Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-09-2021, 07:58
I live to fall asleep

Does anyone have any confirmed info of what Kat Southall sings on the album as she is credited for backing vocals?
Old 13-09-2021, 08:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Does anyone have any confirmed info of what Kat Southall sings on the album as she is credited for backing vocals?
Don’t know but she does a good impression of the Sunflower Bean singer on that Radio 2 gig

Wayne is on some stuff too
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 13-09-2021, 08:42
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Virgin Radio at 10pm tonight, one hour special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
This is playing right now by the way. Just you stole the sun at the moment.

https://virginradio.co.uk/
This post will be explaining my opinion on last night’s “One-hour special” on the Manic Street Preachers!

Hi! I’m Porco, and it’s been my pleasure to be a fan of Manic Street Preachers since 1996! This post is going to cover what I thought of the show on Virgin Radio last night, in the style of what I heard last night. Now, Manic Street Preachers release their 14th album The Ultra Vivid Lament, and this post is about the show about that I heard last night!

But first, let’s go back to discuss an old interview that everyone has already heard before and didn’t really need to hear again, to set the scene, because that’s the done thing even though anyone listening to this was probably well aware of why they’re listening…

[snip..]

Hi! This is a post in the style of the thing I’m posting about! I’m Porco, and this is a post about Virgin Radio”s “One Hour Special” as Manic Street Preachers release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament.

“One hour special” was a generous description for an interview of less than 20 minutes total that still seemed a bit weirdly edited (or planned) to go through the first 4 tracks of the album then jump to the last track.

We’ll be back with more from my post after this interruption for an adbreak or to play a song that was just discussed!

[snip]

Hi! This is Porco and you’re reading a post about a show on Virgin Radio, a one-hour special on Manic Street Preachers as they release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament!

What we got was nice, but it felt like it possibly went on longer and was chopped up for time, and I’m not sure anyone really needed to have You Stole the Sun, Tolerate and Your Love Alone played when another 10-12 minutes could have allowed at least the discussion of the remaining tracks that were barely or not at all mentioned.

I still hope we get a full track-by-track interview for this album.

There’s more from this post coming up! We’ll be right back after this!

[snip]

Hi! You obviously have patience because you’re still reading this post about the Virgin Radio one-hour special on Manic Street Preachers!

Still, JDB is always worth listening to, and the presenter certainly made no secret how much of a fan he was or how pleased he was to be presenting it!

It reminded me of all the reasons I listen to more long-form podcasts than traditional radio stations though. The limitations and restrictions really get a bit much.

Now I could write the same amount of actual meaningful content again about what was actually said… but no, let’s skip to the end of the post as I’m running out of space!

It’s been my pleasure to write this post about Manic Street Preachers as they release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament! Stay reading this forum for more exciting posts! I’ve been Porco and I introduced, recapped, recapped again after every ad break and interruption and then am now concluding with more recapping and mentioning a preview of the next thing while presenting a third of the substantive content I could do if I weren’t following outmoded broadcast conventions that waste a large amount of everyone’s time. Good evening. Oh it’s morning now!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 13-09-2021, 08:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Don’t know but she does a good impression of the Sunflower Bean singer on that Radio 2 gig

Wayne is on some stuff too
Agree about her singing. I just discovered she sang on the Postcards album!
Old 13-09-2021, 09:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
This post will be explaining my opinion on last night’s “One-hour special” on the Manic Street Preachers!

Hi! I’m Porco, and it’s been my pleasure to be a fan of Manic Street Preachers since 1996! This post is going to cover what I thought of the show on Virgin Radio last night, in the style of what I heard last night. Now, Manic Street Preachers release their 14th album The Ultra Vivid Lament, and this post is about the show about that I heard last night!

But first, let’s go back to discuss an old interview that everyone has already heard before and didn’t really need to hear again, to set the scene, because that’s the done thing even though anyone listening to this was probably well aware of why they’re listening…

[snip..]

Hi! This is a post in the style of the thing I’m posting about! I’m Porco, and this is a post about Virgin Radio”s “One Hour Special” as Manic Street Preachers release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament.

“One hour special” was a generous description for an interview of less than 20 minutes total that still seemed a bit weirdly edited (or planned) to go through the first 4 tracks of the album then jump to the last track.

We’ll be back with more from my post after this interruption for an adbreak or to play a song that was just discussed!

[snip]

Hi! This is Porco and you’re reading a post about a show on Virgin Radio, a one-hour special on Manic Street Preachers as they release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament!

