Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-10-2009, 17:39
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicben View Post
My friend Ailsa just text me, she has posted on here before (Xarrr) and has been to 3 or 4 gigs with me, the text said she seems to think she has spotted Will in one of the photos and she has cut the article out for me, ha ha.
Two in fact, also spottable Harrijack, Mrs Carbohydrate, Big Ferret, Shinysparkly, and Kriegspiel can be spotted...though its the one from their website so probably already have. The NYC barrier one is much bigger though
Old 30-10-2009, 18:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Two in fact, also spottable Harrijack, Mrs Carbohydrate, Big Ferret, Shinysparkly, and Kriegspiel can be spotted...though its the one from their website so probably already have. The NYC barrier one is much bigger though
Gonna have to go out to Tesco to buy it now!
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 30-10-2009, 19:24
Bored out of my mind

Yes please Mr John Niven! Please do a new Manics biography! Cheers! Haven't read all the article through yet but looks good!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-10-2009, 19:30
Builder of routine

fantastic article!

but I'm pretty sure Richey didn't vanish on the eve of the tour with the band, I mean I understood from that John Niven wrote they were tend to tour like Joy Division, wasn't it only the promo tour for newspapers etc?

can someone post the pictures that appeared in the paper?
Old 30-10-2009, 19:51
Builder of routine

Lovely lovely article, bought the paper today and I've read it about 5 times. Niven is an exquisite writer.
Old 30-10-2009, 20:03
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
fantastic article!

but I'm pretty sure Richey didn't vanish on the eve of the tour with the band, I mean I understood from that John Niven wrote they were tend to tour like Joy Division, wasn't it only the promo tour for newspapers etc?

can someone post the pictures that appeared in the paper?
It technically was the eve of the US tour in '95...James and Richey were going ahead of the other two for some pre-tour promotions. At least that's my understanding. However, to be honest, I don't remember tix going on sale around that time for this proposed tour. It was a long time ago so I may well be wrong about that.

On a slightly related topic, I think THB would have been successful in the States had it been released and promoted at that time. Actually, I have very little doubts it would have gone over very well there...not a commercial blockbuster, but it would have garnered them quite a following.
Old 30-10-2009, 21:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
It technically was the eve of the US tour in '95...James and Richey were going ahead of the other two for some pre-tour promotions. At least that's my understanding. However, to be honest, I don't remember tix going on sale around that time for this proposed tour. It was a long time ago so I may well be wrong about that.

On a slightly related topic, I think THB would have been successful in the States had it been released and promoted at that time. Actually, I have very little doubts it would have gone over very well there...not a commercial blockbuster, but it would have garnered them quite a following.
you might be right. if you check the manicspedia there are few US dates in February and March. I go the wrong path too often

you think so about THB? well the Canadian mix of THB was absolutely stunning, no-one would argue with that, but I'm not sure whether America could stand so much criticism from the European band. they often don't like their own bands saying true (in general, no offence!) like John Niven noticed, the Atlantic Ocean is sometimes too enormous barrier for Europe.
Old 30-10-2009, 23:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Really good article - you know it's a good piece when you find yourself thinking, I wish it was longer.
Well said .. I couldnt agree with that sentiment more. The well written style and content, made me feel really disappointed when the scroll bar yielded only adverts and blurb ... I wanted more anecdotes and the such...

The talk of this recent tour and its lore (that I think IMHO) it will now establish in Manics history ("the 1st successful tour of the US in the bands history" or such), still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

I actually really quite like the "proposed" working title ...

Great read .. I enjoyed this. Well said (who ever it was) about the NME ... there's lessons in this article you poor excuse of music journalism
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18

Last edited by ooberfan; 31-10-2009 at 01:27.
Old 30-10-2009, 23:41
Bored of being bored

haha - love it! Niven is a legend!
And SEAN actually said stuff! YAY!

*sparkle and believe*
Old 30-10-2009, 23:53
Freed from the century

John Niven is so good at writing about the Manics, this article is lovely!
I don't know what to think about "It's Not War - Just The End Of Love", it's not that bad, a bit cheesy maybe.
It can't be worse than TIMTTMY anyway.
And remember JFPL was supposed to be called "I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing" (I love that quote but it would have been a terrible title for the album), so anything can happen. You know the Wire...
Old 31-10-2009, 00:02
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
My money's on a commerical KYE with JFPL lengthed songs.
Be able to get 20 new tracks or near enough then?
They start recording in November as we know, so throughout that month and until the next year I think we should try and tune into their ESP facilities and just wish
"Fucking A! Bring it on! You can do this!" to them until further notice?

The title fits in with KYE more than their other album titles? And given Nicky's claim guitar bands are dead and his love for Lady Gaga...

It's not my turn to hate the album the minute it gets leaked this time!
Old 31-10-2009, 00:02
Stretched out in the sun

I hated/hate the title for JFPL but I love that album to bits, however I will re-use this again:

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 31-10-2009, 00:11
Winterlover

Aaron, my money's on SATT part 2.
KYE was a commercial flop for them as was LB. They'll stick to what brought them the most success in the last 10 years and you can bet your ass it will have big guitars on it!
Old 31-10-2009, 00:15
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Aaron, my money's on SATT part 2.
...STOP SAYING THESE AWFUL THINGS! *cries*

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 31-10-2009, 00:38
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I hated/hate the title for JFPL but I love that album to bits, however I will re-use this again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
...STOP SAYING THESE AWFUL THINGS! *cries*
Haha! x2