Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 19:23
Doors slowly closing

And what's wrong with being gay?

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 04-10-2010, 00:08
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Yes, but they have not sold as many albums as The Clash nor have they ever achieved the same level of success The Clash gained internationally, particularly in the States. The Clash actually 'broke' in the US and save for a handful British bands, this rarely happens. They also sold out stadiums in the States back in the early 80's, the Manics can barely pull in 2,000 people to one gig in NYC.

I get what you're trying to say and for the most part, I agree, but comparing the Manics to The Clash's success isn't completely accurate even if it seems fairly cut and dry.
Did the Clash really sell out stadiums though? There's always been much said of The Clash playing Shea Stadium, but it has to be kept in mind that it was actually as support for The Who, rather than their own gig. I've always assumed that as this is the only Clash stadium gig that people mention, it means they never actually topped a stadium bill themselves.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Would have been the number,one Album easy this week 'thats the way it crumbles cookie wise'xx
Well they (Sony, the band etc) fucked it up from my point of view as I bought the album the week after release because thats when I (and most other people) get paid!

Back on topic, is anyone else a bit dissappointed that they haven't utilised Twitter more since the tour started? I was hoping for a few rehearsal tidbits, some back stage/crowd photos at the very least. Missed opportunity by the band I think.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
Did the Clash really sell out stadiums though? There's always been much said of The Clash playing Shea Stadium, but it has to be kept in mind that it was actually as support for The Who, rather than their own gig. I've always assumed that as this is the only Clash stadium gig that people mention, it means they never actually topped a stadium bill themselves.
They did sell a fucking lot a tickets for gigs at Bonds in New York though, I think the two things get confused.
Old 04-10-2010, 19:35
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Well they (Sony, the band etc) fucked it up from my point of view as I bought the album the week after release because thats when I (and most other people) get paid!

Back on topic, is anyone else a bit dissappointed that they haven't utilised Twitter more since the tour started? I was hoping for a few rehearsal tidbits, some back stage/crowd photos at the very least. Missed opportunity by the band I think.
people getting paid has bugger all to do with it ..its those darned saturday shoppers buying rubbish! As for twitter ...they pissed about with it for the album launch and there were a fair few fuck ups...mebbe they think twittering around gig time is jinxed!
Old 04-10-2010, 21:23
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
They did sell a fucking lot a tickets for gigs at Bonds in New York though, I think the two things get confused.
True, but I'm sure one of the various Clash books or maybe The Future Remains Unwritten says that the capacity of Bonds wasn't really all THAT big in the first place.

Hmmm, why am I trying to play down the popularity of my third favourite band?
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 04-10-2010, 21:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
And what's wrong with being gay?
Gay is often used as a word to mean silly or stupid, at least in my neck of the woods anyway. Although, i would spell that as ghey. I think there was a South Park episode about it.
Old 04-10-2010, 23:47
Freed from the century

I ain't going to run through 108 pages of this thread to find out so I'll just ask: is it Nicky that updates this twitter or is it some tech guy at Sony?
Old 05-10-2010, 00:15
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
I ain't going to run through 108 pages of this thread to find out so I'll just ask: is it Nicky that updates this twitter or is it some tech guy at Sony?
from what i gather he texts sean who then makes the intarwebzz work
Old 05-10-2010, 00:16
Administrator

it's just texted straight to twitter, isn't it?
Old 05-10-2010, 00:24
Desire on its knees

Talking

hola? lol
Old 05-10-2010, 00:40
Freed from the century

That's cool at least they come from Nick. There's not a whole lot to look at though, usually just posting lyrics.

Nice to see he's following FD
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I could probably name about 10 people who've been on X Factor and had big hits
Really? I'd struggle to think of five.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I could probably name about 10 people who've been on X Factor and had big hits,
Sorry I read this line wrong...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Sorry I read this line wrong...
Heh. Well, I've heard Joe McElderry enjoys a curry.