Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-08-2010, 01:47
Bored of being bored

Thanks for the links MarilynRoxie and Keely!
He sounds like a fairly decent bloke!
Old 16-08-2010, 12:34
Freed from the century

Ha, I've won a proof copy of this on Ben's site! Forgot I'd even entered - I ended up on there last week via John Robb and then his Twitter pages.

How exciting! Sorry not to have pointed people at the comp, I genuinely just entered my e-mail address and then forgot it...
Old 16-08-2010, 15:57
I live to fall asleep

Glad everyone is liking the interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allofwho View Post
I didn't realize he was a fan of the band at all. I don't know what this makes me think about the book...interesting...
I'm glad you found the interview insightful. That was my aim--although of course I didn't know what to expect when I was setting it up, since I didn't know anything about Ben prior to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
Ha, I've won a proof copy of this on Ben's site! Forgot I'd even entered - I ended up on there last week via John Robb and then his Twitter pages.

How exciting! Sorry not to have pointed people at the comp, I genuinely just entered my e-mail address and then forgot it...
I just saw a winner was announced. Very cool! Congrats!
Old 16-08-2010, 19:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynRoxie View Post
Piece by Ben in the latest NME on why he wrote Richard:
Am yet to read it, but by that article I'm not impressed. A decent writer should be able to articulate themselves without apologising at the beginning of their piece about a half baked statement they intend to draw out throughout the article. Must try harder.
Old 16-08-2010, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeley View Post
Glad everyone is liking the interview!

I'm glad you found the interview insightful. That was my aim--although of course I didn't know what to expect when I was setting it up, since I didn't know anything about Ben prior to it.
I'm really trying to give the book the benefit of the doubt. I know I will buy it and read it.

Maybe it's a good thing that he's a fan; hopefully that means he's not just in it for money by rehashing old information. I also liked that he said that he didn't include people's specific memories of Richey in the book, rather just used them to form an impression of him.
Old 16-08-2010, 23:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
I'm really trying to give the book the benefit of the doubt. I know I will buy it and read it.

Maybe it's a good thing that he's a fan; hopefully that means he's not just in it for money by rehashing old information. I also liked that he said that he didn't include people's specific memories of Richey in the book, rather just used them to form an impression of him.
I'm hoping people will read the novel a) so at least if the book is hated, the hate is actually justified and b) because this is a unique opportunity for Manics fans to give feedback and ask questions directly to the author. If there's something you love / hate / don't understand at all, you can tell him!

His openness to us is rather impressive and I think speaks volumes just by itself as to the type of person he is and what his intentions are with this novel. Frankly, if anyone thinks the novel sucks after reading it then fair enough, but nobody should attack Ben or be suspicious of his character because there's no reason to dislike him as a person.
Old 17-08-2010, 01:40

Quote:
I'm hoping people will read the novel a) so at least if the book is hated, the hate is actually justified and b) because this is a unique opportunity for Manics fans to give feedback and ask questions directly to the author. If there's something you love / hate / don't understand at all, you can tell him!

His openness to us is rather impressive and I think speaks volumes just by itself as to the type of person he is and what his intentions are with this novel. Frankly, if anyone thinks the novel sucks after reading it then fair enough, but nobody should attack Ben or be suspicious of his character because there's no reason to dislike him as a person.
yeah I meant to send in questions for the interview, but I was studying for the social studies praxis all summer and it totally slipped my mind. It's good to know that he gave off such a good impression to you during the interview. Thanks for sharing! Are you doing any follow-up interviews with him?
Old 17-08-2010, 02:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
yeah I meant to send in questions for the interview, but I was studying for the social studies praxis all summer and it totally slipped my mind. It's good to know that he gave off such a good impression to you during the interview. Thanks for sharing! Are you doing any follow-up interviews with him?
Did the interview cover whatever questions you had (if you had any in mind, specifically)? I tried to cover everything else that I felt fans wanted to ask but maybe were too afraid to ask themselves.

