Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 19:41
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
It’s actually really nice to all be so united and into something. Shame it has to be this.
I was going to say the same

That class photo of James and Nicky sat together is buried in appreciation I think if it hasn't been archived. No idea how to find now tho. It is indeed adorable and I'd love to see it again.
I think the band was initially James's idea? There's that story where Sean walks into the living room and James wants him out cos "it was my thing" ??
I'm not too sure richey could join other bands as he couldn't play much. Brilliant with words obviously but not too sure other bands would put up with the lack of musical skill. Some of my favourite band photos are of James showing him something on the guitar. There's 2 or 3 I think .

This thread is actually making me want to read the book to see how bad it really is. Sounds like I'm going to want to rip out pages and fling it at the wall
Old 06-02-2019, 19:52
I live to fall asleep

Just occurred to me that - unless I'm mistaken - they've never actually released the picture of a house that Richey was supposed to have left behind.

Strikes me that, these days with Twitter and Facebook, it's the kind of thing you could now fire around with relative ease with a chance that someone might actually be able to confirm where it is.

OK, probably another false trail but at least it could be dismissed.
Old 06-02-2019, 19:56
Winterlover

Right? As many eyes as possible on that thing would surely make sense, SOMEONE has to recognise it. Although 24 years later... maybe not so much? It seems entirely worth the shot though, nothing to lose and everything to gain. But apparently Jo was not forthcoming with the box, for whatever reason, so even if anyone wanted to...

Last edited by sofarsideways; 06-02-2019 at 19:59.
Old 06-02-2019, 19:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
This thread is actually making me want to read the book to see how bad it really is. Sounds like I'm going to want to rip out pages and fling it at the wall
I'm thinking the only acceptable reason to buy this book is to film yourself setting it on fire, then posting the video online for everyone to see. Although one would still be funding the author(s) of this vile rubbish, which is the last thing they deserve.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I think that Richey wasn’t too pleased with where they were going. I think he wanted to be more like Pantera.
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/20...disappearance/

Oh, you think?

Quote:
Edwards was already envisioning that the next album would sound like “Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails meets [Primal Scream’s album] Screamadelica”
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/manic...g-must-go/amp/
Old 06-02-2019, 20:05
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

At least Nick is keeping that tradition alive.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 06-02-2019, 20:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Good call on the JFPL stuff, you’re absolutely right. What is ‘basic research and comprehension’? I think someone said earlier, she doesn’t seem to have considered the fact that we all know this shit inside out, and if she’s coming at us she needs to be able to match that...
Exactly! That's what I'm personally counting on at least.

Quote:
Has this someone who knew some who knew someone been interviewed for the book? They sound like they’d be the perfect kind of real insight it’s dealing in.
No because his version of Richey doesn't align with the regular every day, saintly Joe they're trying to paint him as. He didn't have groupies, he had girlfriends! He didn't have mental illness, he had a social condition like Aspergers! He didn't believe in nothing, he was into conspiracy theories! Stories that perpetuate the "myth", whether true or not, don't fit their narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
How the hell this has ever got to publication I don't know.
It likely got green lit because his story is captivating and the Manics are a British institution. It's a thoroughly British story though and while Europe and Asia may be interested in the book, I can say with absolute certainty, it won't shift many copies in N America. Outside of expats, the band isn't even really known here let alone Richey (you'd be hard pressed to find any bio of the band in conventional book stores and online). I can't see this book changing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeysite View Post
Amazon is now saying the book will be released 28 February, another two week delay.
Apple Books still says "expected 2/14/19". They're typically late with updates though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
SHR needs to know something.

Richey wasn't only a brave,sensitive, eloquent, thinker and poet. Sometimes he could be an immature dick and said and did some really stupid things. How about involving that perspective in your overall view of Richey.

Fucking hell, I love the man to bits but he was, after all, a pretty ordinary young man who happened to be intelligent and wrote some really good lyrics. Her facebook page is embarrassingly CoR territory.
Yep! Spot on! I was thinking the other day that we aren't likely to hear about his more salacious behavior towards women/teenage girls because there is no way in hell they’d go there (if they do, I'll be shocked!) which seems to me really disingenuous especially in the #metoo era.

