10-2021, 12:29
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Turning the, idk what to call it, "running" of the project over to the group/others with the time and energy to do it, is in no way “shelving it”?
I just meant it’d be shame to shelve it as in… put it on the shelf. Leave it alone. Relinquish control and hand it over to others who may or may not exist. Shelve. As distinct from cancel, destroy, abandon, obliterate etc. Less necessarily permanent, but allowing for the ambiguous nature of what might happen next. Wish I’d chosen another word now, sorry!

I definitely didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, please continue with your excellent project.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 31-10-2021, 19:15
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I just meant it’d be shame to shelve it as in… put it on the shelf. Leave it alone. Relinquish control and hand it over to others who may or may not exist. Shelve. As distinct from cancel, destroy, abandon, obliterate etc. Less necessarily permanent, but allowing for the ambiguous nature of what might happen next. Wish I’d chosen another word now, sorry!

I definitely didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, please continue with your excellent project.

Burying It would have been a better phrase, to hark back to Wire's idea of burying JPFL rather than releasing it.
Old 01-11-2021, 14:17
Knowlede Is Power

I really hope this does not get buried. I think its a great idea.
Old 01-11-2021, 15:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I really hope this does not get buried. I think its a great idea.
I agree. It would be a shame. Hopefully tzb and Mr Richey will see through the (version they want of) the project they started, I genuinely wish them, and everyone else involved, all the best with it.

Anyway, here's my interpretation of a Manics song I intended for this project, if anyone is interested. Hope some of you like it, even if it is 'only' an instrumental(!!)

Broken Up Again (In Pieces)
https://youtu.be/fwvfJ-B9Ih0

Old 01-11-2021, 16:05

My cat just curled up in my lap and started purring so that's four paws up from them!

Edit: A second cat has done the same, so that's eight paws now!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 01-11-2021 at 16:11.
Old 01-11-2021, 16:47
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
My cat just curled up in my lap and started purring so that's four paws up from them!

Edit: A second cat has done the same, so that's eight paws now!

Old 01-11-2021, 18:09
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I agree. It would be a shame. Hopefully tzb and Mr Richey will see through the (version they want of) the project they started, I genuinely wish them, and everyone else involved, all the best with it.

Anyway, here's my interpretation of a Manics song I intended for this project, if anyone is interested. Hope some of you like it, even if it is 'only' an instrumental(!!)

Broken Up Again (In Pieces)
https://youtu.be/fwvfJ-B9Ih0
Mate, that was incredible! Really captured the vibe of the song, but still had your own style. Loved it!
Old 01-11-2021, 19:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Mate, that was incredible! Really captured the vibe of the song, but still had your own style. Loved it!
Thanks!

Old 01-11-2021, 20:59
Freed from the century

I'm just going to use the audio file from that live version of Tolerate I posted at the start of this project if that's okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YaPaRoeAQ

@Porco - that sounds awesome mate! Was it you many years ago who did an instrumental version of Tsunami that's better than the actual Manics version?

JDB = legend
Old 01-11-2021, 21:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzer View Post
I'm just going to use the audio file from that live version of Tolerate I posted at the start of this project if that's okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YaPaRoeAQ

@Porco - that sounds awesome mate! Was it you many years ago who did an instrumental version of Tsunami that's better than the actual Manics version?
Thank you nozzer, I did indeed post an instrumental Tsunami cover a long while ago, well remembered! Not sure I’d go as far to say it was better than the Manics‘ (or remixes) but very nice of you to remember it that fondly.

Your Tolerate cover is fantastic. I somehow missed it when you posted it earlier in the thread, sorry. Always nice to see a Blackstar amp too of course!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:00

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/user-25046557...d1fec3d5f5b18f

Be Natural (with a little bit of the soulmates) Covered by Oblong Earth Society (me)

I didn't hate this! Really interesting bass and guitar and fair dues for taking on what is probably one of the most ambitious vocal tracks the manics put to record. Is that a Fuzz Factory I hear in the soulmates section?