Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-09-2011, 10:44
I live to fall asleep

2nd half of Know Your Enemy

I'm sitting here at the computer and decided to stick on KYE for the first time in a while. For some reason I decided to click on Dead Martyrs and let it run from there. Yes it's messy, yes JDB sounds like he's been spending too much time banging Sporty Spice, yes it's over under produced, but it sounds great to me. The KYE era was wrong for so many reasons (JDB's shirts and that belly mainly) but there's something in these songs that they've disowned compared to PFAYM, for example.

Love the "Hello?" in My Guernica, the keyboard break in the Convalescent, the whole of Epicentre, and Baby Elian.

I really dig the Wire's lyrics in these songs too. Convalescent is great - it's a fucking mess but some great lines "Goya mixes Picasso but it's hardly Spain" - don't know what the fuck it means but I'm digging it. "Kleenex kitchen towels and teletext TV / The greatest inventions of the 20th century" - that's a classic Wire line.

But having that hidden track wrecks my head (and my iTunes!)