What we got was nice, but it felt like it possibly went on longer and was chopped up for time, and I’m not sure anyone really needed to have You Stole the Sun, Tolerate and Your Love Alone played when another 10-12 minutes could have allowed at least the discussion of the remaining tracks that were barely or not at all mentioned.

I still hope we get a full track-by-track interview for this album.

There’s more from this post coming up! We’ll be right back after this!

[snip]

Hi! You obviously have patience because you’re still reading this post about the Virgin Radio one-hour special on Manic Street Preachers!

Still, JDB is always worth listening to, and the presenter certainly made no secret how much of a fan he was or how pleased he was to be presenting it!

It reminded me of all the reasons I listen to more long-form podcasts than traditional radio stations though. The limitations and restrictions really get a bit much.

Now I could write the same amount of actual meaningful content again about what was actually said… but no, let’s skip to the end of the post as I’m running out of space!

It’s been my pleasure to write this post about Manic Street Preachers as they release their 14th album, The Ultra Vivid Lament! Stay reading this forum for more exciting posts! I’ve been Porco and I introduced, recapped, recapped again after every ad break and interruption and then am now concluding with more recapping and mentioning a preview of the next thing while presenting a third of the substantive content I could do if I weren’t following outmoded broadcast conventions that waste a large amount of everyone’s time. Good evening. Oh it’s morning now!
My favourite post ever I think ��

I literally just finished listening to it and was really disappointed. Why miss out half the album? They clearly did a full track by track.

Nice little tidbit about the quest for ancient colour solo and the acoustic guitar part in Still snowing in Sapporo
Old 13-09-2021, 10:00
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_PhoenixFactor View Post
Nice little tidbit about the quest for ancient colour solo and the acoustic guitar part in Still snowing in Sapporo
This is the kinda click-bait esq tease that's going to make me listen to it. Are you working on Virgin's social push?
Old 13-09-2021, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_bear View Post
This is the kinda click-bait esq tease that's going to make me listen to it. Are you working on Virgin's social push?
😂

Basically, the acoustic guitar wasn’t on Still Snowing and they felt it was missing something. Nicky popped his head around the corner and said to try and acoustic part like a Cure song (I forget which). That brought the song together.

Regarding the solo for Quest for Ancient Colour, the start has no hammer ons or pull offs. Each note is picked. As a guitar player this is the stuff I love to hear JDB talk about.

No need to listen now 👍🏻
Old 13-09-2021, 10:15
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_PhoenixFactor View Post
😂

Basically, the acoustic guitar wasn’t on Still Snowing and they felt it was missing something. Nicky popped his head around the corner and said to try and acoustic part like a Cure song (I forget which). That brought the song together.

Regarding the solo for Quest for Ancient Colour, the start has no hammer ons or pull offs. Each note is picked. As a guitar player this is the stuff I love to hear JDB talk about.

No need to listen now 👍🏻
You've just saved me an hour of my life, thanks.
I'm now going to have to really listen to the solo for QfAC and weep as I'll never achieve that level of guitar playing.

Really hoping Guitarist/Guitar Mag/Whoever does another of those track-by-track where James discusses the gear he used. I re-read the old ones far too regularly.
Old 13-09-2021, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_bear View Post
You've just saved me an hour of my life, thanks.
I'm now going to have to really listen to the solo for QfAC and weep as I'll never achieve that level of guitar playing.

Really hoping Guitarist/Guitar Mag/Whoever does another of those track-by-track where James discusses the gear he used. I re-read the old ones far too regularly.
Same here!!
Old 13-09-2021, 11:03
Bored of being bored

Just listened to RIF for the first time in ages and wow, the leap in quality they've managed with TUVL is astonishing. James's vocals are so much better now too. I honestly never expected them to come up with an album I could love this much at this stage in their career!
Old 13-09-2021, 11:07
I live to fall asleep

So many songs stuck in my head. Today was the chorus of Blank Diary Entry. Melodies are fantastic on this album.
Old 13-09-2021, 12:14
Doors slowly closing

Yellow TUVL from Amazon delayed
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 13-09-2021, 12:19
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
"The near future has been and gone" followed by la la la etc is one great satire of the uncaring or the idiotic (maybe both?) attitudes to current crises.
I think it's the best joke on the album and they even reference the NHS clapping!
I seem to be liking this more than Lifeblood.
Old 13-09-2021, 12:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Yellow TUVL from Amazon delayed
Ultra Vivid Yellow Vinyl lament indeed
Old 13-09-2021, 16:39
Freed from the century

Charts so far (Monday)....

Top 100 Albums

1 Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament (3k ahead) *
2 Steps - What the Future Holds, Pt. 2 *