Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 12-09-2021, 09:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Random question, in The Secret He Had Missed was James singing Julia's part with an incredibly convincing accent or did they play back the recorded version over the top? It looked like James was singing the lines, but it sounded like such a good replication of her vocal that I wasn't sure.
James was singing the lines, but I'll be honest I don't recall any female vocals getting played as I was so busy singing myself (which thankfully don't get picked up too much on my video haha).
Old 12-09-2021, 09:21
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Why the hell are they playing Sweet Child O' Mine, yet nothing from their two best albums?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct View Post
Why the hell are they playing Sweet Child O' Mine, yet nothing from their two best albums?
Having to guess which two albums you consider to be their best.... predicting one to be the Holy Bible, James has said recently that to do the songs justice they've got to be in the right mindset to perform them, which as they get older is harder to switch straight into for a song or two.

If the second is Gold Against the Soul then your guess is as good as mine. Whilst From Despair to Where/Roses/La Tristesse are probably on the 'b-list' in terms of rotation into the set list (i.e. not the top tier hits like Motorcycle/Tolerate/Design, etc but get fairly regular plays), but for whatever reason didn't make it this time round. That said, on the last tour (TIMTTMY 20th anniversary) there was a fairly number of GATS played in the hits section.

Other than that you'll have to ask the band themselves!
Old 12-09-2021, 12:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
It's a festival. And they enjoy playing it. Nicky seems to have tried to learn Duff's intro bass line. I would bet that Swwt Child got the biggest pop of the night for them. The people were definitely into it.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
It's a festival. And they enjoy playing it. Nicky seems to have tried to learn Duff's intro bass line. I would bet that Swwt Child got the biggest pop of the night for them. The people were definitely into it.
A good cover is usually a decent bet for a festival set (or, as in 2019, a bit of a curio in what was a rarities-packed set). I wonder if it'll get binned for the tour for something like walk me to the bridge or FDTW. I'd guess the bunnymen one is here to stay though.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:07
Doors slowly closing

The other album I was referring to was Journals.

I can take them not playing their best (IMO) stuff, because I've been going to see them for over 20 years and I'm used to it, but playing that song is just lame. If they only had a couple of albums it would be lame, but they have 14.
I am assuming this started when they were doing support slots in front of mostly non fans?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:08
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
The other album I was referring to was Journals.

I can take them not playing their best (IMO) stuff, because I've been going to see them for over 20 years and I'm used to it, but playing that song is just lame. If they only had a couple of albums it would be lame, but they have 14.
I am assuming this started when they were doing support slots in front of mostly non fans?
Did it start on the Greenday support slots? They swapped it in for FWDTW on the TIMT tour.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:10
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I thought it was pretty much their own gig with a few support bands? Perhaps I'm wrong on that.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:19
Winterlover

Much like why they’ll always play you stole the sun, it gets the punters moving innit? One is fine though I suppose, two is pushing it. Though I object to sweet child because I think it’s a bit crap and turns into a panto.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 12-09-2021, 13:36
Winterlover

Don't mind them playing the odd cover but Sweet Child... is a very long song and they could easily perform a couple of songs in the same length of time. I suppose they are now going to try and appeal to the casuals more because they want people to have a "good" time because of the bloody pandemic. I hope they sort the set list out for the tour because I'll just end up selling my tickets otherwise because I'd rather someone that really wants to go to have them instead.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 12-09-2021, 16:06
Builder of routine

I love sweet child ...so wouldn't have minded hearing it again but not remotely fussed about bring on the dancing horses.
If this gig was part of a festival then that'll explain the two covers. Wouldn't panic just yet
Old 12-09-2021, 16:57
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
I thought it was pretty much their own gig with a few support bands? Perhaps I'm wrong on that.
Yeah, that's how I viewed it as well, rather than a festival as such. It was a series of gigs at Piece Hall with different headliners on each night. New Order did one last week as well.

I'm sure they had an intro video on the screen behind them that they didn't have at Victorious, plus some new merchandise that also wasn't on sale at Portsmouth, so I'd say this was more of an indication for the tour tbh.

Although I do hope they bring back James' acoustic section, which has been missing so far. I'd rather listen to that than cover versions.

Having said that, I enjoyed this a lot more than Victorious and the band seemed way more up for it (unsurprisingly, seen as they were last-minute replacements at Victorious). Plus the venue is a great space for a gig and the rain that was forecast never really materialised bar a brief shower before the gates opened, so a good night all round!
Old 19-08-2023, 10:14
Bored of being bored

Nice little article on the Piece Hall on the BBC website today (although no mention of the Manics gig):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66258449