Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-09-2010, 09:56
I live to fall asleep

FMJ

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-eh View Post
FMJ
Happens to the best of us. Just DMC it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12
Doors slowly closing

"IDGWIATB...using abbreviations"

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15
Knowlede Is Power

I agree completely. Annoys the fuck out of my when I have to try and decipher some (occasionally mistyped) acronym. It's so much easier to type and to read "Tolerate" rather than "IYTTYCWBN".

There's a reason for writing song titles in acronyms, you know. I believe it falls under one of the numerous communicative psychology theories, and is basically the idea that by speaking in code, outsiders can be kept out. You can see the same sort of exclusive code-speak everywhere. Check out txtspeak as it's used on Bebo. Someone's 50 year old mum is going to have a hella difficult time working that out. Same with local slang, dialect and accent. It's kinda similar to when you were a kid, and you were still getting acquainted with the language. How many times at school did some kid discover a new word, and use it repeatedly within the context of "Do you know what 'snog' means? No? Haha, virgin lips!"? I'll bet everyone had a kid like that in their year.

In short, acronyms aren't a convenience, they're a deliberately exclusive language. Do you speak to a tourist or an immigrant the way you would speak to someone you grew up with? 'Course not. So, on this Manics-loving (Proevpete aside, natch) community, should we encourage n00bs with inclusive language, or confuse and repel them with exclusive?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20
I live to fall asleep

I don't think it's a two sided thing this. Acronyms such as EMG, THB, KYE, SATT which are short and will come up extremely often being album titles, are certainly easy enough to work out and useful for everyone.

Using an acronym such as BOTBN or DMLDD, which I bet even some long term users have to think twice about, is counter productive.

Then again I don't let little things like this annoy me.

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
In short,
I see what you've done there. And I like it.

Seriously, I think you make an interesting point, but more often than not I think it's probably more about simple laziness than a psychological proclivity for exclusivity.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 07-09-2010, 10:27
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
ROFL? IYTTYCWBN, I agree they should stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
TLA FTW?
Quote:
TMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
DMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
AOGTFO
Quote:
VCR!
Quote:
FMJ
AWGTHGTTA?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
AWGTHGTTA?
4REAL

I don't think we do it to be exclusive though I think there is an element of competiveness in who can most quickly work out an acronym.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
4REAL

I don't think we do it to be exclusive though I think there is an element of competiveness in who can most quickly work out an acronym.
Sadly enough I think there's a vague amount of truth in this.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:50
Builder of routine

I think some abbreviations are funny and some are pointless, especially most of those that are more than 4 letters long (with exception for YLAINE), I even don't shorten TIMTTMY, I simply write TIMT.
the worst is MASH, because you never know if it's Me And Stephen Hawking or Theme From M.A.S.H.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I don't think it's a two sided thing this. Acronyms such as EMG, THB, KYE, SATT which are short and will come up extremely often being album titles, are certainly easy enough to work out and useful for everyone.
you do appreciate that the only acronym there is SATT, don't you? unless you can tell me how to pronounce the words EMG and KYE, as well as explaining the definition of the word KYE.....
blog
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59
Builder of routine

SIS and SSI are confusing as well.

BBB
Old 07-09-2010, 11:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
you do appreciate that the only acronym there is SATT, don't you? unless you can tell me how to pronounce the words EMG and KYE, as well as explaining the definition of the word KYE.....
'Em-Guh': 'to sound a bit like a Phil Spector production'

KYE, like 'sky'; 'to fail to edit something down to a reasonable quantity' (esp. in commercial music releases).

But YMMV.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
I'M SO SORRY I USED THE WRONG WORD!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
I'M SO SORRY I USED THE WRONG WORD!
Well I'm disappointed.