Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-07-2014, 17:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

What do your family think of the Manics?

My dad puts up with them. I dare not show them to my mother or brother.
Old 21-07-2014, 17:29
I live to fall asleep

My mum liked Postcards when she walked in on me listening to it and complimented me on listening to "something nice" for a change. Not sure what that says about my mum or the Manics.
My brother, who only listens to weird pagan folklore metal bands from Scandinavia and Russia, claims YLAINE is their one decent song.
The rest of my family isn't really aware of them, I guess. They are not big in the old country.

Livet δr kort, fφr kort fφr att slφsas bort
Lδmna hatet εt gamanar

Old 21-07-2014, 18:34
I live to fall asleep

My Mum always likes to have a quick listen to new stuff and really liked RTF. She's always said how awful the whole Richey thing is/was..... it always upsets her, which is sweet. My brother isn't bothered one way or another, my 5 year old nephew LOVES them, and plays air guitar to Tsunami
Old 21-07-2014, 18:37
Footprint of history

My fella has that usual attitude that 'other half's' have to someone you love. I took him to the Wolves Civic to see them on the PPAF tour and he slept through a 1/3rd of it. My older son has come to see them with me a couple of times.
Old 21-07-2014, 18:55
Winterlover

My dad quite likes them, he has lots of their songs on his ipod. My sister thinks they're ok but wouldn't go out her way to listen to them, she does like the daft stuff they do like putting Nicky on cooking shows and thinks Sean is the coolest member of the band (I think partly cause she's short too). My brother only knows ADFL and thinks it's "awright", and I don't think my mum really bothers.

Last edited by lauren--c; 21-07-2014 at 19:01.
Old 21-07-2014, 18:55
Freed from the century

My mum loves them. She especially likes TIMTTMY and RTF- she's not so big on gonzo metal stuff (i.e. AID)

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 21-07-2014, 19:05
Footprint of history

My Mom and Dad who are 78 and 85 always watch them if they on the Telly now just to see what I have been raving about all these years, they always say what a poor singer James is live but they from the era of 'proper' singers like Sinatra and Doris Day so can't understand why band singers can't sing that good live.
Old 21-07-2014, 19:15
Builder of routine

my mum and dad couldn't care less really but my dad is impressed that James can do up a tie *properly*. He always moans at the tv when he sees a suited bloke in a wonky single-knotted tie. Bizzarely he says that no-one can pull on your tie and choke you if you double-knot it.. thanks dad.
Old 21-07-2014, 19:15
Footprint of history

My parents were the ones who first bought their stuff (EMG) and they took me to my first Manics gig in 2001. Mum's been a couple of times since.
Old 21-07-2014, 19:59
Winterlover

My mum likes them, kind of in a casual fan way but picking up a lot more than your average casual fan would because of me. When I first got into the Manics she had EMG and FD in her CD collection (STILL IN THEIR SHRINK-WRAP THOUGH). She's very supportive of my Manicsy endeavours, which I appreciate muchly ^_^ She took me to my first Manics gig, came with me when I won two tickets and a meet-and-greet for another, and has ferried me around the country for countless gigs/signings/pilgrimages. I think she enjoys seeing me enjoy them more than she enjoys them herself, aw.

My brother thinks they're appalling, especially Nicky. Divorced from the band aspect, however, he thinks Sean Moore is quite a boss. My grandparents mostly lump them in with 'modern thump-thump music where you can't tell what they're saying' - although they did hear ADFL on the radio the other day and informed me that it was 'actually alright', I'm thinking it must have been an acoustic version, trololol. They'll always tell me if they notice the band are going to be on TV or whatever.
Old 21-07-2014, 20:07
I live to fall asleep

Both rents now passed away but as i recall they regarded the music as an awful lot of shouting-bless em
Old 21-07-2014, 20:09
Doors slowly closing

I don't think they have an opinion on them. I don't talk to them about MSP... why would I?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 21-07-2014, 20:35
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I don't think they have an opinion on them. I don't talk to them about MSP... why would I?
The same really - I mean I'm in my 30s - I've not lived at home for years!!

Looking back to my teenage years though, my brothers were both fans. I remember going to see the Manics in Smithfield with both of them when I was in Uni. One of my brothers is a musician and I remember when drunk at my 30th he admitted that I had strongly influenced his musical tastes and if it were not for my constant badgering he would never have picked up the bass at all...in fact, he suggested he could still be listening to the Outhere Brothers (and that transformation is my gift to the world!)

My partner likes some of their music - mainly RTF and YLAINE - but for him Axl Rose is king

Last edited by pineapple; 21-07-2014 at 21:00. Reason: OCD response to grammatical error I spotted...
Old 21-07-2014, 20:55
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
They know I like them. My brother liked/had a slight interest in them. Think my brother-in-law has TIMTTMY.
And that's it, really. I'm pretty much on my own with Die Antwoord though.
Old 21-07-2014, 20:56
I live to fall asleep

My fella is now a huge fan. At first he just went to gigs cos of me but now he loves them.