Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-02-2007, 22:07
Doors slowly closing

Best Manics Gig ;)

Just to balance things with the gloom of the other thread

Mine was the reschedulled LB Cardiff date. First of all I met my fiance there (he wasn't at the original gig, so had James not been ill I may not of met him). Also, I went and bought a cheap guitar with some other people and we sat in the rain singing Manics songs at bemused passers-by. I did a petition to get Nicky to wear the tie I made him (I sewed on 'Don't Hate Me Cos I'm Pretty' sequins ) and got loads of people in the queue to sign, and managed to give it to Nick Nasmyth to pass on, along with some other pressies and a birthday. I had a fantastic time in the queue, met lots of lovely people, wore a fantastic (but cold) outfit to the gig, got on the barrier, heard them play Die In The Summertime (my favourite song) and got to see Nicky going mental singing Mowtown Junk. It was freezing cold and raining but it was a perfect day for me. Honestly, if I never see the Manics again I'd be happy just because of that gig

And then I got home and saw photos of Nicky wearing my tie in Glasgow :

(Thank God that clever girls called Piia were there to take lovely pictures )

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 11-02-2007, 22:10
Footprint of history

Fo Nostalga it would be Reading 94 but I think the one I enjoyed the most would be Plymouth Lifeblood 2004 or PPF Wolves Civic
Old 11-02-2007, 22:12
Bored out of my mind

The Leeds uni gig on the PPF tour I think would be my favourite. Despite the manky sweat dripping off the venue ceiling (it's all part of the Refectory gig experience ), it was a brilliant gig and they played various songs I'd not heard live before, including Archives of Pain (which was amazing) and also was good to hear Roses, Of Walking Abortion and ifwhiteamerica. And they ended on Motown Junk rather than ADFL which made a nice change. Also Delays supported, and it was that gig that got me into them.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:13
Mr Msppedia

It's really hard to single one out. The Manic Millennium gig cause it was my first gig, a looooooong set and of course just the sense of occasion. The Carling Home Coming gig cause it was something unique, the coal Exchange gig in 2001 cause it was my 16th birthday and it was just intimate and really aggressive, one of those 3 probably
Old 11-02-2007, 22:15
Freed from the century

Edinburgh on the ppf tour.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:19
I live to fall asleep

Newport Center August 1997

A Reading Festival Warm up gig, couldnt tickets at first but managed to get a ticket from a advert in the local paper.
Everything just felt right that night, it was boiling hot inside the venue, and we got to hear two new songs at the time, 'Ready for Drowning' and 'Born a girl'. It was the first time I saw the boys up close, it was a thrilling experiance.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:39
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
Without a doubt, so far it's Southampton Guildhall on the PPF tour. After the mad crush of our first gig, and the seated lack-of-atmosphere of the second, we finally decided to queue! We met some really nice people, including Martin Hall, heard the soundcheck and were interviewed for the documentary. When we got in, we got to the front. My sister and her ex got a bit squashed on the barrier (but still loved every second), while my mate and I stood just off the end of it and eventually were just in front of it. The Manics played really well, in spite of the comedy "Spinal Tap" moment at the start (where Sean forgot his drumsticks and had to run off to get them! ), they did loads of songs I'd never heard before and when James did The Everlasting acoustically, I got a bit emotional and Mitch Ikeda took a photo of me that my friend said "will probably look really whistful!"

Given that near the end my mate and I had managed to get very very close to the stage (we had to look over our shoulders to see the people on the barrier, mwahaha!), when James stood at the far corner, we were almost peeing our pants with excitement... A St. John Ambulance woman grabbed my arm and said: "I'm sure he just smiled right at you," at which point I told her not to say things like that to me because if I believed it I might faint...

Met James afterwards (even though the photo I took looks like he's about to kill me, I'm still chuffed...sort of) and went back to our hotel absolutely buzzing. Best gig so far, definately. Roll on, Truro...

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 11-02-2007, 22:40
Doors slowly closing

Brighton 2004. O, yes!

Can't post in the other thread, I've been fortunate not to have seen a duff gig.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:41
Winterlover

All the times I've seen the Manics have been brilliant, but the best was probably Southampton on the PPF tour. I'd seen them before, but that was the first time I got all dressed up, and I got there early and met loads of people from FD for the first time and everyone was lovely (at the previous gig I'd been to scared to talk to anyone), it was brilliant weather, I ended up on the barrier between Nicky and James, and it was just a really amazing day.

Seeing Nicky at Hay as well was great, if only for the sheer strangeness of the day.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:48
I live to fall asleep

I would have to agree with the southampton PPF tour gig,Just because we didnt know what to expect.Of walking abortion first set the tone and the came a design for life.Great night,great gig
Old 11-02-2007, 22:50
clashboy

I really freakin' enjoyed MOVE Festival 2003 and Manchester MEN arena on the Lifeblood tour 2004. Particularly the latter, I was right at the front in the middle and the crowd seemed awesome.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:51
Stretched out in the sun

It'll probably always be the Carling Homecoming gig for me. I was pretty much centre in the little standing pit at the front and I don't think I've ever been that close to the band at any of the Manics gigs I've been to. I loved how there was an acoustic and electric set and the band seemed on top form
Sometimes at night, the darkness and silence weighs on me. Peace frightens me. Perhaps I fear it most of all. I feel it's only a façade, hiding the face of hell. I think of what's in store for my children tomorrow. The world will be wonderful, they say; but from whose viewpoint? We need to live in a state of suspended animation - like a work of art – in a state of enchantment, detached, detached.
Old 11-02-2007, 22:55
Winterlover

Location: Not the end of the world...but you can see it from here
Carling Homecoming for me too - it was a really special. Also, Wolves Civic on the PPF tour was excellent.

“History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed; Art has remembered the people, because they created”. William Morris
Old 11-02-2007, 23:00
Stretched out in the sun

sub zero temperatures and ian brown aside, wembley arena on the gh tour 2002. i still have an amazing image in my head of the entire pit, from front to just below us at the back where we were sitting, bobbing up and down to motown junk.

Old 11-02-2007, 23:06
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellin Caillou View Post
Brighton 2004. O, yes!
Snap.

It was the first time I'd seen them, and because it was the first date of the tour, I had no idea what the setlist would be like. Suitably so, my heart near enough stopped as the opening chords of Enola/Alone were played, and as the sample at the beginning of Faster started. There are few things better than shouting "I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing" at/with Nicky Wire.