Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-05-2009, 17:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

Wire seems to be gettign a lot of 'blame' here. Are they actually on record as saying that the editing process was entirely down to him? As i haven't heard that.

I / We was / will be everything forever.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line View Post
If you don't like them editing it, then stop listening. It is as simple as that. They had their reasons, they made their choices and there's not anything you can do about it. I'm not saying you have to like it, but you got a album they could've choosen not to release - You got it, and you're still complaining?
Tsh.
Actually I'm complaing about you saying I have no right to complain. It's a discussion board, if you don't like what I say then go fuck yourself because you're not a manics fan if you try to supress the opinions of others. I have every right to voice my pig headed opinion like everyone else here, I'm making constructive criticism, you are just making destructive criticism in order to end the conversation because you disagree, in other words

LITTLE TROLL!

Last edited by Bought In; 18-05-2009 at 17:22.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:15
Stretched out in the sun

And usually I am sure James said somewhere it's him who edits most of the lyrics that Richey ever game him, and then builds a tune around them...

Like people have already said, Richey's lyrics have ALWAYS been edited, because he basically wrote neverending essays. I think they boys have done a really good job with this, they didn't even have to publish the fucking lyrics... I'm just glad we actually got to see them, cos they are really interesting to read.

I do however, wish the line about vanishing cream was used
Old 18-05-2009, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought In View Post
Actually I'm complaing about you saying I have no right to complain. It's a discussion board, if you don't like what I say then go fuck yourself because you're not a manics fan if you try supress the opinions of others. I have every right to voice my pig headed opinion like everyone else here, I'm making constructive criticism, you are just making destructive criticism in order to end the conversation because disagree, in other words

LITTLE TROLL!
Well, it certainly doesn't soudn like that. I'm not supressing your opinions (at least, that was not my intention) I am arguing against them.

I am not. I am defending the Manics because I think what they are doing is fair - I am voicing my opinion, just like you are voicing yours.
So oh, how mature you are - You are hating on me because I am telling you my opinion and now you're telling me I'm supressing your opinions?

I don't think so.. But you know, I don't want to continue this discussion further, because it'll never end. You have an opionion and I have one. It's not the same, and that's the way it is. The end.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:21
Stretched out in the sun

IT'S LIKE THAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line View Post
and that's the way it is.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by A boy called Rita View Post
And usually I am sure James said somewhere it's him who edits most of the lyrics that Richey ever game him, and then builds a tune around them...

Like people have already said, Richey's lyrics have ALWAYS been edited, because he basically wrote neverending essays.

The difference is that Richey was around to give his approval / disapproval of the changes then and he isn't now. It's no longer a collaboration. That's something the band don't seem to have gotten their head around (understandably). In a project like this the band have to realize they are curators. It's not about them, it's about the guy who's not there. If they can't accept that then they shouldn't have done it.

Old 18-05-2009, 17:31

Quote:
IT'S LIKE THAT...

... I actually had that tune in my head while writing it
Old 18-05-2009, 17:32
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboatman View Post
The difference is that Richey was around to give his approval / disapproval of the changes then and he isn't now. It's no longer a collaboration. That's something the band don't seem to have gotten their head around (understandably). In a project like this the band have to realize they are curators. It's not about them, it's about the guy who's not there. If they can't accept that then they shouldn't have done it.
Well yes, that is pretty obvious. But they did say they were initially worried about it, because they wanted to make something Richey would have been proud of or whatever. If they really thought Richey would have hated how they had edited the lyrics, I am sure they wouldn't have done it.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:38

Quote:
Well yes, that is pretty obvious. But they did say they were initially worried about it, because they wanted to make something Richey would have been proud of or whatever. If they really thought Richey would have hated how they had edited the lyrics, I am sure they wouldn't have done it.
Sure. I don't disagree with that. It doesn't mean that they are right though. I just think the words shoudl ahve been sancrosanct. It leaves me concerned but perhaps i should wait to see for myself before saying more about it.

Old 18-05-2009, 17:41
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboatman View Post
I just think the words shoudl ahve been sancrosanct. .
"Words, words words"
Old 18-05-2009, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbill View Post
"Words, words words"
An excess of purpose and usefulness in that post. Thank you.

Old 18-05-2009, 17:51
An imitation of dignity

some people on this forum need to get a grip.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:56
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
So they edited Richey's lyrics to fit them into conventional song structure, more or less what they've always done since writing music. It's hardly worth making them pariahs because of it! Maybe Nicky should've kept the lyrics locked in his drawer forever so none of us would ever get to read them or hear them as pop lyrics, which is what they were intended.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:58
Bored of being bored

I'd be really interested to see the original lyrics for other albums now, just to see how much JDB has edited lyrics in the past, or if it was just that JFPL seemed particularly madcap.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 18-05-2009, 18:02
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial Symphony No.1 View Post
So they edited Richey's lyrics to fit them into conventional song structure, more or less what they've always done since writing music. It's hardly worth making them pariahs because of it! Maybe Nicky should've kept the lyrics locked in his drawer forever so none of us would ever get to read them or hear them as pop lyrics, which is what they were intended.

Agree with this.

It would have been nice if they'd chopped less of the lyrics out, but that's just my selfishness speaking.

Would Richey be happy with the edits?
He gave up any rights to have an opinion on these lyrics when he buggered off.