Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-02-2010, 06:19
Banned

THB B-sides

I was listening to sculpture of man the other day and everything about it screamed Gold against the Soul era. The production, the sound of the guitar, James's singing, the lyrics to some extent etc. I was just thinking if anyone thought the same and think that these b-sides are leftovers from the GATS era. Especially when the Holy Bible is a little bit of a concept album, it makes sense that there would be no b-sides due to the focus on the album process being used instead of recording twenty songs and picking the best ten (kind of like SATT).
Old 15-02-2010, 08:27
Doors slowly closing

it's not an uncommon trick, really - famous cases are The Rolling Stones Tattoo You album, which was ten years worth of unreleased stuff put out as an album, and then The Stranglers put out Strange Little Girl years after they had first written and recorded it.

back then it wasn't a digital free-for-all where absolutely everything could be released as part of an mp3 download; so songs that wouldn't fit (or there just wouldn't be space for on an lp / CD) would be held on to until there was a suitable way to release them.

more specifically to your observation, i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn from one of the wiser ones here that Sculpture Of Man went as far back as GT, really.....
blog
Old 15-02-2010, 10:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
But Too Cold Here and Love Torn Us Under fit the THB blueprint and probably would have ended up on the album... if Nicky had learned a bass part to it in time in time?
There isn't a lot of leftover material from THB judging from the b-sides (Heavenly YLU, Chemical Brothers remixes and live stuff) and even though it rocks like a bastard, the lyrics to Sculpture of Man are too... "funny" to sit alongside lyrics about the holocaust, capital punishment and whatever the hell Revol was about. But I can see your point about it being a GATS hangover. Mind you, play Comfort Comes before it and they don't sound like they are cut from the exact same cloth musically.
Old 15-02-2010, 20:21
Bored out of my mind

Comfort Comes is definitely more THB for me.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-02-2010, 21:33
Winterlover

Yes, Comfort Comes is the final step on their way from GATS to HB, but were recorded for LBAL release. Dunno about Sculpture Of Man, someone ask James or Sean when You meet them please!
Old 15-02-2010, 23:02
Desire on its knees

I always thought it matched the 'Revol' and 'PCP' template of the guitar intro which sounds nothing like the main song. Though, of course SOM has the outro as well, of course...
Old 16-02-2010, 00:00
I am purity, they call me perverted

I personally can't see much of a likeness between Sculpture of a Man and GATS, the production doesn't sound the same, nor do the lyrics (more vicsceral and angry). The other B-sides, what are they again, Love torn us Under and Too Cold Here, not sure about those ones really. Comfort Comes, those lyrics wouldn't have been out of place on THB admittedly.
Old 17-02-2010, 00:30
I live to fall asleep

Always wondered if Love Torn Us Under was a song Richey would secretly prefered to have included on the Holy Bible and perhaps if the band were uncomfortable with the subject matter then making it a moody acoustic number made leaving it off an easy decision.

Certainly they've steered clear of any discussion of Richey's lost true love, which I believe the song to be about, in fact they've never denied the speculation that they were jealous of the mystery lady and how Richey was closer to her emotionally than to them.

For me it explains Richey's true state of mind and may be the most important lyric in explaining what was going through his mind. Like Nicky later wrote '...how could you become another boy struck dumb with love?' Perhaps Richey was just a heartbroken romantic after all.

For the other songs though I'd agree, certainly the lyrics seem to belong to Gold Against the Soul days.
Old 17-02-2010, 07:19
Bored out of my mind

They probably steer clear of mentioning this lady cos it's Richey's business. Can't imagine jealousy to be the reason.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-02-2010, 07:31
Banned

I know it hasn't been mentioned anywhere but I think Lover Torn Us Under could be James's first stab at a lyric. He broke up with a fiance at around the same time and I don't think Richey was in the right place to write a personal love song of sorts. Nicky has just got married. If it's not by James I would certainly think it was about him. Timing wise this would make it a THB era b-side.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:07
Doors slowly closing

The Roses B-Sides are definitely THB era sounding (apart from Are Mothers Saints), as is 'Sculpture of Man'. Even though SOM has the same riff as YSTSFMH it's definitely THB, none of that stadium rock rubbish.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:12
Bored out of my mind

SOM has the same riff as YSTS? Really? :suprise:
Old 17-02-2010, 21:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
SOM has the same riff as YSTS? Really? :suprise:
Listen to the intro of both songs, and spot the difference. They are the same, i love the fact they ripped themselves off five years later and got a chart scoring single out of it!
Old 17-02-2010, 22:01
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon

Haha! Yeah, I do hear what you mean actually, having just compared both intros!! It's almost uncanny!
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.
Old 17-02-2010, 22:03
Bored out of my mind

Well I've always said YSTS rocks haven't I?