Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-10-2011, 20:33
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Might have been. Not too sure to be honest!
they toured it but had to cancel some dates in '99 from what i remember
Old 29-10-2011, 20:35
Winterlover

Wasn't Truth not released in the US till '99, because they couldn't find a label for it? Not sure if it made much of an impact when it was released, really.
Old 29-10-2011, 20:55
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Wasn't Truth not released in the US till '99, because they couldn't find a label for it? Not sure if it made much of an impact when it was released, really.
oh really? I thought they toured it cos it had done ok..
Old 29-10-2011, 21:53
Bored out of my mind

This band fill me with such happiness. I just felt I had to say that!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 29-10-2011, 21:56
Freed from the century

Quote:
This band fill me with such happiness. I just felt I had to say that!
Ditto! I may moan and groan about how much money I have to spend on gigs, transport and other stuff, but I enjoy it really
Old 29-10-2011, 22:03
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay View Post
Ditto! I may moan and groan about how much money I have to spend on gigs, transport and other stuff, but I enjoy it really
I don't moan about the money spendage which is probably worrying!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-10-2011, 00:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
A comment someone posted in another thread made me want to ask this question -

What are Manics fans from across the pond's thoughts with regards to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours? Do you feel you are able to connect with the album? (Just thinking with regards to the lyrics being more 'insular' as it were. Hope that makes sense!
I really like the lyrics actually, though I don't see anything about them that seems specifically British to be honest... other than SYMM, I guess. They strike me as very introspective, so I'd think they'd be universally appealing. If I had to pick one of the Manics' albums that wouldn't translate well to an American audience, it would probably be Generation Terrorists. And clearly they did have some issues with that, though it's just as well - the US release had some pretty good features.

But I can't say I connect to the album, because the sound itself, I dislike. If You Tolerate This is amazing, absolutely brilliant, and Tsunami and You Stole the Sun are decent - otherwise, I've tried and tried, but it's not only my least favourite album of theirs, it's mostly unlistenable for me. Which is really frustrating, because I think Nicky's lyrics deserve much more. Nobody Loved You had the potential to be heartwrenching... but it just doesn't work for me. It all sounds so dull and insincere.

...apologies to anyone who really loves TIMTTMY.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:13
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsebastian View Post
I really like the lyrics actually, though I don't see anything about them that seems specifically British to be honest... other than SYMM, I guess. They strike me as very introspective, so I'd think they'd be universally appealing. If I had to pick one of the Manics' albums that wouldn't translate well to an American audience, it would probably be Generation Terrorists. And clearly they did have some issues with that, though it's just as well - the US release had some pretty good features.

But I can't say I connect to the album, because the sound itself, I dislike. If You Tolerate This is amazing, absolutely brilliant, and Tsunami and You Stole the Sun are decent - otherwise, I've tried and tried, but it's not only my least favourite album of theirs, it's mostly unlistenable for me. Which is really frustrating, because I think Nicky's lyrics deserve much more. Nobody Loved You had the potential to be heartwrenching... but it just doesn't work for me. It all sounds so dull and insincere.

I suppose if it's not your taste music -wise then you are gonna feel like that. I had a colleague at work who loved EMG but said he was disappointed with Truth. But it was Truth that got me into the band so it will always have a special place in my heart!
Old 30-10-2011, 17:21
A self-made vacuum

Just thought, this wasn't taken for NT. They were taken during the PFAYM era and they are on the PFAYM tour t-shirts.
Old 30-10-2011, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsebastian View Post

I agree that Nobody Loved You isn't as good as it could have been, it's quite bland and the guitar riff/chorus is pretty lame.

but there are some beauties on there - ready for drowning, born a girl, you're tender and you're tired etc, i think the lyrics are done justice extremely well there, especially the former two. it's the sound of giving up but giving up in a wonderfully melancholy way
Old 30-10-2011, 19:50
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStenner View Post
I agree that Nobody Loved You isn't as good as it could have been, it's quite bland and the guitar riff/chorus is pretty lame.

but there are some beauties on there - ready for drowning, born a girl, you're tender and you're tired etc, i think the lyrics are done justice extremely well there, especially the former two. it's the sound of giving up but giving up in a wonderfully melancholy way
Didn't realise he had said that about Nobody Loved You!

Just NO!!!

Old 30-10-2011, 20:00
Bored out of my mind

TLORN got to No 2 at least James! Sheesh!
Old 30-10-2011, 20:07
I live to fall asleep

If I don't have my Manics goodies in the post tomorrow morning then I'm giving up

"Life is a farce in which all must perform" ~ Arthur Rimbaud

Facebook

Twitter
Old 31-10-2011, 11:15
I live to fall asleep

I completely forgot about Sean's earring until just noticing it again at the end of the Tolerate video.
Haaaa! Gaaaybo!

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 31-10-2011, 14:54

Quote:
A comment someone posted in another thread made me want to ask this question -

What are Manics fans from across the pond's thoughts with regards to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours? Do you feel you are able to connect with the album? (Just thinking with regards to the lyrics being more 'insular' as it were. Hope that makes sense!
one of my best friends lives in Canada and she loves TIMT. I'm not from the UK either - Ireland - and I don't find myself feeling excluded by the lyrics.