Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 21:44
Freed from the century

Manics Gear for sale

It looks like more of James and Nicky's guitars are being regularly sold at this website:

https://www.themusicdeli.com/product...reachers-copy/

Amazed to see the 3 pickup white LP sold!!

Also, on a slightly different note: Does anyone know what pickups JDB had in his main LP from 2006 - 2012, and what the new ones he put in for the This Is My Truth Anniversary tour are?

JDB = legend
Old 10-05-2021, 07:59
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzer View Post
Also, on a slightly different note: Does anyone know what pickups JDB had in his main LP from 2006 - 2012, and what the new ones he put in for the This Is My Truth Anniversary tour are?
According to this Guitarist interview from before Futurology...

"It’s had four pickup changes, and new this year are great humbuckers by Cardiff’s own Shed Pickups."

And then this Guitarist interview from just before RIF he says...

"The pickups have been replaced, but I can’t remember what they are."

Which is really unhelpful.

At one point he had a piezo pick up in the bridge to play Tolerate. I can't find the original interview but can find lots of people referencing it. I kinda remember at the time him not saying what it was exactly as it was secret/special/he probably didn't know.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:23
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzer View Post
It looks like more of James and Nicky's guitars are being regularly sold at this website:

https://www.themusicdeli.com/product...reachers-copy/

Amazed to see the 3 pickup white LP sold!!

The 2006-2012 ones, I'm told were Gibson's 500T and 406R ceramic set.

You know that Honeyburst LP classic that he started using in 2003-ish around the release of Lipstick Traces, and saw sporadic use by James and Wayne beyond that? Turns out James liked those pickups in that so much he had a set of them put in his main white LP when it came back out for the SATT tours.

For years, including on this forum people were saying they were Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros (same as Slash uses).

From Futurology up to the RIF tour, he had a set of Shed "Hot Bastardos" - I know because I tried ordering a set and they never came. £200 quid down the drain there. Shed then seemingly vanished off the face of the earth. I'm not the only one who never got pickups out of him, going by interactions I had on guitar forums.

Don't know what he has in there now, if he's gone back to the Gibson ones or they're something else.

For his main LP sound it seems like he favours hot pickups. The Shed ones were 15K and 8K, and the Gibsons are a hot set.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:05
Freed from the century

That is excellent info. Thanks for that.

So annoying about losing the £200 / not getting the pickups.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:13
Bored of being bored

As I say, there were a few. His pickups were raved about by people who knew of him, and as soon as James mentioned Shed in the Guitarist article, I looked him up right away, and ordered a set.

Partly my fault as he was taking a while, but I'd try chasing him up and he'd fob me off with having to get new parts etc and I believed him. Then emails would result in his "out of office" auto-reply, and then his website vanished.

So I accepted that money was gone, and got some Bare Knuckle pickups, having had tremendous experience with them in the past. Got a set of Emeralds and it got me closer than I'd ever got to what I'd been chasing.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:51
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice View Post
As I say, there were a few. His pickups were raved about by people who knew of him, and as soon as James mentioned Shed in the Guitarist article, I looked him up right away, and ordered a set.

Partly my fault as he was taking a while, but I'd try chasing him up and he'd fob me off with having to get new parts etc and I believed him. Then emails would result in his "out of office" auto-reply, and then his website vanished.

So I accepted that money was gone, and got some Bare Knuckle pickups, having had tremendous experience with them in the past. Got a set of Emeralds and it got me closer than I'd ever got to what I'd been chasing.
Did you buy with a credit card? It may still be possible to get a refund via your bank's chargeback scheme.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:14
Bored of being bored

PayPal.

This was years ago, and by the time I wanted to persue a refund, it was well after the usual time period for PayPal, and he was totally gone. Website gone, not answering emails
Old 10-05-2021, 18:49
Bored of being bored

How can he sell the white Les Paul? It's just iconic!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:55
Freed from the century

It wasn't the white Les Paul, just a white Les Paul. Pretty sure he'd never ever sell 'faithful'. That should end up in a museum one day.
Old 13-05-2021, 10:13
Bored of being bored

Yeah, it's the 3-pickup one he got around PFAYM, was also the main live LP for the RTF tour and some Futurology festival gigs (Sziget 2014 springs to mind).

He's never parting with Faithful. It might get retired from live use some day, but it's him.

I'd be VERY interested if the Lifeblood/PPF-era White Standard came up for sale though...