Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-10-2014, 21:01
I live to fall asleep

As someone already said before Satt is more enjoyable musically and Postcard lyrically but I can't really say that one is better than the other. I hardly listen to both of them tbh.
Old 30-10-2014, 09:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

I almost feel like a lone voice writing this, there are some supporters of course as I've read on this thread, I would add my name to the list of those who love PFAYM, and while I don't feel SATT is quite the same standard, as an album I really enjoy it.

SATT has some very big hitters, 'Winterlovers' for instance, but also tracks that don't quite reach the potential they could have had; lyrically it's not the best they've ever done also.

PFAYM however I loved on release, and still do. It and it's 15 mighty B-Sides are currently two of my most played albums on the ol' ipod. Postcards simply has glorious melodies, the 11 tracks on the album plus 15 B's; 26 tracks I honestly really enjoy listening to, even now 4 years later.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:28
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
It followed (the mighty) Journal For Plague Lovers. It may have been doomed from the start a little bit, but it is pretty shit regardless of when it was released.
I feel sorry for it, it was following the sublime. Kinda how Bono should've felt when The Velvet Underground supported U2. I should've felt, the bastard probably thought U2 were a better band.

I feel sorry for Postcards, I'm sticking it on.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:42
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
SATT had way more love when it came out, I thought.
Did it? How things change then, not seen much but dissing for it since I've been on here until this thread.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:46
Winterlover

It was exciting at the time, I still have great memories of the Tigers era. I even remember one daft sod I know claiming it was the best album of the century.
Old 30-10-2014, 13:26
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Both albums come from the " Boys, we really need to be relevant" barrell. No risks are taken, musically both albums are very pedestrian and devoid of any real wow factor. Sure, both albums have good songs but I rarely listen to them. I still detest ITWJTEOL and possibly always will.
Old 30-10-2014, 13:37
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I still detest ITWJTEOL and possibly always will.
I can't agree with this statement with any more enthusiasm. It's the most cynical single they've ever produced. Even those misplaced brackets send me into a fit. Whenever I hear it live, I just die a bit inside every time.
Old 30-10-2014, 13:45
Doors slowly closing

Neither are anything worth going into in great detail, but Send Away The Tigers is a much better structured album that has a decent flow to it.

It's summed up in the title tracks. Send Away The Tigers is the best track on that album, while Postcards the song is one of my least favourite singles or songs. It's the sound of a band with absolutely no inspiration and musicially they sound like they're in terminal decline. Thankfully that wasn't the case as they came good again with later albums.
Old 30-10-2014, 14:25
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Both albums come from the " Boys, we really need to be relevant" barrell. No risks are taken, musically both albums are very pedestrian and devoid of any real wow factor. Sure, both albums have good songs but I rarely listen to them. I still detest ITWJTEOL and possibly always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I can't agree with this statement with any more enthusiasm. It's the most cynical single they've ever produced. Even those misplaced brackets send me into a fit. Whenever I hear it live, I just die a bit inside every time.
Any excuse to wheel this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ynMcXD8jk
Old 30-10-2014, 15:23
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
It was exciting at the time, I still have great memories of the Tigers era. I even remember one daft sod I know claiming it was the best album of the century.
I had to, I was drunk.
Old 30-10-2014, 20:27
An imitation of dignity

Prefer Postcards (currently ranked 6th in my list) to Tigers (9th) although they definitely come from the same "version" of the band - the one that wants to write catchy pop rock and sell some records. I have no problem with this and therefore embrace it. Intrinsically I don't think they're that different. Both have some great stuff (YLAINE, Golden Platitudes, Auto-intoxication) and some dross (Autumnsong, last descent) but I always find that I never instinctively reach for SATT whereas I often reach for Postcards.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:07
Winterlover

The thing with the SATT era, was that it seemed like a direct attempt to just have fun making music again, and for the most part there was a good feel to everything they did. I have to say I enjoyed the Manchester Apollo show of 2007 as much as I have any other I've seen them do. That probably glossed over the shortcomings of the album, it was just fun.

PFAYM, I can only listen to the singles; and live there was a distinctly deflated feel to the gigs, as well as the overall campaign. It was almost apologetic, rather than a proud presentation of the new album. It was supposed to be one last shot at mass communication or whatever, but it seemed firmly rooted in Radio 2 comfortable easi-rock territory.

At least 6 of the tracks are very good quality, and while SATT is far from their finest hour, at least 6 of the tracks are very good quality; so it would be SATT for me every time.
Old 31-10-2014, 14:34

SATT had a few good songs, although overall it was incredibly weak. The b-sides, however, were brilliant. Postcards is, in my opinion, an excellent album, and the b-sides were also fantastic. So for me, I would say Postcards wins hands down.
Old 31-10-2014, 23:58

I really liked both albums on release and still go back to them, particularly in the summer. I have always found them to be good driving records and would rate both around the 7/10 mark.

I think SATT is probably a stronger set of songs, but Postcards works better as an album. I've always felt that SATT loses it's way a bit having Indian Summer and The Second Great Depression together in the middle of the album and there is just something missing after that, though I do like the rest of the songs.

The only real issue I have with Postcards is the previously mentioned overblown nature of it. I feel it could have done with a more 'raw' sound, but again I still like the songs on there (except The Descent!!).
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19
Under neon loneliness

SATT is the only Manics album that I've not listened to at all in the last couple of years. In fact, I don't know where the CD is, and I can't be bothered to put the LP on. I've probably listened to it about a dozen times. I don't hate it, I think it's a decent rock album that translates well to live shows. On the other hand, I love the SATT B sides, and listen to them a lot.

I don't think the Manics have put a foot wrong since then though, the last four studio albums have all been brilliant. So yes, I much prefer Postcards to SATT.