Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-07-2022, 13:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Yeah I love the KYE b-sides (all of them) but the only one that I think should've really made the album is "Masking Tape", it's always felt like such a classic track and would've fit the first half of the album perfectly.
I don't know, I've always liked Masking Tape (like you, as all the KYE them) but it always seemed to be too "polished", to "genuinely happy" for that era. But I really love it.
Old 26-07-2022, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Dave Eringa has confirmed on a Facebook post that only the 22 songs which make up the two albums have been remixed. Everything else has only been remastered. He mentions them running out of time and how he really would’ve liked to have remixed “Pedestal”.
So no B-side has been remixed, hasn't it?
Which are the 22 songs? The 16 on the original album + the two "new" songs + what?
Old 26-07-2022, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo86 View Post
So no B-side has been remixed, hasn't it?
Which are the 22 songs? The 16 on the original album + the two "new" songs + what?
At a guess Masses, Just a kid, Groundhog Days and Bourgeois?
Old 26-07-2022, 15:49
I live to fall asleep

Eh... what is Eringa on about? 22 songs? I'm confused, plus Pedestal is listed on the 2nd CD so why did he not get the time to do that song and whatever other songs he missed out on? And how did they run out of time, this edition has been talked about for about two years haha!
Old 26-07-2022, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Eh... what is Eringa on about? 22 songs? I'm confused, plus Pedestal is listed on the 2nd CD so why did he not get the time to do that song and whatever other songs he missed out on? And how did they run out of time, this edition has been talked about for about two years haha!

Door to the river is 10 tracks long, solidarity is 12 tracks. That’s the 22 that they remixed. All the other tracks are bonus tracks and were maybe deemed not worth the extra work/time/expense to remix
Old 26-07-2022, 16:15
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
22 is actually correct. Check the guide above - there's 26 songs total across Door and Solidarity, with four of them being outsourced remixes. It's the remaining songs that he's talking about.

On the point of Pedestal, it's on the second CD, but it isn't part of the album that's also on the second CD. CD2 is just the only place where, after its main feature, there was enough space to fit the remaining 24 minutes of b-sides.
Old 26-07-2022, 16:21
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
On the point of Pedestal, it's on the second CD, but it isn't part of the album that's also on the second CD. CD2 is just the only place where, after its main feature, there was enough space to fit the remaining 24 minutes of b-sides.
And still relegated to b-side status when it would have slotted in perfectly with Solidarity. Or even as one of the faster tracks on Door To The River.
I know... I know... Make a playlist when it gets released. (Locust Valley is going to be the opening of one of them)
Old 26-07-2022, 17:22
Freed from the century

Yeah, the way the CDs are track listed is really going to confuse (some) people as to what Know Your Enemy even is anymore.

The vinyl track listing is the new KYE for reference.
Old 26-07-2022, 20:39
Winterlover

I am curious about the reissue and I am gonna give it a try althouth I haven't heard KYE for years now and had no plan to listen to it anymore. But two new tracks, remixes and another format are tempting. To remove Royal Correspondent and to include Groundhog Days is a move beyond me though.

On the other hand I don't really understand the effort there. The length, mix, tracklisting, inconsistency and whatever...those are minor problems of KYE. The major problem of KYE is that there are no good songs. The band peaked with THB (artistically) - EMG (mix) - TIMTTMY (commercionally) with the latter clearly showing signs of running out of breath. They needed almost 3 years to make KYE and after three years they came with a pilot single(s) So Why So Sad ( and FTS ). That was of course a catastrophy, from which they have never recovered again with YLAINE being a single commercional and JFPL a single artistic exception to their zenith in 90s.

But actually it is nice that they do so much for their hardcore fans. :-)

Last edited by Donkey; 27-07-2022 at 11:03.
Old 26-07-2022, 21:44
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I am curious about the reissue and I am gonna give it a try althouth I haven't heard KYE for years now and had no plan to listen to it anymore. But two new tracks, remixes and another format are tempting. To remove Royal Correspondent and to include Groundhog Days is a move beyond me though.

On the other hand I don't really understand the effort there. The length, mix, tracklisting, inconsistency and whatever...those are minor problems of KYE. The major problem of KYE is that there are no good songs. The band peaked with THB (artistically) - EMG (mix) - TIMTTMY (commercionally) with the latter clearly showing signs of running out of breath. They needed almost 3 years to make KYE and after three years they came with a pilot single(s) So Why So Sad ( and FTS ). That was of course a catastrophy, from which they have never recovered again with YLAINE being a single commercional and PFAYM a single artistic exception to their zenith in 90s.

But actually it is nice that they do so much for their hardcore fans. :-)
This post is full of downright weird, scolding hot takes, and I am loving it! PFAYM an artistic zenith not seen since the 90s?????

I really have heard it all now!

Keep em comming!
Old 26-07-2022, 21:56
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Welcome back Donkey! Hope things cool. Don't suppose you've heard their last album at all?
I hope they all come back. The KYE box pulsing it's heartbeat of colours.
Old 26-07-2022, 21:57
I live to fall asleep

I do kind of wish they had put in an extra CD with the full Cuba gig or that Miners gig they did in early 2001 I think it was? Oh well, not to worry. Maybe for the 30th anniversary edition haha I think that will be it for anniversary editions now of albums, there's no need for anything else to receive one, unless they can really dig out some gems for Lifeblood and really make it worthwhile with a book, documentary, live stuff, demos, bla bla. We'll see... guess there's no real need to wait for anniversaries , us fans will buy it regardless so get working on it now Nicky for a Christmas release
Old 27-07-2022, 07:40
Desire on its knees

A Lifeblood anniversary edition would be fantastic, there could be one or two similar to 'Rosebud'. Maybe I'm expecting too much now, haha.
Old 27-07-2022, 08:45
Desire on its knees

hopefully if the "remixed, refocussed, reclaimed" approach to the entire KYE era works for Nicky, he'll attempt to do the same for Lifeblood eventually. If he sees this release as successfully rectifying the missteps of 2000-2, I can't see it being too long until the urge to rewrite the 2004 period - what would now be the remaining "lost" period in the band's career - starts creeping in...
Old 27-07-2022, 11:01
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
This post is full of downright weird, scolding hot takes, and I am loving it! PFAYM an artistic zenith not seen since the 90s?????

I really have heard it all now!

Keep em comming!
Oops, thanks for that, I'll correct it. JFPL!