Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 18:47
Winterlover

Definitely Maybe is well deserving of its plaudits. I mean, it's just a spectacular debut album and one of three Oasis albums in a row that were near perfect (and the only brilliant ones, at that).

THB on the other hand is one of those albums that will impact a small number of people deeply. The reason for that is it's very niche due to the writing style and the subject matter. I'm not a massive fan of it myself, it's just not the type of Manics stuff I like all that much and I wasn't a Manics fan when it came out so I don't have the same level of affinity towards it that fans that grew up with it did. Give me Lifeblood and Journal For Plague Lovers any day.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 03-09-2019, 23:59
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
one of three Oasis albums in a row that were near perfect
I'm hazy on my dates, but am praying The Masterplan came out before Be Here Now and you're not insane... haha.

Because, Be Here Now... is not a strong Oasis album. Maybe two or three good tracks. And don't forget that godawful extended version of All Around The World which is about 12 minutes too long...

But I agree otherwise - Definitely Maybe, What's The Story and The Masterplan are three absolutely stellar albums!
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 06-09-2019, 14:16
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
I'm hazy on my dates, but am praying The Masterplan came out before Be Here Now and you're not insane... haha.

Because, Be Here Now... is not a strong Oasis album. Maybe two or three good tracks. And don't forget that godawful extended version of All Around The World which is about 12 minutes too long...

But I agree otherwise - Definitely Maybe, What's The Story and The Masterplan are three absolutely stellar albums!

The Masterplan is a b-sides compilation that came out AFTER Be Here Now. Yes, it's absolutely brilliant but not technically an "album".

And, Be Here Now is incredible apart from Magic Pie and The Girl In The Dirty Shirt. Agreed, some of the songs are too long and it's way overproduced but don't forget it was recorded on a mountain of cocaine. Don't Go Away, D'You Know What I Mean?, Stand By Me and I Hope, I Think, I Know are up there with the best for me.
Old 06-09-2019, 15:29
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
The Masterplan is a b-sides compilation that came out AFTER Be Here Now. Yes, it's absolutely brilliant but not technically an "album".

And, Be Here Now is incredible apart from Magic Pie and The Girl In The Dirty Shirt. Agreed, some of the songs are too long and it's way overproduced but don't forget it was recorded on a mountain of cocaine. Don't Go Away, D'You Know What I Mean?, Stand By Me and I Hope, I Think, I Know are up there with the best for me.
I know Noel did a reimagined version of Do You Know What I mean for an anniversary boxset of Be Here Now, but I'd love to have the entire album rerecorded as stripped back versions without the over the top production and far too long guitar solos.
Old 06-09-2019, 17:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

I agree with a lot of criticism of Be Here Now, but I won't have a bad word said against 'All Around the World'. It's the already over-the-top nature of the album taken over-the-top. A straight-forward four minute song stretched out to nearly ten. You can just see Noel going "hey I've written another nah-nah-nah bit for the end. Stick in another key change while you're at it!" It's so utterly daft it becomes totally gleefully enjoyable. The fact that after sitting through the utterly wretched 'It's Getting Better (Man!!)', it pops its head back around the door and says "ah, you didn't think you'd heard the last of me, did you?" just makes it all the more brilliant. Total brilliant lunacy.

It's also the longest UK number 1 ever, which jars wonderfully with the image of them being musically conservative.
Old 06-09-2019, 22:38
Winterlover

I don't mind the Noel rework of D'you know what I mean, but I prefer the snarling cocaine addled over the top dirge of the original. (And the fact that it's a sneaky rewrite of wonderwall to boot.) The rework feels a bit too clever by halves.

But obviously this period remains the great mystery of rock. Over the course of 12 months, Oasis plonked 4 singles with 12 generally brilliant (and some single-worthy songs) into the hands of fans on top of Morning Glory. It was a golden era, but they also literally pissed a sensational 3rd album up the wall.
Old 06-09-2019, 22:39
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I know Noel did a reimagined version of Do You Know What I mean for an anniversary boxset of Be Here Now, but I'd love to have the entire album rerecorded as stripped back versions without the over the top production and far too long guitar solos.
Apparently he tried and got bored
Old 07-09-2019, 07:34
Knowlede Is Power

Be here now is waaay too loud, the arrangments are waaay too over the top, the ideas are streached waaay too thin, the songs are waaay too long, and the band did waaay too much coke while making it.

Thats what makes it brilliant.
Its a glorious desaater of a record, the likes of which has not been seen since.
Old 07-09-2019, 14:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
But obviously this period remains the great mystery of rock. Over the course of 12 months, Oasis plonked 4 singles with 12 generally brilliant (and some single-worthy songs) into the hands of fans on top of Morning Glory. It was a golden era, but they also literally pissed a sensational 3rd album up the wall.
Yes, the lack of foresight in recording so many great songs for b-sides is bizarre when you look back, although I suppose at the time you never know when the bubble's going to burst.

That said, if Noel had kept them, we would have ended up with an eight minute version of 'The Masterplan' with three guitar solos, a six minute 'Underneath the Sky', a really ploddy 'Cloudburst' with strings all over it... at least he had the decency to Be Here Now-ise his lesser songs.
Old 08-09-2019, 16:22
Born to end

The demo tape of Be Here Now is much more pleasant to listen to than the finished album. The songs are shorter and the horribly compressed 40 guitar parts all at volume 11 aspect is absent.
Old 08-09-2019, 17:57
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Wonder what the complete demos of The Holy Bible sound like unless we've already heard what's available.