And, yeah, there'll be a second interview sometime after the book is released (it's out October 1, I believe). I'm still debating the time frame of that because I want to make sure as many fans who want to read the novel and ask questions are able to do so without rushing. I'll be posting various notices as time goes on though, so if you want to participate, there should be plenty of time to do so!
Old 17-08-2010, 22:01

Quote:
Did the interview cover whatever questions you had (if you had any in mind, specifically)? I tried to cover everything else that I felt fans wanted to ask but maybe were too afraid to ask themselves.

And, yeah, there'll be a second interview sometime after the book is released (it's out October 1, I believe). I'm still debating the time frame of that because I want to make sure as many fans who want to read the novel and ask questions are able to do so without rushing. I'll be posting various notices as time goes on though, so if you want to participate, there should be plenty of time to do so!
It went beyond questions I had thought of - very informative and thorough! This would have been basically my main question:

Did you ever feel any pressure / anxiety while writing the novel, being aware that it directly included many people who are still alive and quite well known?

And just wondering how much he worried about what Richey's family would think, and how he dealt with that.

PS I love the way you've redesigned the layout at cultofrichey.com!
Old 17-08-2010, 22:27
Builder of routine

Quote:

I thought the answer to my question was interesting, though I should say it was more philosophical than I'd expected. I wanted to know if he'd researched the fans.
Old 18-08-2010, 01:25
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
It went beyond questions I had thought of - very informative and thorough! This would have been basically my main question:

Did you ever feel any pressure / anxiety while writing the novel, being aware that it directly included many people who are still alive and quite well known?

And just wondering how much he worried about what Richey's family would think, and how he dealt with that.
Well, good! I'm glad your question was answered. I would have felt bad otherwise. I tried to include everything I could think of that I knew fans were wondering as a whole but were maybe hesitant to ask individually.

Quote:
PS I love the way you've redesigned the layout at cultofrichey.com!
Aw, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
I thought the answer to my question was interesting, though I should say it was more philosophical than I'd expected. I wanted to know if he'd researched the fans.
Haha, sorry, the tone of the interview was most likely my fault - although I didn't expect my questions would get such in depth responses though; that was pretty cool.

He answered your question though, didn't he? He basically said he knows what the fans are like and is even one himself. He's also said the story wasn't written for the fans; therefore, there'd really have been no need to research the fans.
Old 18-08-2010, 04:46
Builder of routine

Hmm. I find his point of view interesting like I said, but I think I'm finding it a bit contradictory to declare aspirations like not writing for the fans, and wanting to write about the man, not myth as he said in the interview - the book reads pretty much like a lovely sort of tribute, and seems to be based off the myth of Richey - a troubled young man telling a story about his inner turmoil.
Old 18-08-2010, 15:14
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Hmm. I find his point of view interesting like I said, but I think I'm finding it a bit contradictory to declare aspirations like not writing for the fans, and wanting to write about the man, not myth as he said in the interview - the book reads pretty much like a lovely sort of tribute, and seems to be based off the myth of Richey - a troubled young man telling a story about his inner turmoil.
Well, I have my own opinions on all of this, but I'd rather wait to explain it all in the full review of the book I'll post in a few weeks. I don't want to give out choppy tidbits of things I plan to cover in the review because I fear things might be misunderstood out of context.

Other than that, you can always contact him yourself with any questions you have, or else submit questions when I start collecting them for the next interview.
Old 18-08-2010, 15:25
Builder of routine

Quote:
Well, I have my own opinions on all of this, but I'd rather wait to explain it all in the full review of the book I'll post in a few weeks. I don't want to give out choppy tidbits of things I plan to cover in the review because I fear things might be misunderstood out of context.

Other than that, you can always contact him yourself with any questions you have, or else submit questions when I start collecting them for the next interview.
I look forward to the review and I now actually look forward to the book, he's defended himself very well so unless it's completely dire (i doubt), it should be a fantastic and guiltless read.
Old 18-08-2010, 17:29
Builder of routine

Quote:

*nods* I would have to finish it first I just kind of, got occupied with other things, I was kind of worried/let down that I wasn't compelled to pick it up since... I'll probably give you questions whenever you want anyway.