Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-05-2009, 16:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
There are some lost lyrical great bits in there, and I think it's great we can read the real lyrics, but I think it's a bit unfair to be too critical. We really have no idea what the original PCP read like for example.

That said, it's not like these lyrics were too complicated, and some of them could have been kept in....but this isn't a Richey Edwards solo album, it's a manics album, so I think the others have every right to decide what lyric went in or not.
Thiiis.
We don't have a single right to complain - We could've got a SATT2, but instead they choose to give us (and themselves) a Richey-lyrics album. They obviously have their reasons for keeping some of the lyrics out of their songs, because knowing the Manics, they would never do anything 'just because'.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:32

As far as i'm concerned one of the things that makes the Manics so amazing is the way Richey and the Wire could churn out such great lyrcs and james and sean could make them work with some great tunes. The album is amazing and I am just grateful to be listening to another awesome record from the Manics.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:38
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Spot on. The second verse for Jackies is pretty poor and the editing has been done to make the lyrics as powerful as possible.
I disagree here. On hearing Jackie Collins many weeks back I felt the second verse didn't make much sense, I couldn't understand "Does that mean you've gone to seed" in the context of the recording - the "you've" seemed to refer to a subject that hadn't been introduced. However, when seeing the original lyric sheet the line now makes sense. I'm not saying the "lingerie" line is a brilliant lyric but it does give the subsequent lines meaning.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line View Post
Thiiis.
We don't have a single right to complain - We could've got a SATT2, .
I'm sure other people would say we don't have the right to complain if SATT2 was released.

The manics made their start by criticising every other band around so I have every right to criticise what they do, so they would have the right to criticise my work. If they didn't want to be judged, they wouldn't of released the unedited lyrics. they had their reasons, sure, it doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:42
Bored out of my mind

WILL YOU LOT STOP BLOODY MOANING!!!

(Not all of you I know!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-05-2009, 16:43

Does anyone else feel the way William's Last Words has been edited is possibly a bit exploitative/devisive? You could have made anything out of all those words, the lines seem to have very deliberately picked out to make some sort of 'suicide note', which to be honest isn't there when you read it as a whole
Old 18-05-2009, 16:45
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by less than zero View Post
Does anyone else feel the way William's Last Words has been edited is possibly a bit exploitative/devisive? You could have made anything out of all those words, the lines seem to have very deliberately picked out to make some sort of 'suicide note', which to be honest isn't there when you read it as a whole
If they would have wanted to exploit WLW James would have sung and it would have been released as a single. It reads as a farewell and a sheer amount of it reads as nonsense.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:46
Bored out of my mind

I don't think that about WLW, others might of course.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-05-2009, 16:50

I think they've been edited really well for the most part. Stuff like Facing Page, for example, is great to read, but they could never have contained all those lyrics and made a reasonable song out of them. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Wire either, James is the one doing the vocals and IIRC he was the one that edited most of THB lyrics in to something he could actually perform, and I'd guess he had a similar level of input here.

I think it's great that they've allowed us to read the full lyrics. This is hardly a commercial album and it's not as if they've turned them in to pop songs.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:51

I've loved the album from first listen but i've become quite concerned about the lyrical butchering now. I have yet to see the full lyrics so I don't yet know how they've been changed, apart from glimpses in various videos (Jackie Collins, the channel 4 documentary etc) but from what i gather a lot has been left out. there's even been repeat verses when verses have been left out?! What on Earth is the logic behind that?

I really hope they haven't massacred Richey's lyrics. If you're going to do a projectlike this then surely the lyrics should be sancrosanct? Given that the author isn't here to give his approval to the edits.

To be honest: why are there edits anyway?! William's Last Words i understand because they were shoehorning prose into a song but the rest? As i say, i'm now a bit concerened about it. I suppose the one good thing about it is that people can still see the original, unedited lyrics.

(well, two good things: they made a brilliant album )

I / We was / will be everything forever.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:56

Don't be concerned about it, we still have Richey's poetry. The lyrics haven't been butchered AT ALL in my opinion, and some of the edits I completely agree with (such as the changing of the chorus in SBHIABOB).
Old 18-05-2009, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought In View Post
I'm sure other people would say we don't have the right to complain if SATT2 was released.

The manics made their start by criticising every other band around so I have every right to criticise what they do, so they would have the right to criticise my work. If they didn't want to be judged, they wouldn't of released the unedited lyrics. they had their reasons, sure, it doesn't mean I have to like it.
But would you rather have a SATT2 or JFPL? Yeah, JFPL right? You got it. I'm not saying you don't have the rights to criticise Manics themselves, but I'm sure they wouldn't criticise you - Seriously. I'm sure they expected people to be happy for this; they gave us an (the album) we all wanted to hear, and now people are complaining because they edited the lyrics?

If you don't like them editing it, then stop listening. It is as simple as that. They had their reasons, they made their choices and there's not anything you can do about it. I'm not saying you have to like it, but you got a album they could've choosen not to release - You got it, and you're still complaining?
Tsh.
Old 18-05-2009, 16:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
WILL YOU LOT STOP BLOODY MOANING!!!
probably not...
Old 18-05-2009, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
I was originally annoyed about JCEQT, but then again how could James sing lingerie to the tune he wrote and not sound stupid?
Then he should have written a different tune. The songs should have been made to fit Richey's lyrics, not the other way round. You can't take someone elses work and take such creative liberties with it when they are not able to give any input to the process, no matter how good friends you used to be.

There are loads of lines on the Holy Bible that didn't fit in to the verse / chorus structure. On those occasions they wrote in an extra part of the song (the ending refrains for example).

From the glimpses i've seen the lyrics seem a lot better in their full form.

I / We was / will be everything forever.
Old 18-05-2009, 17:07
Winterlover

The only one I take a bit of issue with is WLW. It seems to me to be the only one where Wire deliberately changed the intent and made it say something it wasn't necessarily meant to.

I can see why he did it; just not sure I like it.