Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-07-2014, 12:10
Under neon loneliness

Most Typical Manics song?

To complement the other thread. I'm not asking for the definitive or most important Manics song - far from it in all probability.

If you had one track to demonstrate the Manics' sound to someone, which would you pick?
Old 29-07-2014, 12:43
Bored out of my mind

You Love Us as a general starting point anyway!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 29-07-2014, 13:27
Doors slowly closing

It's Not War is the most Manics-by-numbers song closely followed by Autumnsong but I wouldn't use either to demonstrate their sound to anyone.

They've rewritten ADFL so many times that it has to be that.
Old 29-07-2014, 13:34
I live to fall asleep

Interesting question really, as I think it's much easier to select something completely atypical than something that's generically them as their sound has changed pretty radically in various blocks. What would have been typical of the SATT-PFAYM era (which, JFPL doesn't really fit into as an 'era') would sound out of place earlier in their career, etc.

But yea, I'd agree with DC above that ADFL, in all its various forms, is probably it both lyrically and sonically.
Old 29-07-2014, 13:58
Under neon loneliness

ADFL is totally unrepresentative of their GT/GATS/THB/KYE/JFPL sound though... hmm.
Old 29-07-2014, 14:11
Bored out of my mind

Do the Manics actually have a typical sound? (James' vocals and guitar playing style aside!) I think there's alot of variety in their back catalogue in comparison to alot of bands out there.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 29-07-2014, 14:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
ADFL is totally unrepresentative of their GT/GATS/THB/KYE/JFPL sound though... hmm.
Absolutely, that's what I'm saying. But, given the many evolutions of their sound what is completely typical of one era sounds like a totally different band to another.

I really don't think there's any song you could pick that would fit into all (or even more than half?) of their incarnations?
Old 29-07-2014, 14:15
Born to end

"His Last Painting", maybe? For some reason I feel like something off Know Your Enemy would make sense here... it's not an easy question.
Old 29-07-2014, 14:24
I live to fall asleep

I suppose if you were going to have them rerecord one song from each album in the studio (to avoid production etc being an issue) to create an albums worth of songs that could, in another universe, be one Manics album you could go with something like:

- You Love Us
- Sleepflower
- Faster/Revol/PCP take your pick
- Kevin Carter
- YSTS
- Found That Soul
- 1985 (bit of an outlyer here, which I suppose proves the point)
- YLAINE
- Peeled Apples
- Its Not War
- Anthem For A Lost Cause (Again, doesn't really work but probably the closest option)
- Walk Me to The Bridge

Those songs are all fairly similarish in overall sound, tempo, instrumentation but 1985 and Anthem don't really fit.

I don't think there is anything that could be typical of all their periods no. Maybe it's not ADFL - maybe Faster conveys more of the essence of the band and would fit better onto more albums. Does make you realise what a versatile band they are doesn't it.
Old 29-07-2014, 14:42
Under neon loneliness

Jackie Collins Existential Question Time perhaps? It has a bit of everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedFox View Post
For some reason I feel like something off Know Your Enemy would make sense here... it's not an easy question.
Agreed on both counts.

Or perhaps there's a b-side out there which "typifies" both the melodic and caustic Manics?
Old 29-07-2014, 15:01
I live to fall asleep

Found That Soul I'd go with perhaps.
Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Solo/Chorus.
It's the post EMG era band trying to play like the pre-EMG band (could say the same about Judge Yr'self)

And the video's got books in... What could be more manics?!

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 29-07-2014, 15:25
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
It's the post EMG era band trying to play like the pre-EMG band (could say the same about Judge Yr'self)
Old 29-07-2014, 15:42
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I thought we'd came to the conclusion on here that the vocal part on it sounds like it was recorded much later?

If not... my bad, but it does sound a lot more like JDB's voice after it's matured a bit

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 29-07-2014, 17:32
Winterlover

Some feel it was recorded that way, I'm undecided. They said it was the last recording session with Richey, but of course, they could be lying. Might take another listen tonight.
Old 29-07-2014, 18:53
Winterlover

I do actually reckon the Judge Yr'self out there was recorded around 2002/2003.

Most typical song? I'd say something from Postcards, as they're pretty much trying to copy their past glories on the album. It's Not War is a good shout.