Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really like Escape Artist , its dark and haunting. I love it. Are you guys signed?
Old 14-02-2011, 04:41

Yesterday, I was listening to the radio and this song came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3rsha1ZtI

I'd never heard it before, but parts of it remind me a little bit of "Australia". I'm not very musical -- obviously -- so I wondered if anyone else could hear it in there? Feel free to call me crazy though, because, as I say, I am not musically-inclined at all!!

I thought there was a thread about other bands sounding like the Manics and I realize that this thread seems to have more to do with "looks", but I was too lazy to go farther back to find the other one!

Old 14-02-2011, 07:25

Can I just echo the previous sentiment s and say that I really miss Mansun too.
The great lost band of the 90,s
Old 14-02-2011, 11:52
Bored of being bored

Cara: the riff in the chorus sounds quite Manics-y, but it probably just comes down to the guitarist using the same effects pedals/guitar as James, and the song being in the same key! (or they're ripping off "Australia", of course... cough "Hazleton Avenue" cough).

Yeah, I miss Mansun. I had "Skin Up Pin-Up" on ltd ed white vinyl and had to sell it when I was skint. It was worth £30 and I put it on ebay for £2. And it sold at £2. CRY FOREVER.

I'm having a lol over Carnage Candy. Poor boys. I like their anger, but it's a shame that, in claiming that "liking the same music as your dad" makes you lame, they couldn't have come up with an original angle. I mean, I know there's elements to my band which are Manics-influenced, but I'm not going to play guitar onstage in my sailor top, or do a manifesto nicking stuff so wholesale from the Manics. I have my own tastes and my own inner bookshelf to raid, and sometimes it might overlap with the Manics, but not entirely. Because otherwise it's embarrassing!
Old 14-02-2011, 12:11
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Kele from Bloc Party stole an unused Richey lyric that had been mentioned in interviews by the Manics. Something about cutting off Ballerina's (spelling?) feet.
It may be an used Richey lyric but it's not his. It's a reference to the Hans Christian Anderson story 'The Red Shoes'.

Quote:
“Don’t cut off my head!” said Karen, “for then I could not repent of my sin. But cut off my feet with the red shoes.”

And then she confessed all her sin, and the executioner struck off her feet with the red shoes; but the shoes danced away with the little feet across the field into the deep forest.
Old 14-02-2011, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny69 View Post
Can I just echo the previous sentiment s and say that I really miss Mansun too.
The great lost band of the 90,s
I'd love to have them back.
Old 14-02-2011, 12:32
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lament View Post
I'd love to have them back.
Paul Draper's still around.

Also this should help the pain of their demise.

Quote:
Mansun's number one album, 'Attack of the Grey Lantern' will be released as a 3CD collectors edition box set on 7th June 2010. In addition to being remastered, the CD set will include 2 discs full of rare b-sides, pre-album EPs, acoustic and live tracks plus the brand new Greg Downey remix of '(I'm in a) Wide Open Space' which will also be released as a single by Nebula on the same day. To pre-order the box set from Amazon click here.
Old 15-02-2011, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredJoke View Post
Paul Draper's still around.

Also this should help the pain of their demise.
Yeah, but Paul Draper has been telling us he's getting his solo album ready for almost five years now, and all he's shown anyone is some remixed dance track he appeared on for someone else. He works slower than Axl, apparently.