Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-06-2020, 19:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Evening all!

Just to let you know, episode three is out now. We take a deep dive into the band's much maligned tenth studio album, Postcards From A Young Man. There's also more fan origin stories and a look at anti-royalist rant First Republic.

https://shows.acast.com/manic-street...0ee570f9ecf62f

https://open.spotify.com/episode/70s...QNmSlX2r3-pOYg

For future episodes we would love written and audio emails concerning your Manics origin stories or your memories / experiences of the Past, Present, Future tour. Please send written and audio messages to manicspeaker@gmail.com.
Old 17-06-2020, 21:19
Winterlover

Linky to mp3 for those who want it...

https://assets-do.pippa.io/shows/5eb...a463a2cd54.mp3
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 18-06-2020, 10:39
Desire on its knees

Stellar pod, easy but interesting listening
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 19-06-2020, 21:50
Winterlover

I have to confess to doing a double-take to the praise you both give postcards given how much hatred it's had on here over the years.
It's not going to get much praise from me either as it's just slathered in too much strings and synths to be enjoyable, with a couple of tracks you quite rightly call out as sounding like something from a christian rock band.
Then again, given where both your lives were at the time i can't begrudge you taking strength from it and specifically a couplet like -

Quote:
This world will not impose its will
I will not give up and I will not give in
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 20-06-2020, 00:20
I live to fall asleep

Postcards is a just a lazy record. Lazy songwriting and lazy production. And it has no stand out single. Just a crap era. At least we got the O2 gig at the end of it. But it all seems so long ago!
Old 20-06-2020, 07:08
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Postcards is a just a lazy record. Lazy songwriting and lazy production. And it has no stand out single. Just a crap era. At least we got the O2 gig at the end of it. But it all seems so long ago!
Lazy is the right word - particularly after their mainstream return to form with SATT, and artistic return to form in JFPL (they seemed to be getting so much press at the time IIRC?), Postcards just seemed like them being resigned to becoming a pastiche. I remember Kerrang radio playing Some Kind of Nothingness, and saying it was the new Take That single....

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 20-06-2020, 09:03
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
Lazy is the right word - particularly after their mainstream return to form with SATT, and artistic return to form in JFPL (they seemed to be getting so much press at the time IIRC?), Postcards just seemed like them being resigned to becoming a pastiche. I remember Kerrang radio playing Some Kind of Nothingness, and saying it was the new Take That single....
Take That were releasing much better music than the Manics at that point! "Progress" is brilliant. "Postcards" is not.
Old 20-06-2020, 11:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflower View Post
Take That were releasing much better music than the Manics at that point! "Progress" is brilliant. "Postcards" is not.
1000% agree. SOS is an absolute banger.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 20-06-2020, 21:03
Knowlede Is Power

Im not a too cool for school manics fan. I like Postcards. Admittedly Its not war is abit overplayed live and some kind of nothingness is a but overdone with the choirs and whatnot, but the Nicky demo of it ia great. The only other song I really find OTT is Hazelton Ave. Apart from that I pretty much like all of it. Golden Platitudes is lovely, a billion balconies absolutly rips and all we make is entertainment should have been the lead single. And there were so many good b sides! I thought it was a great era.

Now if you want to talk about lazy, look no further than fucking Vivian.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:12
Doors slowly closing

Finally listened to the Postcards episode last night, enjoyed it a lot (the album and the podcast!).

I always seemed to like PFAYM more than many fans did, and it was interesting for me to challenge my own opinion after a decade. I still really like it, but it’s funny how my view has shifted a little bit on a few songs (in both directions!).

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 02-07-2020, 20:35
Winterlover

Episode 4 is up.

https://shows.acast.com/manic-street...leepless-souls

[mp3] https://assets-do.pippa.io/shows/5eb...23d3459140.mp3

I'm assuming the article about the gold against the soul reissue that jimi arundell wrote is this one - https://fms-mag.com/manic-street-pre...t-it-deserves/

Last edited by Tim; 02-07-2020 at 20:38.
Old 09-07-2020, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Finally listened to the Postcards episode last night, enjoyed it a lot (the album and the podcast!).

I always seemed to like PFAYM more than many fans did, and it was interesting for me to challenge my own opinion after a decade. I still really like it, but it’s funny how my view has shifted a little bit on a few songs (in both directions!).
Thank you! Yes, we were definitely similar in that respect
Old 09-07-2020, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Im not a too cool for school manics fan. I like Postcards. Admittedly Its not war is abit overplayed live.
We were not cool in school or after. Which explains the love Emma and I have for Postcards
Old 09-07-2020, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
Stellar pod, easy but interesting listening
Thank you! Hopefully we're starting to find our feet now.
Old 09-07-2020, 17:57

Episode 4 is out too by the way.

We chat to music journalist Jimi Arundell about the GATS reissue, discuss the Kieran Evans film Pieces Of Sleep, give our first impressions of the new James songs and this episode's B-side is Red Rubber!

Acast: https://shows.acast.com/manic-street...leepless-souls

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/54V...QhSeuCVbvYR7Gw