Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-10-2007, 15:20
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan One View Post
why would you's want the manic millenium re-released? you could just take the audio from the dvd? or the gig was broadcast on the radio wasnt it?
That's the point though, what I'm really asking isn't so much "what would you want released" as "what should be released as its the best set, most representative and a good quality recording".. If I could have any gig released I'd have the last night at the apollo on the PPF tour but I think as a lasting record of the manics live the millenium gig fit better
Old 21-10-2007, 15:34
user3837

no i still dont understand....

do you consider it some sort of justification or gratification or something when a live album is "released" ? cause i dont. albums and singles barely register these days as an event when theyre released , so why should a live album?
like ive just made 5 or 6 dvds of stuff from this yr ive downloaded (tv shows, point cardiff gig, xfm gig) varying quality but the stuff is there. and wether or not its released jsut doesnt really matter
Old 21-10-2007, 15:41
Under neon loneliness

No, I just want to know what people think would be the best audio bootleg to become a commercial release, rather than which gig they think is best personally, or imaginatively for gigs which weren't recorded.

Last edited by tzb; 21-10-2007 at 15:47.
Old 21-10-2007, 15:48
user3837

no i havnt a clue what your saying......

you're talking about a bootleg, say for instance a great gig that someone wonderful like Ben has recorded, being released? but released to whom? the recording exists already...........

why would you release it? this "community " already has a great selection of live recordings to testament to the manics' brilliant live playing and all that.
live albums are a sack of shit and an absolute cop out imo.
Old 21-10-2007, 15:53
Under neon loneliness

*smacks head on wall*

it's not real, it is a purely theoretical exercise, it is just an item open for discussion. No recording will be released as a result of this thread etc

perhaps I could simplify: "BEST BOOTLEG?", or "DESERT ISLAND BOOTLEG"

If there was only one bootleg you could give to someone you knew nothing about, ie a listener in the future who is interested in the manics live, which would you pick? If you could only have a single set and a recording which actually exists

That's all, I'm not about to release a live album, I'm just using the analogy to avoid all of this tedious explaining which most people seem to have understood

Last edited by tzb; 21-10-2007 at 16:01.
Old 21-10-2007, 15:54
Administrator

Why, because you have to pay for them?
Old 21-10-2007, 16:09
user3837

no no no

a bootleg and an "official " released endorsed by the band or their managment or record label they signed to is like chalk and cheese,

just two completely different things.
bootlegs such as ben's arent supposed to be sold, the fact that theyre free and distributed amongst the fans is what is attractive about them.

and that is seperate from the manics (or namely nicky wire) sitting down putting tracks together, making a dvd or compiling a list of songs like Lipstick Tracies.
Old 21-10-2007, 16:15
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan One View Post
an "official " released endorsed by the band or their managment or record label they signed to is like chalk and cheese,

just two completely different things.
I understand that, but this isn't a band-endorsed discussion, it's a discussion amongst fans, completely theoretical etc

it was not a thread about which bootleg you think the band or their label would pick

it was not a discussion about how likely it is an actual bootleg would be officially released

what I am saying is if you had to pick one to give to a stranger whos musical tastes you knew nothing about (so you don't pick a particularly rocky or acoustic one for example), and sound quality was an issue (so no tape-based audience jobbies) which would you choose

The word "If" does feature heavily here, suggesting perhaps you engage your imaginative faculty for the sake of discussion

I really didn't expect to be making some comment on the nature of bootlegs, it was just a short-hand which as I say most seem to be fine with, sorry it has seemed to perplex you so much
Old 21-10-2007, 16:41
user3837

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zookeeper's Boy View Post
I

what I am saying is if you had to pick one to give to a stranger whos musical tastes you knew nothing about (so you don't pick a particularly rocky or acoustic one for example), and sound quality was an issue (so no tape-based audience jobbies) which would you choose
now that I understand too

but you did say/write "if a live bootleg would be released"

the answer as to which gig id give to someone ie easy......

one from this year, one from 2004/2005, one from 1998/99 one from 96, one from 94, and one from 92
Old 21-10-2007, 16:42
Under neon loneliness

yes, very good, well done
Old 21-10-2007, 20:02
Footprint of history

Ok, I'm going to keep this to gigs that I know have been recorded, so it's in keeping with the thread title. These are the ones I consider to be the best sounding shows, as well as those that have the best/most representational setlist...

I'd go with Glastonbury 1999, Bristol 2005, Edinburgh 2005, Nynex 1997, Tokyo 2003, Wembley 2002 and The Astoria 2007.

Oh, and for the record - I'm not really a fan of the term "bootleg". That, to me, implies it's being sold not traded freely. Just my two cents.
Old 21-10-2007, 20:19
Builder of routine

I'd like to have something from every era so everything's covered. Most definately the festivals too
Old 21-10-2007, 20:24
Little Caroline

Without a doubt, Glasto 94 for the for the four piece msp, it has everything from that era, nutcase james, glamourous broding nicky, richey actually playing guitar and an absolutely unbreakable sean moore.

As for the four piece, the best gig from the PPF tour, great setlist everynight, and that version of archives of pain deserves its own album really.
Old 21-10-2007, 23:31
user3837

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Ok, I'm going to keep this to gigs that I know have been recorded, so it's in keeping with the thread title. These are the ones I consider to be the best sounding shows, as well as those that have the best/most representational setlist...

I'd go with Glastonbury 1999, Bristol 2005, Edinburgh 2005, Nynex 1997, Tokyo 2003, Wembley 2002 and The Astoria 2007.

Oh, and for the record - I'm not really a fan of the term "bootleg". That, to me, implies it's being sold not traded freely. Just my two cents.
your two cents is in a stronger currency than the rest of us though ben!
dont be so modest
Old 22-10-2007, 07:44
deafmute

I want these:
Cardiff Astoria 94-10-22
London Astoria 94-12-21
Nynex 97-05-24
T in the park 99-07-11
Homecoming gig 02-11-28
Bristol 05-04-11
Leeds 05-04-17

especially PPF tour was great.