Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-04-2015, 19:00
Born to end

Looking back at their 2010 US tour setlists, it seems they only played 20-21 songs a night. We got 20 last night. The Holy Bible sounded incredible - there was a real energy in the room. Small Black Flowers was a real treat - it sounded incredible. And then they came back and played a few hits and ended, as always, with ADFL. They didn't stick around to meet fans this time unlike the 2010 tour, but that is what it is...most bands don't, so I don't really care.

It was really just awesome seeing them live again, and hearing that album in full was an experience I'll never forget. I didn't buy any merch because I was frankly shocked at how much they were selling it for - 35 bucks for a t-shirt?! But for those that did, they definitely had some cool shirts and posters/etc. I wish I could get to another show, but that's not gonna happen this time. Hopefully it won't be another 5 years before they come back!
Old 21-04-2015, 19:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Knowing that they lose money or at best break even on their US tours, I'll most like buy some merch, maybe just a shirt.
Old 21-04-2015, 19:51
I live to fall asleep

And no additional musicians, which might explain the small second setlist ..

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 21-04-2015, 20:27

(watch me as I crawl slowly out of hibernation for the US tour)

If I remember correctly, the outrageously priced t-shirt I got at their O2 show was pushing $50 USD. So I'm actually excited to know that it's only $35 this time.
Old 22-04-2015, 01:08

What time was the show over? We have tickets to see the Toronto show and have to get a bus home.

Old 22-04-2015, 01:29
Born to end

The show was amazing. I'd seen them play once before, in Philly in '09, but it still felt almost surreal to see them walk out on stage at a venue I'd been to many times and know well. In a way, I imagine everyone in the crowd having their own versions of this reaction, or so it seemed with the people around me at least. The crowd was great. I *almost* wish I had taken a spot on the upstairs balcony, just to take it all in.

I was a bit bummed that the second set was a little shorter than I anticipated; I would have loved even just one more song from Futurology. But this didn't dampen the experience one bit. The band was awesome, and in fine form, and it felt like a treat to see them run through the non-HB stuff just as a 3-piece. And I have no complaints about the song selection (though as someone who rarely has a chance to see them, I'd probably be delighted by a set consisting of 10 Autumn Songs). It wasn't quite the same energy that I felt in the room the first time I saw them, but it was close. I thought YSTTS same off really well. A fun one to bounce around to. It was a bit deflating hearing YLU so soon into the set, however, knowing that ADFL and the band's departure from stage were likely to follow.

The Holy Bible was incredible; an intense performance augmented by all the energy in the crowd. Beyond this, the highlight for me was seeing "Walk Me to the Bridge," with many people bouncing around and shouting along. A "new" Manics song, played live in my own town? Just spectacular. And nice to see something new get such a reaction here.
Old 22-04-2015, 01:32
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I was hoping that the post-Bible set would consist of a few more songs. Only seven songs seems a bit truncated, no?
I'm probably wrong, but I wondered if this may have been a result of the issues with the crew not getting into the country, having to scramble at the last minute, etc. It will be interesting to see if the next shows stay the same, or if they get a song or two more. I won't be able to make any of them, but I do hope that those crowds get an extra Futurology track or rarity or two.
Old 22-04-2015, 01:44
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdaniels View Post
I didn't buy any merch because I was frankly shocked at how much they were selling it for - 35 bucks for a t-shirt?! But for those that did, they definitely had some cool shirts and posters/etc. I wish I could get to another show, but that's not gonna happen this time. Hopefully it won't be another 5 years before they come back!
I know that the practice is fairly common, but the 9:30 traditionally takes a (fairly steep, I think) cut on merch. I recall a band's roadie once (years ago) saying that they came in with $25 shirts, but the club's cut necessitated a higher price, so they were selling for $35. I also remember Anti-Flag selling their shirts out of their van after a show there to get around this.
Old 22-04-2015, 01:46
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara cathau View Post
What time was the show over? We have tickets to see the Toronto show and have to get a bus home.
I can't recall exactly. Around 11:15, I think.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking Chair View Post
I know that the practice is fairly common, but the 9:30 traditionally takes a (fairly steep, I think) cut on merch. I recall a band's roadie once (years ago) saying that they came in with $25 shirts, but the club's cut necessitated a higher price, so they were selling for $35. I also remember Anti-Flag selling their shirts out of their van after a show there to get around this.
Nirvana did the same thing when they played the old 930 Club in 1990 actually so apparently it's been going on for a while haha Though in fairness I'm pretty sure it was a club employee selling their merch last night so in that case a bit of a cut is justified IMO.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara cathau View Post
Almost 11 o'clock exactly, they started at 9:30 so it was a 90 minute set with no break (save James's acoustic number post-THB performance which allowed Nicky and Sean to go offstage for one song).
Old 22-04-2015, 02:08
Born to end

True, but I think the club requires that they sell the stuff. If I remember correctly.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:11

Quote:
True, but I think the club requires that they sell the stuff. If I remember correctly.
Yeah I don't know enough to say for certain but I would assume if a band has a merch person with them on the road that they would be doing the selling; however that doesn't mean that the club wouldn't be taking a pre and post show inventory of what they started out with and what they ended up with in order to calculate a cut of the profits.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:45

Quote:
I can't recall exactly. Around 11:15, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Almost 11 o'clock exactly, they started at 9:30 so it was a 90 minute set with no break (save James's acoustic number post-THB performance which allowed Nicky and Sean to go offstage for one song).
Thanks. We have a small window of opportunity to catch it and we don't want to leave before the last song. We should (fingers crossed) be able to make it, even if it doesn't end until 11:15. We'll see!

Old 22-04-2015, 03:22
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Yeah I don't know enough to say for certain but I would assume if a band has a merch person with them on the road that they would be doing the selling; however that doesn't mean that the club wouldn't be taking a pre and post show inventory of what they started out with and what they ended up with in order to calculate a cut of the profits.
That sounds about right. I don't go there as much as I used to. I feel like I see 9:30 folks more than not, but I do now recall a couple other instances of a person with the band selling stuff. I did manage to drop $35 on a shirt. The blue one. Wasn't too keen on the other designs, but I like that the featured the American tour dates.