Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-08-2016, 19:22
Freed from the century

I haven't been able to find it mentioned here already but there's the spoken track Nicky did with Loz and John Doran, titled 'Marguerita Time' which was available via The Quietus.

https://soundcloud.com/thequietus/ni...eat-john-doran

EDIT: Presumably it's the one marked 'Various - Hubris' from 2015. I'll leave it up anyway.

Last edited by Automatik; 23-08-2016 at 19:26.
Old 23-08-2016, 19:49
Knowlede Is Power

Rare Lifeblood demos CD-R...

Old 23-08-2016, 22:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 View Post

Did these ever leak? Would love to hear these tracks.
Old 24-08-2016, 12:49
Freed from the century

I seem to remember a non-album track being given away prior to the release of Postcards, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called.
Old 24-08-2016, 14:47
Freed from the century

One of the tracks from the Hammersmith gig was released via Amazon. I think it may have been Faster. (I'm too lazy to go into my music library and check)
Old 24-08-2016, 14:57
Freed from the century

Only indirectly related to the topic, but a question not worthy of its own thread: listening back to the Wire-penned Lightning Seeds track (Waiting For Today To Happen), it's striking how similar in sentiment the lyrics are to Some Kind Of Bliss and I Don't Need Anyone. And, in turn, to Mr Carbohydrate and No One Knows What It's Like To Be Me.

Does anyone know if Waiting For Today To Happen, Some Kind Of Bliss and I Don't Need Anyone were entirely original, tailored to other people or if they were unused tracks from the EMG sessions?
Old 24-08-2016, 15:35
Freed from the century

Don't think Wire wrote the Kylie lyrics did he ? Thought it was just JDB&Sean providing music.

Genuinely consider Waiting For Today To Happen to be one of Wire's finest lyrics (and the rerecorded '97' version on the lightning seeds greatest hits is the best version musically too).Beautifully captures the feeling of impending doom in the early morning. Can only think it was perhaps too direct as a manics song at that time ?

Would love to know more about the song as have never seen it discussed much by either Nicky or Ian Broudie ?

Last edited by Glyn; 24-08-2016 at 15:43.
Old 24-08-2016, 17:59
Freed from the century

You're right about Some Kind Of Bliss - that's credited to Kylie, James and Sean only. I Don't Need Anyone is credited to Kylie, James and Nicky though. (I always thought both tracks involved James, Nicky and Sean.)

I agree with your view of Waiting For Today To Happen (which really is a great song), with one caveat: Mr Carbohydrate and No One Knows What It's Like To Be Me could be considered comparably 'direct' and autobiographical (from Nicky's side) and they both made EMG-era b-sides.

It would be very interesting to learn more about how the Nicky/Broudie collaboration came about. To me, Waiting For Today To Happen sounds like a Manics track sung and performed by the Lightning Seeds, hence my original question about whether it was a discarded EMG-era b-side.
Old 24-08-2016, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
A few more:

Johnny Boy - Johnny Boy Theme (JDB produced)
Underworld - Jigsaw (JDb / Loz Williams remix)
New Young Pony Club – Chaos (MSP mix)
Grönemeyer – To The Sea – JDB (guitar)
All added :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Beautiful South – Ol’ Red Eyes Is back [Much Later with… VHS] – JDB (Vocals/Guitar)
Debated with this one, decided to leave it out as I was currently only including audio only stuff. Good spot though never released this existed.

Equally cheers for info on instrumental version of JFPL, glad I wasn't going mad.
Old 24-08-2016, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg1979 View Post
There was an exclusive session version of Everything Must Go given away on this CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Q-Pr...elease/6318574

Also another Patrick Jones / James track, It Will Take More Than A Grave To Bury You:

https://soundcloud.com/patrickjonesp...e-than-a-grave
Both added in now :-)

i've included the Everything Must Go track in the Futurology era assuming it was recorded near when the CD was released. If you've got more info on when it was recorded I'll update if needed.
Old 24-08-2016, 19:14

Quote:
Wow didn't know this existed, I've added to Lifeblood era.
Old 24-08-2016, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidj View Post
One of the tracks from the Hammersmith gig was released via Amazon. I think it may have been Faster. (I'm too lazy to go into my music library and check)
Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Fouinard View Post
Live Tracks
Faster (Live From Hammersmith Working Men's Club 5th August 2010) [available only as a VBR MP3 from Amazon UK]
All happily listed already but cheers for post, honestly I'm surprised how much there was so I'd rather a track was pointed out twice than never :-)
Old 24-08-2016, 20:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Does anyone know if Waiting For Today To Happen, Some Kind Of Bliss and I Don't Need Anyone were entirely original, tailored to other people or if they were unused tracks from the EMG sessions?
From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Kind_of_Bliss
(primary sources referenced therein, seem legit)

Quote:
"After Bradfield sent her a demo of the album track "I Don't Need Anyone", Minogue was dissatisfied with the lyrical content and re-wrote the track herself. Despite this, Minogue found it "difficult" to write the song so Bradfield had taken pieces of the original demo lyrics and mixed them with other lyrics she had written to create the finishing product of "I Don't Need Anyone". She found this method of writing "intriguing" and wanted to do it again, so she decided to do this with "Some Kind of Bliss", writing it alongside Bradfield and Sean Moore. Minogue commented about this method, saying "He took one half of one set [of lyrics] and took another half from another set of lyrics and merged them together, which I found interesting because it was something I wouldn't have done because, in my mind they're two separate things." She later commented that she felt it worked together."

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 25-08-2016, 16:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster82 View Post
I seem to remember a non-album track being given away prior to the release of Postcards, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called.
I'm Leaving You for Solitude
Old 25-08-2016, 16:21
Winterlover

Quote:

I
Want
It