Speaking of COR and SHR's opinions of Richey's fans and why there aren't more of them, her position really shows how out of touch she truly is with actual fans. I've been a Manics fan with a large appreciation for Richey in particular since I was 15 and I'm old now (lol) and not once in all those years was I ever called COR (at least not in a serious manner) or made to feel less of a fan for appreciating Richey Edwards. Not once! Most Manics fans love Richey! The only fan stigma associated which Richey was that whole COR period just before he went missing and for a few years after. I mean, if people object to your obsessive, delusional views on the man, that's not the same as being shamed or stigmatized for liking him. Maybe if she wasn't so hell bent on pushing fans away she might understand that.

Quote:
The idea that this book is about humanising Richey or presenting the ‘real’ him, a rounded person, is just laughable at this point. It’s doing the exact opposite, the things fans have always been accused of. Just with concerning endorsement.
It's designed to present a one-dimensional portrait of him with some crazy theories thrown in to make an otherwise meek book have some bite to it. I'm starting to think this book is more petty revenge than it is an attempt to reclaim him from the myth.

All of this is such a goddamn shame! This book could have really mattered to people with the right team working on it, but sadly the task of building his legacy has been handed over to someone so petty and selfish. Richey deserves better!

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 07-02-2019 at 02:33.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:31
Banned

Sorry, this is just a random memory that popped into my head yesterday (and again since that interview was linked). But all this talk of the band pressuring Richey and SHR blaming them for his spiralling illnesses etc. This occurred to me:

Didn't they offer Richey the chance to stay in the band as a lyricist only? Meaning, he would get to keep his position as one of the main songwriters, but not have to go out on tour with them and not have to worry about public appearances etc. But Richey himself refused to do this, thinking he would be shirking his share of the work.

I definitely read that somewhere. It could have been Simon Price's "Everything". I only bring it up because it's something I don't think anyone else has mentioned and further highlights just how absurdly wrong SHR is. The Manics did everything they could and more to help Richey and even they don't pretend that it was enough.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:36
Winterlover

Quote:
But apparently Jo was not forthcoming with the box, for whatever reason, so even if anyone wanted to...
I'd be willing to bet she doesn't have it anymore. Either that or she didn't trust these two despite having his sister's backing. I don't buy the "she wants to keep her memories of Richey to herself" excuse. If that were true, why give them any of the personal letters he sent her?
Old 06-02-2019, 20:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
No because his version of Richey doesn't align with the regular every day, saintly Joe they're trying to paint him as. He didn't have groupies, he had girlfriends! He didn't have mental illness, he had a social condition like Aspergers! He didn't believe in nothing, he was into conspiracy theories! Stories that perpetuate the "myth", whether true or not, don't fit their narrative.

Yep! Spot on! I was thinking the other day that we aren't likely to hear about his more salacious behavior towards women/teenage girls because there is no way in hell they’d go there (if they do, I'll be shocked!) which seems to me really disingenuous especially in the #metoo era.

Speaking of COR and SHR's opinions of Richey's fans and why there aren't more of them, her position really shows how out of touch she truly is with actual fans. I've been a Manics fan with a large appreciation for Richey in particular since I was 15 and I'm 41 now and not once in all those years was I ever called COR (at least not in a serious manner) or made to feel less of a fan for appreciating Richey Edwards. Not once! Most Manics fans love Richey! The only fan stigma associated which Richey was that whole COR period just before he went missing and for a few years after. I mean, if people object to your obsessive, delusional views on the man, that's not the same as being shamed or stigmatized for liking him. Maybe if she wasn't so hell bent on pushing fans away she might understand that.

It's designed to present a one-dimensional portrait of him with some crazy theories thrown in to make an otherwise meek book have some bite to it. I'm starting to think this book is more petty revenge than it is an attempt to reclaim him from the myth.

All of this is such a goddamn shame! This book could have really mattered to people with the right team working on it, but sadly the task of building his legacy has been handed over to someone so petty and selfish. Richey deserves better!
REAL TALK.

Admittedly we don’t know for sure that the book doesn’t cover these things but it seems extreeeeemely unlikely. And yet they are a big deal! They are important in terms of his mental state and personal struggles. He’s so contradictory and messed up on this stuff and yet... naaaah let’s talk about school reports and Aspergers and #conspiracy

As a later fan (discovered them Lifeblood era) I’ve never known CoR to be used as anything but tongue-in-cheek, a term of endearment almost. Like a fandom in-joke really. I get that it was very real and very scary once but as you say, that’s long gone. These days we just call a SHR a SHR, you know?

