Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-09-2010, 20:24
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
Although if anyone wants to speak up for why Further Away is not their weakest track, then by all means go ahead!
yes, because Removables or A Girl Who Wanted To Be God are. but more Removables.

some quotes
@ Elvis Impersonator
Nicky: Richey wrote a draft and it sounded a bit like the group Wire. Me and Sean hated it. There weren't many lyrics anyway. Then I added a verse. I never spoke to Richey about what the original idea was. I suppose it's about kids wearing American basketball tops and stuff.

@ Removables
Nicky: That was written about three years ago. It's the oldest song on there. It was written befor The Holy Bible, and we've finally knocked it into shape. We'd forgotten about this - and then we find a bit of a Nirvana/MTV Unplugged vibe to it, being honest. It was completely done live in the studio. We've had to wait six years (sic!) but we finally played it together in the studio.

Written two years ago when Edwards was heavily into the lyrics of Kurt Cobain. Bradfield and Moore have provided a fitting Nirvana Unplugged backing. A one-take, live studio recording. - from Select Mag June 1996 by Andrew Male

all I could find atm, hope it helps.
Old 24-09-2010, 21:04
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
There aren't many songs on the album that are complex, so I don't know how it can be described as basic. Always felt the title track to be the simplest Manics song around, but each to their own.
Well, I suppose I base that a lot on the fact that it was the first one I was able to play all the way through when I first started learning guitar. No alternate tunings, no fiddly chords, and the solo is pretty simple too. Maybe that's the main reason I got bored of it before the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
yes, because Removables or A Girl Who Wanted To Be God are. but more Removables.

some quotes
@ Elvis Impersonator
Nicky: Richey wrote a draft and it sounded a bit like the group Wire. Me and Sean hated it. There weren't many lyrics anyway. Then I added a verse. I never spoke to Richey about what the original idea was. I suppose it's about kids wearing American basketball tops and stuff.

@ Removables
Nicky: That was written about three years ago. It's the oldest song on there. It was written befor The Holy Bible, and we've finally knocked it into shape. We'd forgotten about this - and then we find a bit of a Nirvana/MTV Unplugged vibe to it, being honest. It was completely done live in the studio. We've had to wait six years (sic!) but we finally played it together in the studio.

Written two years ago when Edwards was heavily into the lyrics of Kurt Cobain. Bradfield and Moore have provided a fitting Nirvana Unplugged backing. A one-take, live studio recording. - from Select Mag June 1996 by Andrew Male

all I could find atm, hope it helps.
Okay, so that confirms that Removables had indeed started out from the GATS era initially, and I'm going to take "we'd forgotten about this" to mean that they'd had it fully written before he disappeared as well.

If he never spoke to Richey about the original idea, I'm guessing that's because he added his bits later, which probably means that the music of at least the second half of it was written post-Richey.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 24-09-2010, 22:24
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Well, I suppose I base that a lot on the fact that it was the first one I was able to play all the way through when I first started learning guitar. No alternate tunings, no fiddly chords, and the solo is pretty simple too. Maybe that's the main reason I got bored of it before the rest.
Niether of us are going to win this one as Further Away was the last song I was able to learn when I was first learning.
Old 24-09-2010, 22:28
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Niether of us are going to win this one as Further Away was the last song I was able to learn when I was first learning.

Shall we just call it quits then?
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 24-09-2010, 22:40
An imitation of dignity

Whilst on the subject of EMG and Richey's involvement - do we know whether any of the EMG era B-sides were demoed at the House In The Woods sessions in early 1995? I have always assumed that these were all written by Nicky after he disappeared??

Also, can Judge Y'rself be counted as part of the EMG batch of songs - does anyone now how much of the finished recording is actually from 1995? I think Richey was present at the Judge Y'rself session, but only stayed for a couple of hours?

Really wish a book existed detailing all the recording sessions and what was recorded when.
Old 25-09-2010, 12:29
Born to end

I think australia was written because sean wanted to escape and move away, this is where the song came from
Old 25-09-2010, 13:23
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Whilst on the subject of EMG and Richey's involvement - do we know whether any of the EMG era B-sides were demoed at the House In The Woods sessions in early 1995? I have always assumed that these were all written by Nicky after he disappeared??

