Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 09:41
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
I think 1994-1997 was the one period you could get away with admitting your MSP fandom without being made to feel ashamed, especially 1996-1997 when they were surfing the wave of Richey sympathy and even the haters couldn't bring themselves to hate. 1998 started out okay too.
Whenever I meet new people and music comes up, even though Manics are obviously my favourite band, whenever someone asks me who my favourite bands are I'll generally list a few and tuck Manics in the middle of the list somewhere in the hope they'll focus on oh Pink Floyd or whoever else I say. Normal-ish people like Pink Floyd, Manics seem to attract weird fuckers.

And yeah it is a great time to be a fan. Over the last 5 years they've done loads of special and intimate gigs which are great for those who get there but nothing to be bitter about if you don't, seen people on here seeming to take it personally that they didn't get King Tuts tickets or Hard Rock Cafe, Maida Vale etc. But eh, we're lucky that our favourite band is doing these things at all. We've had two albums in 15 months, they're touring The Holy Bible right now, there's No Manifesto coming out next month, we've had some great tours and cos of them I've been to some great places I'd never really considered going before. Some shit holes too but you can't have it all. No idea where they're going to go from here but aye, fucking fantastic time to be a fan for me
Old 09-12-2014, 10:11
I live to fall asleep

I've been thinking hard about when was the best time for me but I can't pick out one specific moment. Highlights were the first gig in Dublin 99, KYE era, Lifeblood/THB 10th anniversary in 2004, and JFPL era and gig in Belfast 2009. I think it's just great to have a favourite band that you connect with on many levels and a band that have impacted on your life in many ways. (Yes I am high on strong meds right now lol)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
As a new fan I've no idea if it's the best time to be MSP fan, but I'm enjoying picking through there back catalogue.
being a new fan is the best period, discovering all the amazing music this band have made
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 09-12-2014, 12:29
Knowlede Is Power

I'd say being a fan now - but yup, a bit biased.

I've been a fan for nearly five years now and looking back on the 'eras' is nice - seeing Futurology and how they've grown and changed but stayed true is beautiful.

And being able to look back and watch loads of interviews and such without having to wait on them is nice too.

Oh, and I must say personally, (although I'm not scarily CoR), I would have been heartbroken if I was a fan in '95, so I'm kinda glad I wasn't there (fan-wise) to see Richey's demise.

But it really depends I guess.

Edit: I keep having thoughts about him turning up in Feb next year as kinda a second coming thing....obviously not gonna happen, but wherever he is, I hope he's finally at peace or happy. I like to think he is on that hippie trail in Goa but it's kinda unlikely that he'd want to be found even if he was alive and well.

Last edited by gracie; 09-12-2014 at 12:48. Reason: Richey feels :c
Old 09-12-2014, 21:35
Doors slowly closing

Had an exceptional album out last year
Had a good album out this year
Doing a tour playing a full album at the moment
Got an brilliant Music Documentary to look forward to next year

Yeah, I'd say things are pretty damn good. We're being spoilt rotten!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38
Winterlover

Better to remain a fan, hopefully we'll get an album full of Engage with Your Shadow.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:03
Administrator

C'mon, please discuss the topic at hand or I'll have to split this into a Richey thread!

Edit; Topic split! Now stay on topic guys!

Last edited by Takk; 10-12-2014 at 15:17.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:11
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
C'mon, please discuss the topic at hand or I'll have to split this into a Richey thread!
Sorry Takk, hopefully the best time to be a fan is ahead of us.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Sorry Takk, hopefully the best time to be a fan is ahead of us.
That's a nice sentiment

""All I ever wanted was a brute with cheekbones." Because I think that's all anyone ever wants."
- Richey Edwards
Old 10-12-2014, 13:19
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Whatever the band does next will always be something to treasure and look forward to. We are very lucky they are still going and not giving up because an album didn't sell loads. I'll always be happy knowing the manics are releasing music even if I don't love it on release. For every postcard there will always be a diamond in the rough.
Old 10-12-2014, 15:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_laconia View Post
being a new fan is the best period, discovering all the amazing music this band have made
I agree with this, surely the best time to be a Manics fan is that initial discovery. It doesn't matter if it was during THB era or Futurology era, I know for a fact that nothing will ever compare to that moment I realised I was hooked.

"Life is a farce in which all must perform" ~ Arthur Rimbaud

Facebook

Twitter
Old 10-12-2014, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I would say 96 with the release of EMG and the tours were the best as as a fan from the early days we were just waiting around wondering whether they would stop recording altogether, change their name, etc etc
I agree, 1996 was a very exciting time to be a fan!
Old 11-12-2014, 00:12
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Since I was born in 1989, became aware of the Manics at the times when Tollerate could be often heard on the radio and TV and became a fan somewhat after the release of Know Your Enemy (although it was Generation Terrorists the album that got me into the Manics fandom), I cannot be completely sure about my conclusions, but with all of my background knowledge of contemporary (art) history and about the band, I see it as the following.

The best time must have been when they were fresh and new and just broke into the mass media with Motown Junk. Apart from being young and handsome (all four of them, okay, Sean was more like cute than handsome ), they were an exciting, rebellious and a quite promising rock band at the times when rock wasn't that popular anymore. Then, with each album from the Richey era sounding quite different from each other (the later albums sound different each too, but my setting now is on their early stage), you could never know what to expect from them and that made them even more interesting. They'd always make you curious about their next move.
The news about disappearance must have been a great shock. And before the Manics' return with Design and Everything Must Go, it seemed like a calming down, a cooling down. At their return, it must have been an excitement for some, but a disappointment for others, which would make the era a little less exciting overall in terms of fandom.

Anyway, right now I think is much better than when I started, back in the early 2000's, because back then it really felt like they were a splitting up band. There by the Grace of God really sounded like a good-bye single (hence the last b-side track being Happy Ending) and there were voices the band would split up because there's no more Richey and that he would be proclaimed presumed dead in 2002, when indeed, the last single was released. So it really felt like it was over.
This is why God Save the Manics got me quite excited and Lifeblood very happy, curious and sceptical at the same time.

Now, however, we have come to ends about Richey and his disappearance (come on, maybe his friends and family might still be worried and all, but we as fans, especially those like me, who never even met him in person and is only aware of his public entity, no matter how the compassion is big, let's get real....), while the band is still playing, pausing, releasing something new, taking a rest, starting projects etc. interchangeably. There's no more great expectation, just pure curiousity and joy to hear anything new (and old) from the band and they just keep getting experimental and free. Their reputation is already built and they are legends even though they're still active.

As a fan, personally, I feel much better about it now than back in the early 2000's when I started.
Old 12-12-2014, 19:29

Probably best to have been 15 when Generation Terrorists came out, let's be honest as then you'd have lived with the band for your whole life.

When I found out about the band in 1995 when I was 13 I was devastated that I would never see the 'real' band together but now I feel lucky to be a part of them as they could have been over in 1995 and I would never have ever seen them live. Now that is a scary thought.
Old 12-12-2014, 22:33
Builder of routine

best time is as a new fan. So much to discover.

And now. Now is a very good time