Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-09-2010, 23:40
Stretched out in the sun

The closing moments of "Removables" are wonderfully unsettling. One of my favourite little musical pieces in the entire Manics canon.
Old 26-09-2010, 00:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person on FD who actually likes "Removables".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenstain View Post
Nope, I love that song to bits.
Great song. There are a few on the album I find average, none I actually dislike.
Old 26-09-2010, 20:14
An imitation of dignity

Removables contains one of my top ten MSP moments - the start of the second chorus where James lets go and screams 'ALL REMOVABLES!!'
Old 26-09-2010, 20:23
An imitation of dignity

I think it was a shame that the EMG 10th anniversary edition didn't include any of the demos that were actually completed when Richey was still around. According to Simon Price's book they had demoed Kevin Carter, Elvis Impersonator & Small Black Flowers in late 1994. Would be good to hear the versions of songs that Richey would have heard.
Old 26-09-2010, 23:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
James has dismissed the rumour that Richey played guitar on No Surface...He couldn't play his guitar and had been reported to the Union for Rock Star Guitar Players by Mr Disgusted Rockster of Tunbridge Wells who withdrew his membership card

That latter bit may be another rumour
What did James say exactly about it? Because as far as I can tell the rhythm guitar bit at the end of NSAF sounds very much like Richey's guitar playing (check out the Glastonbury 94 performances when Richey actually played, the tone and overall sound of his guitar sounds pretty close as far as tone goes to whats played at the end of NSAF.)
Old 27-09-2010, 00:07
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
The only one I wonder about is No Surface All Feeling. I always assumed it was written after Richey's disappearance, largely because of the lyrics. Sounds like standard Wire "feeling detached and empty during the remainder of '95" stuff to me. Now I hear Richey played on the song?
Well, seeing as Richey wrote the lyric, I think it's safe to say it was written before he disappeared.

Unless the Manics really have known where he's been all this time?
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 27-09-2010, 00:08
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailofdan View Post
I think australia was written because sean wanted to escape and move away, this is where the song came from
Sean Moore: famous lyricist!
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 27-09-2010, 00:09

I have to jump in on a thread where Further Away is getting bashed. Due to my own self-inflicted EMG over-exposure, I hadn't listened to the album in almost a decade when one night I drunkenly decided to play some tracks from it. Playing this song reduced me to horrible tears in a way I wasn't prepared for or expecting in the slightest. It's now my favourite from that album.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:55
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
Well, seeing as Richey wrote the lyric, I think it's safe to say it was written before he disappeared.

Unless the Manics really have known where he's been all this time?
Oh, I don't think Richey wrote NSAF. I remember reading in Q or something just after EMG came out that the song was written by Nicky while he was on tour and missing his wife (must have been written during the THB tour). As I recall, he mentioned it being 'a sort of love song to her'. So, it was neither written by or about Edwards.
Old 27-09-2010, 03:04

Yeah I'm fairly certain NSAF's lyrics would have had to been written post-Richey's disappearance, the lyrics in fact reflect that I believe. I was under the impression Richey's only possible involvement with that song was that they possibly had a take of Richey playing some guitar lying around (either that was unused or they were working on the music for the song before Richey's disappearance and Richey simply contributed a small guitar part for the song) and they decided to add it into the song's mix.
Old 27-09-2010, 03:44
Bored of being bored

Urgh!!! What the fuck am I on about? My brain clearly hasn't recovered from last night. Of course it was Nicky that wrote the lyric. It doesn't even sound like a Richey lyric! I'm such a fucking numpty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Oh, I don't think Richey wrote NSAF. I remember reading in Q or something just after EMG came out that the song was written by Nicky while he was on tour and missing his wife (must have been written during the THB tour). As I recall, he mentioned it being 'a sort of love song to her'. So, it was neither written by or about Edwards.
That's Further Away, no? He wrote the lyrics to that on the THB tour, and has said it was the closest they'd come to a love song, but always denies that it was a fully-fledged love song.

- Stewart Lee
Old 27-09-2010, 17:49
An imitation of dignity

Does anyone know whether the version of Small Black Flowers on the EMG 10th anniversary edition of EMG is the version that Richey heard the night before he disappeared? I could be wrong but am sure that on the way to the Embassy Hotel the night before he disappeared, James played him a demo of Small Black Flowers in the car??
Old 27-09-2010, 18:00
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
I have to jump in on a thread where Further Away is getting bashed. Due to my own self-inflicted EMG over-exposure, I hadn't listened to the album in almost a decade when one night I drunkenly decided to play some tracks from it. Playing this song reduced me to horrible tears in a way I wasn't prepared for or expecting in the slightest. It's now my favourite from that album.
Pull yourself together man!
Old 27-09-2010, 18:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorticist View Post
What did James say exactly about it? Because as far as I can tell the rhythm guitar bit at the end of NSAF sounds very much like Richey's guitar playing (check out the Glastonbury 94 performances when Richey actually played, the tone and overall sound of his guitar sounds pretty close as far as tone goes to whats played at the end of NSAF.)
I can't remember which interview it was only that it must have been recent-ish - probably around the release of Journal as my memory's of limited capacity and that he was talking about some of the daftest rumours to have sprung up around Richey - and one of them was the rumour that Richey played guitar on No Surface....I remember it cos I'd heard the rumour and that was the first time I'd come across any comment on it from the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorticist View Post
Yeah I'm fairly certain NSAF's lyrics would have had to been written post-Richey's disappearance, the lyrics in fact reflect that I believe. I was under the impression Richey's only possible involvement with that song was that they possibly had a take of Richey playing some guitar lying around (either that was unused or they were working on the music for the song before Richey's disappearance and Richey simply contributed a small guitar part for the song) and they decided to add it into the song's mix.
Think it was written in 94 through the Holy Bible tour when Nicky was feeling distanced from Richey who was unravelling, self harming a pretty bleak time. It feels like that too the distance from a close friend or the barrier self harm can put up, the anger the guilt
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 27-09-2010, 18:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Think it was written in 94 through the Holy Bible tour when Nicky was feeling distanced from Richey who was unravelling, self harming a pretty bleak time. It feels like that too the distance from a close friend or the barrier self harm can put up, the anger the guilt
I thought it was just about all the band members feeling for the first time that they were becoming distant from each other, living their own lives and such rather than being 100% committed to being in a band together.