Also, can Judge Y'rself be counted as part of the EMG batch of songs - does anyone now how much of the finished recording is actually from 1995? I think Richey was present at the Judge Y'rself session, but only stayed for a couple of hours?

Really wish a book existed detailing all the recording sessions and what was recorded when.

Black Garden has always struck me as a very Richey-esque lyric and, even though it is credited to Nicky, I can't help but think that it could have been one of his (or at the very least, an idea upon which Nick expanded). They had gone on record as saying they wouldn't use any lyrics that Richey had left other than those that had already been worked upon before he disappeared so perhaps they thought it would cause too much of a stir to acknowledge his hand in Black Garden (i.e. capitalising on Richey in order to sell the Everything Must Go single)? The three tracks on that single were credited as "Music & Lyrics by James Dean Bradfield, Sean Moore and Nicky Wire"" if I recall recorrectly, as opposed to the usual separation of credits for music and lyrics. I don't have a physical copy but I'm guessing the God Save The Manics EP featured the "All songs by Manic Street Preachers" credit to cover Richey's lyrical contributions?

I could be totally crazy though does anybody have any radical information/opinions on this?
Old 25-09-2010, 13:28
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Scorcho View Post
Black Garden has always struck me as a very Richey-esque lyric and, even though it is credited to Nicky, I can't help but think that it could have been one of his (or at the very least, an idea upon which Nick expanded). They had gone on record as saying they wouldn't use any lyrics that Richey had left other than those that had already been worked upon before he disappeared so perhaps they thought it would cause too much of a stir to acknowledge his hand in Black Garden (i.e. capitalising on Richey in order to sell the Everything Must Go single)? The three tracks on that single were credited as "Music & Lyrics by James Dean Bradfield, Sean Moore and Nicky Wire"" if I recall recorrectly, as opposed to the usual separation of credits for music and lyrics. I don't have a physical copy but I'm guessing the God Save The Manics EP featured the "All songs by Manic Street Preachers" credit to cover Richey's lyrical contributions?

I could be totally crazy though does anybody have any radical information/opinions on this?
Black Garden is definitely Richey penned to some extent, it sounds like a THB song, it wouldn't surprise me if it was written way before EMG.
Old 25-09-2010, 13:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Further Away - a Nicky lyric from on tour in 1994, but I have no idea if the music itself was written around then. Being the weakest track on the album, I can imagine it perhaps being a late inclusion
*jumps on the "I love that song!" bandwagon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
I was under the immpression that Removables had been knocking around since GATS?
That's what I heard too, and that they didn't like their earlier musical suggestions.

The only one I wonder about is No Surface All Feeling. I always assumed it was written after Richey's disappearance, largely because of the lyrics. Sounds like standard Wire "feeling detached and empty during the remainder of '95" stuff to me. Now I hear Richey played on the song?
Old 25-09-2010, 19:56
An imitation of dignity

The No Surface All Feeling one has always been a bit of a mystery to me - I can only assume that if Richey plays on this, he is playing rhythm on the bit right at the end whilst James does the final solo. This last bit of the song sounds very much like a clip of a demo version that was tagged onto the end of the more polished studio version that was presumably recorded after Richey disappeared.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:31

Further Away = annoying

Quote:
For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expected me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans, and account for every drop of used motor oil. And I have to foot the bill for nuclear waste and burned gasoline tanks and landfilled toxic sludge dumped a generation before I was born.
Old 25-09-2010, 23:01
Winterlover

James has dismissed the rumour that Richey played guitar on No Surface...He couldn't play his guitar and had been reported to the Union for Rock Star Guitar Players by Mr Disgusted Rockster of Tunbridge Wells who withdrew his membership card

That latter bit may be another rumour
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 25-09-2010, 23:03
Stretched out in the sun

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person on FD who actually likes "Removables".
Old 25-09-2010, 23:23
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person on FD who actually likes "Removables".
Nope, I love that song to bits.
Old 25-09-2010, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenstain View Post
Nope, I love that song to bits.
Love it! That short solo after the first verse is one of my fave Manic solos.