Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Fave Studio Album
Generation Terrorists 6 6.32%
Gold Against The Soul 3 3.16%
The Holy Bible 48 50.53%
Everything Must Go 11 11.58%
This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours 7 7.37%
Know Your Enemy 3 3.16%
Lifeblood 6 6.32%
Send Away The Tigers 2 2.11%
Journal For Plague Lovers 7 7.37%
Postcards From A Young Man 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-08-2010, 18:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Definately Lifeblood, just for pure lushness, also I have trouble hearing what James sings but in Lifeblood I can pick out quiet a few lines and words, I'm still stuck by the main chorus line in Glasnost though so if anyone can help
http://www.removables.co.uk/09_lifeb...8_glasnost.htm
Old 19-08-2010, 18:39
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorticist View Post
Cheers for that!! all these years I though he was singing about getting cancer and it was we can still fall in love
Old 19-08-2010, 18:58

Lifeblood. The most beautiful album they have ever done. sure, it might have the mass appeal of the others, or the punk riffs of the earlier albums. But it has something magical feeling to it, the others ones i can play the odd song off, but lifeblood i [I]have[/I to play from start to finish.

Lifeblood is first amongst a very good bunch of albums, their is no bad manics album

Manic Gig Roll Call
30/05/2009 Roundhouse, London
31/10/2010 De Montford Hall, Leicester
17/12/2011 o2, London
Old 19-08-2010, 19:04
Stretched out in the sun

Here we go again...

*deep breath*

1. The Holy Bible
2. Everything Must Go
3. Journal For Plague Lovers
4. Generation Terrorists
5. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
6. Send Away The Tigers
7. Gold Against The Soul
8. Lifeblood
9. Know Your Enemy - the only MSP album that genuinely sucks, IMO

Last edited by Mr Richey; 19-08-2010 at 19:40.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:20

I voted for TIMTTMY just because it had my favorite guitar riffs to play. I also loved the diversity and it seemed the first album where they really embraced their Welsh heritage. I think it is the most middle of the road album they had but I don't mind that.

The Holy Bible is certainly the most acclaimed for good reason. And GT is amongst the coolest albums of all time.

I have to agree with one of the comments above about Lifeblood. It is the one album where I feel compelled to listen to from start to finish every-time I play it. The melancholy on that is just gorgeous.

But there really isn't an album that doesn't have some spectacular moments. And my favorite can change depending on my mood. Sign of a great band I guess.

I'm an exquisite distiller of ennui...
Old 19-08-2010, 19:31

Poor Gold Against Soul
And who voted for Postcards, is the new single THAT good or have they heard a leak we all haven't?

Manic Gig Roll Call
30/05/2009 Roundhouse, London
31/10/2010 De Montford Hall, Leicester
17/12/2011 o2, London
Old 19-08-2010, 19:43
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleof88 View Post
And who voted for Postcards, is the new single THAT good or have they heard a leak we all haven't?
Happyfeet?

I was thinking there are 4 albums I really like. GATS, THB, EMG, and JFPL. The others are just alright, like.
Old 19-08-2010, 20:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleof88 View Post
Poor Gold Against Soul
If this was a "second favourite album" poll, it would have my vote. Brilliant album.
Old 19-08-2010, 20:17

voted for The Holy Bible... it just remains (and i'm almost certain it will always remain) my personal favourite for the mix of amazing (and bizarre) lyrics with really interesting, different music which is still overflowing with accessible melodies throughout.
in order i'd say:
1 the holy bible
2 everything must go (a close second)
3 journal for plague lovers (the next most consistently brilliant, not a bad song on it)
4 gold against the soul (gets a slating from the band other than the singles but i'd say there is only one bad song - gold against the soul (which is REALLY bad) and as it's at the end i just kind of forget it exists, otherwise a really coherent album with some of the band's absolute best work on it - the singles basically)
5 generation terrorists (what's good is the manics at their absolute best - motorcycle emptiness, you love us, little baby nothing, but what's bad is pretty dire - damn dog, repeat us)
6 this is my truth tell me yours (i just really hate i'm not working, delete that and this album may be higher - oh and be natural as well)
7 send away the tigers (not a bad song actually - well underdogs is not great - but the best songs (send away the tigers, your love alone) are not quite as good as the best on this is my truth (tolerate, nobody loved you) and the not quite so brilliant - winterlovers, indian summer, are not as good as truth's - my little empire, symm)
8 lifeblood (really like this album and it contains one of my favourite 2000's manics songs in "i live to fall asleep" but unfortunately the album comes in this low due to always/never and emily which really are a bit crap, and for the fact that the singles really should have been 1985, then i live to fall asleep, then solitude sometimes is - how different a campaign this could have been?)
9 know your enemy (but i don't think this album sucks, it's just way too long with too many forgettable and rubbish songs - delete wattsville blues, his last painting, my guernica, epicentre, royal correspondent, convalescent, and probably baby elian and you've got a really good, much shorter, album there. as for baby elian, this is quite a good song although the lyrics - as much as i enjoyed them at the time - are quite clunky and the production is a bit shit, i'd be quite happy with a live revival though. i can just about take epicentre as well actually but again the lyrics are a bit shit.)

interested for myself to find out where i will stick postcards from a young man...

sorry i ended up going on for ages there, i do apologise!!!!
Old 19-08-2010, 20:18
Stretched out in the sun

This has been done a million times before and for the millionth and one time I'm voting The Holy Bible because it's just the perfect album.

In order (as if anyone cares):

1. The Holy Bible
2. Journal For Plague Lovers
3. Lifeblood
4. Gold Against The Soul
5. Generation Terrorist
6. Everything Must Go
7. This Is My Truth

8. Send Away The Tigers

9. Know Your Enemy
Old 19-08-2010, 20:22
I live to fall asleep

Find it hard to pick my favourite from the masterpieces that are: Generation Terrorists, The Holy Bible, Everything Must Go, Lifeblood and Journal for Plague Lovers - but someone has to stick up for Lifeblood so that gets my vote.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:06
Bored out of my mind

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours - It made me what I am today!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 19-08-2010, 21:14

THB, because it was the first Manics album that I listened to and I fell in love with them right away. I have a fantastic memory of sitting on the floor in my bedroom after school the day it came in the mail and listening to it while reading the lyrics booklet, and I knew I had come across something really, really special. I haven't had that experience before or since.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:21
Desire on its knees

Where's the option for 'All of them' - depending on my mood their albums all seem to serve a time and a place.
Arghh - can't choose, will have to vote later - no, The Holy Bible - has to be. It will be interesting to see where PFAYM comes in compared to the others....No Everything Must Go - oh sod it, i'll have to vote later..
Old 19-08-2010, 21:54
Doors slowly closing

It's nice to see all the albums have at least one vote. We all pray for pluralist babies.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---