Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-09-2013, 12:30
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
SSI is one of those songs which I'll never forgive them for overlooking as a single, it would definitely have done better than either TLORN or Empty Souls, as would 1985. Weirdest single choices ever, that record.
I wanted Glasnost to be a single but it wasn't to be!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-09-2013, 13:00
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Well, I for one am fucking glad they didn't choose one of the corniest, worst songs for a Manics single. The name alone just makes me sick. Fucking Glass Snot! Shame they had to put such a shitty song on a near perfect album!

*rant over*
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 20-09-2013, 14:08
A self-made vacuum

Empty Souls was a good choice for a single. Richard Nixon was not.
Beware!
Old 20-09-2013, 22:52
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Well, I for one am fucking glad they didn't choose one of the corniest, worst songs for a Manics single. The name alone just makes me sick. Fucking Glass Snot! Shame they had to put such a shitty song on a near perfect album!

*rant over*
http://www.delirium-on-helium.co.uk/...ct06/23cam.mp3

(Thanks to Lindz, of course).
Old 20-09-2013, 22:56
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
YES JAMES!

However, he did say that I'm Not Working is also complete and utter shit so I have mixed feelings about his comments!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 20-09-2013, 22:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
YES JAMES!

However, he did say that I'm Not Working is also complete and utter shit so I have mixed feelings about his comments!
Yeah, I was outraged about that. It was probably because I think someone accused it of sounding like 'Foreigner' once, which he might have got a bit insecure about, so then became quick to dismiss the song.
Old 21-09-2013, 12:59
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
SSI is one of those songs which I'll never forgive them for overlooking as a single, it would definitely have done better than either TLORN or Empty Souls, as would 1985. Weirdest single choices ever, that record.
Didn't both of those songs chart at number two?
Old 21-09-2013, 13:05
Under neon loneliness

Probably, but do you think anyone who wouldn't have automatically bought any single from that album went out to buy TLORN?
Old 21-09-2013, 13:20
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookUK View Post
I'm tentatively assuming that a few of you must have taken part in this, but I've not seen anything about on the forum - so here goes.

A couple of months back Manics fan Ian Lipthorpe (@pyfbrown on Twitter) asked that other fans on Twitter submit to him their top 50 favourite Manics songs in order. A couple of weeks ago he compiled the 60+ responses into a master list which is here. Perhaps not surprisingly the list was heavily skewed towards the early albums - despite the best efforts of contrary sods like me putting 'To Repel Ghosts' at #1 - but there are also some fairly surprising results. The whole site is worth a look - Ian obviously put a lot of effort into the whole exercise and there are all kinds of sub-lists, charts, and other statistical bits and bobs.

The Top Ten (Full list)

1. Faster
2. Motorcycle Emptiness
3. A Design for Life
4. Yes
5. La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)
6. Motown Junk
7. Little Baby Nothing
8. Stay Beautiful
9. From Despair to Where
10. You Love Us

Just though I'd throw all this out to the forum to see how people feel about the list. Also, I took the chance to turn the top 20 into a 'List This' article for PopMatters, with my personal writeups on those particular songs.
Couple of surprising choices in the lower end of the list, glad to see William's Last Words in there. Not sure it'd make my own top 50 though, possibly.. can't believe I missed this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Didn't both of those songs chart at number two?
Kept off number one by Elvis both times I think. Such a strange era really, Lifeblood is considered a commercial flop yet they were doing arenas and got a pair of number two singles out of it. Between The Soulmates, Antarctic and the God Save The Manics EP it looks like they were ready for another single, god knows what happened there though.
Old 22-09-2013, 13:03
Born to end

As the organiser of this chart first of all apologies to everyone on this forum as I have only recently discovered it and had my account activated! We were always looking for as many participants as possible so it's a shame some of you couldn't take part....maybe next time!! Having said that, blogging all the responses we did have meant my life disappeared for a couple of months, so god knows what would have happened with more!!

Obviously everyone isn't going to agree on the final chart, that's what makes it fun, but I do think the number of responses was high enough and the fans taking part representative enough in general to make it pretty accurate. There seemed to be fans who joined the Manics story at each album along the way, so fairly even.

It all encouraged us to listen to all our albums/B-sides again and cranked up the interest in Rewind the Film and the upcoming tour even more than usual, so all good really!!
Old 22-09-2013, 13:40
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
hahaha love it. Lindz asks for three songs and james goes there's more let me give you more

He's 100% correct about the pish that is drug drug druggy. Even the title makes me cringe. Don't agree with his opinion of i'm not working but the description was hilarious
Old 22-09-2013, 20:59
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyf View Post
As the organiser of this chart first of all apologies to everyone on this forum as I have only recently discovered it and had my account activated! We were always looking for as many participants as possible so it's a shame some of you couldn't take part....maybe next time!! Having said that, blogging all the responses we did have meant my life disappeared for a couple of months, so god knows what would have happened with more!!

Obviously everyone isn't going to agree on the final chart, that's what makes it fun, but I do think the number of responses was high enough and the fans taking part representative enough in general to make it pretty accurate. There seemed to be fans who joined the Manics story at each album along the way, so fairly even.

It all encouraged us to listen to all our albums/B-sides again and cranked up the interest in Rewind the Film and the upcoming tour even more than usual, so all good really!!
It was a Herculean effort, but well worth it I think!

My PopMatters article has 148 likes and a few comments (plus some more on Facebook thanks to Manic St Mania), so if that's any indication it should have got the list out to a fair few more people.
Old 22-09-2013, 22:23
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookUK View Post
It was a Herculean effort, but well worth it I think!

My PopMatters article has 148 likes and a few comments (plus some more on Facebook thanks to Manic St Mania), so if that's any indication it should have got the list out to a fair few more people.
Good stuff!! Still getting views from John Robb's mention on Louder than War too!
Old 22-09-2013, 23:37
Knowlede Is Power

60 participants is a crap number. Given the sheer number of songs the variance must have been huge. If I was to plot the means and standard deviations the SDs would be huge and there would be no significant difference any of the songs. And no details on who participated? If all 60 are of the mentality that the manics have done nothing decent since holy bible then this is the kind of list that would appear
Old 23-09-2013, 10:54
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesic View Post
60 participants is a crap number. Given the sheer number of songs the variance must have been huge. If I was to plot the means and standard deviations the SDs would be huge and there would be no significant difference any of the songs. And no details on who participated? If all 60 are of the mentality that the manics have done nothing decent since holy bible then this is the kind of list that would appear
Of course that isn't the mentality of all 60. If you actually looked at the site you'd see exactly how everyone placed songs in their individual lists and in a lot of cases, read the thoughts of those who placed particular songs highest. Again - Pyf wasn't searching for the meaning of life or deciding the fate of the universe, it was a fun exercise on Twitter. There's no need to pour scorn.