Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-06-2015, 19:19
Born to end

Arrow Help Me, please! Manic Lyrics

Hi guys!
I'm Luca, from Italy a fresh fan of the Manic and I'd appreciate your help because I need to understand better the meaning of a quote of "Motorcycle Emptiness".
When James says "survival's natural as sorrow" (or survival is natural as sorrow- I've found both the versions) he means that sorrow and pain are ordinary as survival (something like "pain and istinct of survival are basically two normal components of your existence") or it's more something like "the nature, the basis of survival and life is painful
and afflictive).

Hope I made it clear (my english is quite poor) and I'd really appreciate your help!

Luca

Last edited by Luca; 17-06-2015 at 19:24.
Old 17-06-2015, 23:36
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Hello, Luca! Where from Italy are you? My hometown's near Trieste. (living a bit too far now, but, whatever... )

I believe someone else will be able to give you a better explanation than I, but I felt the need I had to respond to this, because you're making some interesting points.

First of all, let's remind ourselves that it is poetry what we're talking about, therefore there is ALWAYS more than one meaning in each phrase you can see. And the beauty of poetry (and art in general) is, among else, that it can be interpreted (understood) in many different ways. Remember - it's not solely "what the author wanted to say", it is also "how you as the individual from the audience percieve it."

In that sense, both of the meanings you specified are correct.

Now, if you're more interested on "what the author wanted to say", the way to find out is to research the particular phylosophical and artistic influences the band had when writing this song, and maybe the interviews might help too.

But if there is anyone else who knows better, it's your turn to enlighten us.

So, yeah, this whole thread can as well be a poetry discussion on the band's lyrics.