Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-08-2021, 15:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

As ever, I don't mind with the fucked-with tracklists if they're only on the deluxe editions and the original versions remain in-print. It's not like many people buying a 3CD version won't have an original copy lying around. As long as they don't do something like Mike Oldfield, whose first three albums are now only print as modern remixed versions (see also the Stooges' Raw Power for quite a few years), then it's fine. Deluxe versions are always fanwank, why not go all the way?
It's not clear at exactly what point the two albums concept was reduced to a single album, but I'd quite like to see all the tracks and b-sides split over what their original respective albums were. With a third disc of demos and remixes.
Old 22-08-2021, 16:50
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Didnt the beasty boys organise those tibetan freedom concerts? That would add up with it being sarcastic.
It was a sarcastic swipe at the fact that they had gone a bit too far up their own arses with the Buddist preaching but it's hardly offensive.

Fully agree on the tracklist. I've said it before (most likely in this thread) but KYE is the one album where they have total licence to mess about as much as possible. Its an absolute mess of an album anyway (and all the better for it) so it's hardly drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa is it ?

Last edited by Glyn; 22-08-2021 at 16:54.
Old 22-08-2021, 16:52
I live to fall asleep

Just want the THB/EMG reissue with the double LP, CDs, nice booklet, nice artwork, and maybe some cool (unseen) photos from the time. Some demos would be cool if they did any. Also a remastered Reading would be much better than the likely remastered Cuba gig.
Old 22-08-2021, 18:33
I live to fall asleep

Thinking about it, this could be a huge box set if they pull out all the stops. The album is 16 tracks, put on all the b-sides and demos, perhaps the Cuba gig as a live CD, maybe do a DVD with a big documentary like they did for for EMG and GT box sets, and lots of cool write ups and photos from the time. Could be really something!
Old 22-08-2021, 18:57
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I wasn't implying anything when I mentioned a dead Beastie Boy. I was just trying to guess what the problem was!

It should be the Mother of all Manics boxes. So hopefully it's still being worked on...
Old 22-08-2021, 21:19
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I wasn't implying anything when I mentioned a dead Beastie Boy. I was just trying to guess what the problem was!
I know you were not implying anything, im just trying to figure it out too haha.
Old 22-08-2021, 21:43
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I know you were not implying anything, im just trying to figure it out too haha.
Hopefully the box will be out by the time an orbit of the sun has been completed, and we can finally find out what they meant.
Old 22-08-2021, 23:45
Winterlover

Of course, it does make sense the beastie boys lyric would kinda be a sarky dig at their holier than thou-ness with those free tibet concerts which i don't think i was aware of and fits with the theme of the track. But still, what's the problem with the line? Roi, you've opened up a can of worms here...
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 23-08-2021, 02:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Just want the THB/EMG reissue with the double LP, CDs, nice booklet, nice artwork, and maybe some cool (unseen) photos from the time. Some demos would be cool if they did any. Also a remastered Reading would be much better than the likely remastered Cuba gig.

I think that's possibly what the reissue will include, as some of the other albums have.

I hope they include more though and perhaps re do a few videos, Found That Soul possibly with owls and more crowded beaches for SWSS. I hope the booklet includes art, photos and unseen lyrics too.
Old 23-08-2021, 09:26
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I think that's possibly what the reissue will include, as some of the other albums have.

I hope they include more though and perhaps re do a few videos, Found That Soul possibly with owls and more crowded beaches for SWSS. I hope the booklet includes art, photos and unseen lyrics too.
I hope so. I bought and love the THB and EMG ones but I would happily pay double for similarly presented KYE and Lifeblood ones.
Old 23-08-2021, 09:45
Doors slowly closing

As fans we will always have better anniversary editions in our heads than they end up producing, but hopefully it’ll be decent.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 23-08-2021, 10:24
Desire on its knees

For years I've always heard it as a slight against the Beasties and the (probably unwarranted, in hindsight) "holier than thou" image they had around the turn of the millennium, mentioned above.

But reading the complete couplet back now (Little boys with dangerous toys / All bow down to the Beastie Boys), could it not be pointing out the irony of immature, gun toting Americans worshipping such an explicitly pacifist and conscientious set of individuals?
Old 23-08-2021, 10:41
Bored of being bored

The entire verse feels like a dig at the Beastie Boys

"We love to kiss the Dalai Lama's ass/Because he is such a holy man"

Wire was vocal about them in interviews, too. Pretty sure he weighed in on the fartstorm when the Beastie Boys once asked the Prodigy not to play "Smack My Bitch Up" at a festival they were both playing.
Old 23-08-2021, 11:59
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
For years I've always heard it as a slight against the Beasties and the (probably unwarranted, in hindsight) "holier than thou" image they had around the turn of the millennium, mentioned above.

But reading the complete couplet back now (Little boys with dangerous toys / All bow down to the Beastie Boys), could it not be pointing out the irony of immature, gun toting Americans worshipping such an explicitly pacifist and conscientious set of individuals?
I guess its about the beastie boys holier than thou attitude being a symptom of the holier than thou attitude of America at large when it comes to its dealings with other countries.
Old 23-08-2021, 13:56
Doors slowly closing

I suspect it’ll take the form of the TIMT/GATS reissues - a randomly sized book thing with some CDs and a separate vinyl. No videos But maybe a Youtube film
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)