Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-09-2011, 10:44
I live to fall asleep

2nd half of Know Your Enemy

I'm sitting here at the computer and decided to stick on KYE for the first time in a while. For some reason I decided to click on Dead Martyrs and let it run from there. Yes it's messy, yes JDB sounds like he's been spending too much time banging Sporty Spice, yes it's over under produced, but it sounds great to me. The KYE era was wrong for so many reasons (JDB's shirts and that belly mainly) but there's something in these songs that they've disowned compared to PFAYM, for example.

Love the "Hello?" in My Guernica, the keyboard break in the Convalescent, the whole of Epicentre, and Baby Elian.

I really dig the Wire's lyrics in these songs too. Convalescent is great - it's a fucking mess but some great lines "Goya mixes Picasso but it's hardly Spain" - don't know what the fuck it means but I'm digging it. "Kleenex kitchen towels and teletext TV / The greatest inventions of the 20th century" - that's a classic Wire line.

But having that hidden track wrecks my head (and my iTunes!)
Old 23-09-2011, 11:28
I live to fall asleep

Aye, some of Wire's finest lyrics are on KYE and Lifeblood. He should realise this.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 23-09-2011, 11:34
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I was quite glad when I worked out how to fast-forward on my Blackberry! In fact, I did just that the other day to get to "We're All Bourgeois Now".

I love the end of KYE too. Some fab songs on there.
Old 23-09-2011, 11:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

Convalescent is just a bit too messy and unfocused for me, current favourite from KYE is Royal Correspondent, a great song right there.
Old 23-09-2011, 11:52
Winterlover

There's so much wild creativity, imagination and inspiration throughout KYE, I'd love for them to have that wild spirit of stretching their boundaries and trying out new things again. Great lyrics too outside the more political ones. And yeah, The Convalescent is just brilliant in its messiness, a rollercoaster of ranting and kick-ass rocking.

As for the hidden track, I've just edited Freedom of Speech to not have it with a sound editing program so it's its own independent track, and then have Bourgeois as another independent track. I tend to do that with all hidden tracks.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post

if i recall correctly, the hidden track and the time to it was a "clever" thing done by some record labels. you have to remember around about this time the max music you could get on a blank CD without overburn was 74 minutes, so if you made the album a minute or two over this they tried to eliminate "disc to disc" copying.

pirates apparently addressed this by just bypassing getting their hands on the original to copy and just downloaded it.
blog
Old 23-09-2011, 12:03
Winterlover

I always assumed it was just a stylistic decision to keep hidden tracks hidden on CDs - after all you can see the amount of songs when you insert the disc into the machine, but by merging the hidden song with the closing track with some silence, the surprise stays intact.

Hidden tracks like that have been happening since the early 90s so I doubt it was just another failed attempt at copy protection.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:32
Stretched out in the sun

It really is a shame how much of the second half of the album got neglected live. I think The Convalescent might just creep into my top 10.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:35
Bored out of my mind

Great album all round is KYE!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-09-2011, 12:39
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Second half's better cos it doesn't have Ocean Spray or So Why So Sad. Unless you get the Australian version of the album which has the Avalanches mix of So Why So Sad as a bonus that makes the second half even better
Old 23-09-2011, 12:39
Doors slowly closing

Could've dropped the 2nd half and had a great album. As it stands, at least it's top-loaded with all the good songs (apart from Robeson)
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 23-09-2011, 12:40
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post

Hidden tracks like that have been happening since the early 90s so I doubt it was just another failed attempt at copy protection.
oh absolutely, i seem to recall Nevermind did it? it just made a very interesting return around the time that CD-R became affordable and viable for such a use!

the way that The Stone Roses did it with Second Coming was much better. at least you could skip with ease to The Foz if you were fucking mental enough to wish to hear it a second time.

Quote:

blog
Old 23-09-2011, 12:40
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Second half's better cos it doesn't have Ocean Spray or So Why So Sad. Unless you get the Australian version of the album which has the Avalanches mix of So Why So Sad as a bonus that makes the second half even better
Tsk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Could've dropped the 2nd half and had a great album. As it stands, at least it's top-loaded with all the good songs (apart from Robeson)
And double tsk!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-09-2011, 12:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Think that's a bit black and white tbh.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:56
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Tsk!

And double tsk!

blog