Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-01-2011, 15:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Will they ever get another Brit Award - And does it really matter?

In light of Tiny Tempah et al dominating nominations, plus no lifetime achievement award at the moment, have the Manics scored their last Brit Award?
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 14-01-2011, 15:46
I live to fall asleep

No and no.

A massively successful Greatest Hits package and tour this year might line them up for a couple of lifetime achievement awards next year, but frankly who cares?
Old 14-01-2011, 15:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
No and no.

A massively successful Greatest Hits package and tour this year might line them up for a couple of lifetime achievement awards next year, but frankly who cares?
Like - although nothing has ever beaten late 90s when I could tell my Dad that "those poofters" had made it!!!
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 14-01-2011, 15:52
I live to fall asleep

Ha, well there is that.

If they'd managed another ADFL or two they might be pushing into the really big leagues, but with only one anthem they're sort of stuck at the level they're at. Which is of course not a bad thing, and having massive hit singles is in no way a representation of quality. If they're going to be crowned Brit awards lifetime achievers they need more than one song to play at the end, and even if it was a number 1, Tolerate won't help.
Old 14-01-2011, 15:56
Stretched out in the sun

If anything, I reckon they'll be looking at an outstanding achievement award. Just looking through the people who have had that, and most of them have been relatively quiet/less popular than they were, when they've got it.

I think the video to INWJTEOL might have had the right ingredients for a nomination for best video. Bright, men in suits, celebrity guests, uplifting song... Shame nobody saw it.

I don't care if they get one or not. They're an inconsistent band... With JFPL they didn't realy do much promotion at all, but I think a lot of people on here agree that it's a miles better album than PFAYM. They didn't seem to be that bothered about chart positions, awards, reviews or anything like that. This time, they did care. I hope they go back to not caring and just make a great album without worrying about mass communication or anything like that.

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 14-01-2011 at 16:00.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:11
Winterlover

Considering Brits seem to be one of the most laughed-at large scale awards in the UK, I kinda doubt it matters in the slightest.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:13
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I think the video to INWJTEOL might have had the right ingredients for a nomination for best video.
LMFAO
Old 14-01-2011, 17:16
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post

I think the video to INWJTEOL might have had the right ingredients for a nomination for best video. Bright, men in suits, celebrity guests, uplifting song... Shame nobody saw it.
Hmmm, as at the moment I am studying Music Videos for Media. I can pretty much say it's a pretty lame video (for an award anyway). With the amount of graphics and computer animation that dominates videos nowadays there are faaaar better videos.....even if the music is shit.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:45
Winterlover

Where's the Brits 2011 thread-or has noone started one? The nominations made me laugh. I mean some of them are utterly ridiculous. I think this was one of the worst years I have ever seen. The sad thing is that there was some great pop in 2010, but all overlooked!
The bumming of Plan B, Mumford and Sons and Ellie Goulding is so obvious. Ellie Goulding had been a relative flop until that Your Song cover. She was meant to dominate British music, sell gazillions and be brilliant and noone really gives a shit about her. Bland shite. The Glee Cast??? Fuck off! Katy Perry better not win international female. Kelis should have had that bitch's spot. The British Singles list is a complete laughing stock also, exemplified by OLLY MURS. Whaa? If Tiny Tempah doesn't win that for Pass Out then people need to be shot. Although it is a public vote...
Oh and a fiver on that prick to Eminem to win best International Male. He has agreed to perform after all.

Oh well anyway back on topic the Manics are never going to win any type of Brit award ever again. They would never have won it anyway, but the Brits have also scrapped the lifetime achievement award. Obviously they felt they had run out of suitable candidates haha.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundthatsoul View Post

the Brits have also scrapped the lifetime achievement award. Obviously they felt they had run out of suitable candidates haha.
Have they?!?! Oh bloody hell, that was the only decent part! Brit award ceremonies like this are all pretty pointless. Does anyone stand in HMV holding two CDs and think 'well, this one has a sticker saying it won a Brit...'? The only interesting thing about the Brit awards was the live (were they actually live?) performances and if the lifetime achievement's gone now?

The NME Godlike Genius award - would anyone have given anything approaching a crap if we hadn't got some live stuff out of them from it?

It's not even as important as the singles. We want their singles to do well mainly because if they're successful we get more of them, and if we get more of them we get more B sides (that's my interest anyway). Award ceremonies you generally get nothing out of.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:53
Footprint of history

The Brit's must do something for sales though as the week after the albums always re-chart. The always have the token serious one in each category though, like Robert Plant in the male singers and Mumford and Sons in the groups, in the 80/90's it used to Annie Lennox or P J Harvey
Old 14-01-2011, 17:56
I live to fall asleep

That's true I suppose, you get a few new people hearing the song and deciding they like it. I mean more as a fan though - I wouldn't suppose that many fans of many bands are all that fussed about a Brit award unless they're up and coming and need the exposure.
Old 14-01-2011, 17:57
Administrator

No and no.
Old 14-01-2011, 18:08
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
The always have the token serious one in each category though, like Robert Plant in the male singers and Mumford and Sons in the groups, in the 80/90's it used to Annie Lennox or P J Harvey
Oh Annie Lennox!!! She scratched her arse and got nominated!! They scrap awards quite a bit. Remember they had Best British Dance Act? Which let the Chemical Bros/Prodigy etc who were never gonna get British Group get a look in. And British Urban Act! Lemar always won! Urban my arse!
Old 14-01-2011, 18:13
Doors slowly closing

we're nearly at the stage where those "classic rock" magazines start doing covers & dozens of pages wanking over their first albums. such articles gently stroke the cocks of those who are in charge of the record industry and invariably lead to an increase in sales. as a pat on the head, as and when this happens, they will all of a sudden start getting token gesture awards again. well, that and if the latest Greatest Hits/Best Of flogs around 100,000 - a figure which would make the Manics rather large "sleeper sellers" over the last 3 years.

i don't think the Manics - nor any band for that matter - make music with the intent of winning anything other than fans and lots of sales. sure, there are some artists who will grace an event as long as their ego is rewarded with a statue ("and how convenient Eminem is playing here tonight, he also collects an award for "shortest retirement period of an American rapper, which is fucking saying something"), but really music awards exist to massage the egos and rub the cocks of the boring old farts in control of the industry.

you can make a case for the NME Brats being an exception if you like, sure, but frequently the winners there are cover stars who help to sell the most editions, or interview-story friendly types they wish to keep "sweet".

let's be honest, the only time an "award winner" sticker has helped sell more records was when Metallica slammed "Official Grammy Loser" stickers on copies of And Justice For All after the Jethro Tull farce.
blog