Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-05-2018, 08:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBazB View Post
Listening to it now. It's definitely just a remix and edit of the original version, with additional strings and theremin. No re-recording of drums, guitars, bass or vocals. I like having it as an alternative, but it would have been better as a full-length version, and no theremin! That theremin part has polluted my brain so much that I'm convinced I can hear it buried in the original mix now!
I think the "goal" if you will of this remix was to get a version that somewhat represents the version the guys do live. Although in that scenario the theramin makes literally less than zero sense - and it is fucking horrible as you say. And yes, the vocals and bass are the same - but {engage pedant mode} I'm certain there are changes/additions to the guitars and drums. I know, I know - sacrilege right?! But hear me out.

OK; so the guitars... Clearly the lead guitar is still exactly the same, it'd be mad to re-do that part, since it's so recognisable and distinctive. But there are extra layers in this mix not present on the GT version. The original features a fairly clean rhythm that plays the chords without any embellishments, and it's also pretty buried in the mix. But check out the little flicks on the rhythm guitar at 2:01 and 2:27 in the FD version. They aren't there on GT (not to my ears at least.) And again, after the "all we want from you...." part ends, there's another more distorted rhythm guitar at 3:08. So that bit is re-recorded or a track that was ditched at the time. But it sounds suspiciously like JDB circa 2002 to me.

On the drums, there is clearly a difference here. It might be that they used the same software that they used to programme the drums on GT, but just changed the sounds. But they sound like live drums, not a software track. For a start there are no 16th hi-hat sounds on the original chorus, but they are definitely there on the FD version, and the kick drum sounds very different too. Again, my suspicion here is that Sean recorded the drums ala live but copied the original track as best he could. Again, the remaining part is the mechanical snare (as that is also distinctive) but perhaps with Sean's snare sound patched over it.

Go back and listen again. You'll see what I mean. {disengage pedant mode}

Remember this was all done at a time of retrospective activity for the band. They went back and re-recorded aspects of Judge Yrself (if reports are to be believed) so perhaps Motorcycle was part of that session?

Either way, this is another of those fun little mysteries attached to the band.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 30-05-2018 at 08:45.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:10
I live to fall asleep

Guys, it's shit. Let's move on.
Old 30-05-2018, 12:17
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The theremin is hideous but i do love it on the stealth sonic orchestra remix of the everlasting.
I agree the theremin works much better on that remix of The Everlasting.

And also on Rewind the Film’s instrumental Manorbier. I like the theremin as an instrument very much, but it’s a very specific-sounding thing, if you take my meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I think the "goal" if you will of this remix was to get a version that somewhat represents the version the guys do live. Although in that scenario the theramin makes literally less than zero sense - and it is fucking horrible as you say. And yes, the vocals and bass are the same - but {engage pedant mode} I'm certain there are changes/additions to the guitars and drums. I know, I know - sacrilege right?! But hear me out.

OK; so the guitars... [....]
(snip)

That is some detailed analysis! Love it!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 30-05-2018, 19:37
Born to end

Quote:
The original features a fairly clean rhythm that plays the chords without any embellishments, and it's also pretty buried in the mix. But check out the little flicks on the rhythm guitar at 2:01 and 2:27 in the FD version. They aren't there on GT (not to my ears at least.) And again, after the "all we want from you...." part ends, there's another more distorted rhythm guitar at 3:08. So that bit is re-recorded or a track that was ditched at the time. But it sounds suspiciously like JDB circa 2002 to me.
Ok, good spot. Listening more carefully, I can hear the extra guitar track you mention, and I think I agree that it's a new addition as it sounds more like JDB circa 2002/3, than 1991/2. I stand corrected.

Quote:
On the drums, there is clearly a difference here. It might be that they used the same software that they used to programme the drums on GT, but just changed the sounds. But they sound like live drums, not a software track. For a start there are no 16th hi-hat sounds on the original chorus, but they are definitely there on the FD version, and the kick drum sounds very different too. Again, my suspicion here is that Sean recorded the drums ala live but copied the original track as best he could. Again, the remaining part is the mechanical snare (as that is also distinctive) but perhaps with Sean's snare sound patched over it.
I don't think this is as clear-cut as you say. Whilst it's true that Sean could have taken the time to re-record the drums precisely, I think the note velocities are just too similar to the original for it to be a new recording. More likely that the MIDI notes from the original drum programming have just been assigned to updated and more realistic drum samples. You specifically mention the 16ths in the chorus. On the original, this pattern is there, but it's assigned to a tambourine sound. In the remix, it's lower in volume and might have been changed to a hi-hat sound, but to my ears, it's still a tambourine sound. It's difficult to be sure, as I'm not listening to a lossless file, and the mp3 compression artifacts mess up the clarity of these little details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Guys, it's shit. Let's move on.
I know it all seems very pedantic. We all moved on successfully 15 years ago, but it's still a fun discussion for those of us interested in the intricacies of music production and performance

Last edited by SBazB; 30-05-2018 at 19:40. Reason: clarity
Old 08-04-2021, 21:44
An imitation of dignity

sorry to reawake a long dead thread, but is there by chance a flac floating around of this. unlike most here I really love this version…
Old 09-04-2021, 15:35
Bored of being bored

It's on Youtube, so you may be able to rip the audio from it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEncsoCg6M
Old 10-04-2021, 07:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Has it been clarified which release this version exists on?
Old 10-04-2021, 10:43
An imitation of dignity

i know that, but that is not exactly Flac quality… I had it before as it was uploaded a million years ago. But just recently had a computer crash so lost a lot. Same w the GT promo w the Streetcar intro of LBN…

also is the *** section gone or did I lose access to it? haven't been on here for a while and maybe my post count was reset? NVM saw it takes 100 posts nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
It's on Youtube, so you may be able to rip the audio from it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEncsoCg6M

Last edited by fireplayer; 10-04-2021 at 11:11. Reason: saw rule change.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:56
An imitation of dignity

https://www.discogs.com/Manic-Street...elease/8167577

thats the only version I know that has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
Old 10-04-2021, 11:10
An imitation of dignity

is there a lossless section on *** nowadays? also why is that censored?
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13
An imitation of dignity

Also nice to see you in a non-kent forum

Quote:
Old 10-04-2021, 16:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplayer View Post
https://www.discogs.com/Manic-Street...elease/8167577

thats the only version I know that has it.
That’s Japanese, the European version with the same song lengths has it too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplayer View Post
Also nice to see you in a non-kent forum
Haha cool
Who were you at the Kent forum?
Old 10-04-2021, 18:40
Freed from the century

Quote:
It was released in Europe as the bside on a radio promo for Forever Delayed to promote Lipstick Traces. As suggested above I suspect it was done at the same time that Judge Yrself and Take the Skinheads Bowling were reworked.

Still annoyed that I didn't 'lift it' from our student radio station when I had the chance!

Last edited by Glyn; 10-04-2021 at 18:44.
Old 10-04-2021, 20:55
An imitation of dignity

same name. but I rule the biggest kent group on fb now lol.

is there a european one w the same length? mustve missed that one…
Quote:

Haha cool
Who were you at the Kent forum?
Old 10-04-2021, 20:56
An imitation of dignity

Forever delayed as a promo single? can you link it on discogs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
It was released in Europe as the bside on a radio promo for Forever Delayed to promote Lipstick Traces. As suggested above I suspect it was done at the same time that Judge Yrself and Take the Skinheads Bowling were reworked.

Still annoyed that I didn't 'lift it' from our student radio station when I had the chance!