Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 00:00
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Manics on TV Tropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...treetPreachers

For those unfamiliar with the site: "Tropes are storytelling devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations." TV Tropes is quite an entertaining maze to go through, not as stringent as Wikipedia by any means, this stuff is to be taken largely with both a sense of humor and spirit of analysis. I'm sure there are more examples of tropes within the Manics and their fandom that could be added on here, too. Some of the current ones mentioned include...:

Audience Participation Song: "Stay Beautiful".
Creator Worship: Richey to the point of absurdity, Nicky to a lesser degree. Creator Worship amongst the Manics seems to be in inverse proportion to the musical skill of the particular member, but directly proportional to songwriting ability.
I Used To Be Kind of Cool Once: following their mainstream hits, they've become regarded as radio friendly, a far cry from their early reputation. (elaborated on at the page for that trope, "The Manic Street Preachers have a reputation, in certain circles, for being a bit dad-rock, MOR, and radio-friendly. This tends to surprise their hardcore fans, who have liked them since they were doing songs about anorexia and the holocaust.")
Ho Yay: Nicky and Richey deliberately played this up in the early years.
High Octane Nightmare Fuel: The Holy Bible. Especially The Intense Humming of Evil.