Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-11-2014, 18:39
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
There appears to be a US link to the set - no signed copies left. $85.99 US. Canada is $91.99.
I wonder why it's so much more expensive to ship to Ireland than it is to the UK? hmmmm
Old 06-11-2014, 18:54
Freed from the century

Think I'll probably skip this one. For the tracks I want from it, complete waste of money.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 06-11-2014, 19:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists View Post
Think I'll probably skip this one. For the tracks I want from it, complete waste of money.
I was thinking the same but i'm wondering about buying it and keeping the couple of CD's I want and then selling the rest. If I got £25 for the vinyl and magazine (try and get it signed sometime maybe!) then i'd be happy with effectively paying £25 for the CD's. Hmmmm
Old 06-11-2014, 19:37
Doors slowly closing

The live tracks are just the 2nd Astoria gig recordings, which have been around for years and are occasionally played on bbc6 music as well. The audio isn't exactly the best either, what with the muggy sound and interference from Richey's dodgy guitar playing. Unless they've remastered it somehow, its not worth it. Will wait until this is in the bargain bin.
Old 06-11-2014, 20:04
A self-made vacuum

Going by the pictures of the boxset, the tracklisting seems a tad small on the cover
Old 06-11-2014, 20:11
Stretched out in the sun

I'll wait for the 30th anniversary boxset... or 40th... whenever they decide to release the definitive set.

Old 06-11-2014, 20:18
Freed from the century

Sad to see that leaked Japanese track list was correct then. Going to repeat myself a bit now but simply can't believe the only demos made for THB were the 2 on the 10th anniversary set. Arguably Comfort Comes has more right to be on there over YLU(heavenly) too.

I've got no interest in a remaster of an album that already sounds great in both it's forms so it's £50 for a book, a few tracks from a radio session done a few weeks ago (which if they had appeared on the BBC website I'd probably listened to once) and a version of Revol which at most must have 10seconds of unheard talking which was clearly so underwhelming that they preferred the version we all know they've spent 20 years trash talking.

Christ that makes me sound miserable but my disappointment is about as high as my excitement was for the epic GT reissue! Very depressing that they've stopped dead prompting a great new album for the sake of this money raising exercise.

Last edited by Glyn; 06-11-2014 at 20:51.
Old 06-11-2014, 20:21
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmanstar View Post
Might be obvious but are you choosing correct Mastercard/visa from the drop down?

Oh yes believe me. It has happened to me in all web stores managed by MyPlayDirect since early this year. No matter which card I use, Visa or MasterCard, they all get rejected in an instant. If I pay via PayPal the order goes through but it gets cancelled days later because MyPlayDirect claim they cannot process the payment (whereas in PayPal it shows they never try to claim it).

I've been exchanging mails with them for a month now and they claim there's nothing wrong with their system and don't know what happens.

So, in short: does anyone know if the boxset will be available in Amazon?
Old 06-11-2014, 20:33
Freed from the century

To cheer myself up I've had a think of a fantasy box set :

Full demos (Yes, Of Walking Abortion, This is Yesterday & PCP acoustic demos)
Faster demo (unheard aborted early version)
Unused recorded dialogue quotes for album
4st 7lb - boo radleys cover version
Judge yr'self - original version
Penny Royal Tea
DVD : 'I am an architect' documentary tracing the references made song by song including origins of dialogue quotes, literary references and cultural context
Alex Silva interview
She is suffering - Patrick Jones video which manages the impossible of actually being worse than the original

Take my £50 now!

Last edited by Glyn; 06-11-2014 at 20:50.
Old 06-11-2014, 20:41
I live to fall asleep

You know ready some people's comments on here critiquing (shall we say) the box set has got me thinking that there isn't really that much exciting about it. But I'm still happy to get it. Pity there's no new DVD interview thingy with it though.
Old 06-11-2014, 21:21
Doors slowly closing

I feel let down by this new tatbox. Not sure why I ordered really... I need to be getting rid of stuff, not collecting more
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-11-2014, 21:26
Doors slowly closing

It's basically a very posh vinyl copy of the album and the CDs are added tat/glorified coffee mug coasters.

I can just about agree to that for £50. Holy Bible coasters FTW!

Having said that, it's not that posh because an album of that length should really come on double 45rpm vinyl and even then the US mix CD would still dump all over it as a listening experience.

In other words, my dream box 25th anniversary set would be both mixes on eight sides on vinyl. Mmmm.
Old 06-11-2014, 21:35
Administrator

Can't really imagine there's much left to release from this era, given the lack of new stuff here.
Old 06-11-2014, 21:43
I live to fall asleep

I won't be getting this, I'd never play the vinyl unless maybe ONCE at some point, I have the original album and the 10th anniversary with the US mix already, have most of the b-sides and the live stuff is around on the net to listen to - Is the gig not even complete recording? What's that all about?!?. If it was a lot cheaper and had a DVD too I'd get it. Oh well, can't afford it really any way sadly
Old 06-11-2014, 21:44
Knowlede Is Power

I personally won't be getting this. It is one of my absolute favourite records of all time but there's nothing on it that warrants spending £50 on it. 99% of it is already available on the 10th anniversary / bootlegs. Fair play, £50 is a great price if you don't already have the album or any of the singles, but to someone who has been into the band for years and already owns 3 copies (picture disc, original cd and 10th anniversary) of the album plus all the singles with B-sides etc it's not justifiable. I'd rather save the dosh and spend it on merch at the gigs in December.