Weird, isn’t it, that we LUNATIC DELUSIONAL FANS!! are wanting to look at, accept and try and understand Richey as a full person, yet apparently we’re the ones perpetrating myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
I'd be willing to bet she doesn't have it anymore. Either that or she didn't trust these two despite having his sister's backing. I don't buy the "she wants to keep her memories of Richey to herself" excuse. If that were true, why give them any of the personal letters he sent her?
I do wonder. Would it not have made more sense for his family, the band, anyone with some kind of archiving going on to have it? I would understand her both wanting and not wanting to keep it, but I really hope it wasn’t gotten rid of. Hopefully she just didn’t like the look of all this and gave as little as possible, which would be a sound move it seems...

Last edited by sofarsideways; 06-02-2019 at 21:09.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:53
Winterlover

Velocitygirl, that’s definitely a thing. I seem to recall the band saying they went through every possibility to try and accommodate Richey - leave the band, just write lyrics/do artwork, do some interviews/gigs but not all, etc. None of them knowing what best to do for him - himself included - was not for lack of trying.

Last edited by sofarsideways; 06-02-2019 at 21:03.
Old 06-02-2019, 21:00
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Sorry, this is just a random memory that popped into my head yesterday (and again since that interview was linked). But all this talk of the band pressuring Richey and SHR blaming them for his spiralling illnesses etc. This occurred to me:

Didn't they offer Richey the chance to stay in the band as a lyricist only? Meaning, he would get to keep his position as one of the main songwriters, but not have to go out on tour with them and not have to worry about public appearances etc. But Richey himself refused to do this, thinking he would be shirking his share of the work.

I definitely read that somewhere. It could have been Simon Price's "Everything". I only bring it up because it's something I don't think anyone else has mentioned and further highlights just how absurdly wrong SHR is. The Manics did everything they could and more to help Richey and even they don't pretend that it was enough.
I remember that. Likely from Everything....
I also remember there was a TV appeal from the band or including the band where Nicky said something along the lines of " please let your family know you're OK ..if you don't want to talk to us or you don't want to be in the band anymore that's fine ..you're not letting anyone down" Just to contact someone..Or have I imagined it?

I have an interview I think from when he came out of treatment that def reads like he doesn't want to let the band down. NME or melody maker..

the band did all they knew to do to help him as far as I'm concerned
Old 06-02-2019, 21:05
Banned

Thanks, guys. I knew I hadn't imagined that offer to Richey. And further goes to show that SHR is talking out of her arse. The fellas in the band did everything they possibly could.

However, I don't remember a TV appeal. I hope someone can shed more light on that.
Old 06-02-2019, 21:05
Winterlover

Maybe Jo wants privacy. A strange concept these days. And very underrated. And maybe in that case better if she wasn't mentioned in the pre-publicity/interviews beyond a brief answer if asked about participation

Delayed again. Maybe for good

I can understand why Rachel doesn't listen to the band isn't such a fan because it must hurt for many reasons but I feel SRH has drawn on that and taken it as carte blanche to twist a few things and make some blatant mistakes like the band only getting a deal with a major label cos of the 4 real incident. I'm sure they were already signed.....quick Google confirms the dates....hard work this kinda research....I was trying to be fair before but the things she says in this latest interview. And let me see Rob Stringer's stuck with them right up to now....It was awful that incident and if anything maybe a missed opportunity for help....sure it must feel like that to many now...but it wasn't exploited or intended to grab a bloody record deal
In one interview with Rachel she did say Richey hadn't spoken much to her or his family about his time with the band apart from being excited at the prospect of one his songs being used for Judge Dredd
The little bits on the band in this interview, like the Pantera analogy Glass Angel pointed out, Heart of Darkness....are in the public domain....
At the risk of treading into the unknown and noneofyourdamnbusiness it's a shame if his sister feels a little isolated from that part of his life (with the band) and a real shame if relations are broken or were never that strong (I certainly didn't hang about with my little bruvver's friends) I think her complicated feelings have been placed in the hands of a writer that to try and be fair lacks the experience
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 06-02-2019, 21:16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Maybe Jo wants privacy. A strange concept these days.
That's a bit of a given, since (to the best of my knowledge) she has not once spoken publicly about Richey. Not in all the 24 years he's been gone and her name has been thrown around left, right and centre.

She was so enigmatic and elusive that some fans speculated that "Jo" was short for "Jones" and therefore, obviously, it was really meant for Nicky.