Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the Manics do an EMG20 tour???
Yes 128 84.21%
No 24 15.79%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-02-2015, 07:35
I live to fall asleep

I really really hope not x 1000000000.

A few tunes in any gigs in 2016 is enough.

EMG is so overrated. The production is awful. So loud and hard to listen to.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
The production is awful.
Is that right, Sir George Martin???
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 21-02-2015, 09:07
Winterlover

It is the album that introduced me to the Manics, and I do love it. If it happened, I would go.
Old 21-02-2015, 09:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
It is the album that introduced me to the Manics, and I do love it. If it happened, I would go.
Likewise, I remember my girlfriend at the time buying it for my birthday as we caught a train, and fell in love with it on the first listen as we travelled up to Yorkshire. With all the Britpop stuff around at the time (which I loved) it was refreshing to hear something with a bit more 'edge'.

As for the production, in my mind, it's spot on. Although, it could really do with being remastered.
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 21-02-2015, 10:21
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
It was the first album newly released when I got into them. THB20 made sense to me to see it live as I missed the chance to see it originally.
I think they could only play THB and EMG in full from their 20th Century albums. TIMTTMY would need another set of instrumentalists.
It's all about KYE20 anyway!
I am liking the combination of DJ, first set as a three piece, break, second set as a full band and hope this gets kept on as it pisses all over having support bands. (Eargulls would have appreciated this move on the tour before last)
I hope they keep the format they've got now, but instead of full albums, maybe play some stuff from the first 6 albums as a three piece?
Eventually it'll get to the point where they don't need costume changes and the break between the two sets gets shorter and shorter.
If they are going to do any activity this year, first and foremost it should be a new album.
I'm expecting them to take a break this year, but wouldn't be surprised if a few one off EMG20 shows.
And I find it cute and endearing how their main reason for playing EMG was they had nothing better to do!

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 21-02-2015 at 22:32. Reason: "This","THIS" you idiot! You're not in 2014 any more. We had Christmas? Don't you remember?
Old 21-02-2015, 10:47
Doors slowly closing

I wish I could have gone to a THB20 gig, but I would honestly prefer to see them play Everything Must Go (the album of course, pedants! ) in full (and that era's B-sides if I'm just fantasising) than even that. Ideally with a proper live string section where appropriate.

It's still my favourite album, and probably always be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I really really hope not x 1000000000.

A few tunes in any gigs in 2016 is enough.

EMG is so overrated. The production is awful. So loud and hard to listen to.
I can understand some people not rating it as highly - I think the production is quite 'marmite', so while I totally disagree with you, I can respect your opinion.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 21-02-2015, 10:52
Knowlede Is Power

KYE20 would be wonderful, but I don't know if it would attract a good numbers and in the end, that's what it's all about unfortunately. Saying that, I was still shitting myself and eating crayons and bawling while teething when it was released. I mustn't have gotten the memo.

Maybe some intimate gigs for less monumental albums would be nice - either way, I'm sure a shitload of us would all pledge to attend. If I were the Manics (which I am not, unfortunately), I'd be racking up as much cash as possible for later in life, doing what I love.

We should have a thread dedicated to discussing anniversary shows!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkie308 View Post
This thread already goes to show why EMG20 would be a great idea. I don't think that there are many of us who would pick the same top 3 albums, so while THB20 was important to many of you, there are many of us that don't hold it in the same light.
Exactly!!! I hope someone from management or SJM (I think that's their tour promoters isn't it??) or the boys see this thread (ARE YOU THERE, WIRE?)

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)

Last edited by gracie; 21-02-2015 at 10:57. Reason: to add a direct plea to the boys :D D
Old 21-02-2015, 10:56
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
As for this laughable 'museum band' comment, with a band that has a rich 25 year history, it's inevitable that they will stop and take stock once in a while. They deserve it.
It's laughable because it's the term James used to explain the band's hesitation for doing Holy Bible gigs. And now there's a US tour and probably a European tour on the books and probably an EMG mini tour next year. From a fan point of view I'm happy of course, but the band are really eating their own words at this point.

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 21-02-2015 at 11:01.
Old 21-02-2015, 10:58
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Is that right, Sir George Martin???
Oh no! Someone disagrees with you! The horror! The horror!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 21-02-2015, 11:00
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It's laughable because it's the term James used for hesitation for doing Holy Bible gigs. And now there's a US tour and probably a European tour on the books and probably an EMG mini tour next year. From a fan point of view I'm happy of course, but are really eating their own words at this point.
Maybe Bradders is turning into Wire. I knew he was partial to eating his words. cough michael stipe....cough glastonbury....

(don't be shy)
Old 21-02-2015, 11:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I can understand some people not rating it as highly - I think the production is quite 'marmite', so while I totally disagree with you, I can respect your opinion.
I just mean in terms of loudness. It's fucking loud.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:13
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
It's all about KYE20 anyway!
Nail on head.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:24
Knowlede Is Power

Rude.

Although I have to agree partially, I love KYE and I don't know why so many people piss on it. It's good.

(don't be shy)
Old 21-02-2015, 11:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It's laughable because it's the term James used to explain the band's hesitation for doing Holy Bible gigs. And now there's a US tour and probably a European tour on the books and probably an EMG mini tour next year. From a fan point of view I'm happy of course, but the band are really eating their own words at this point.
If you say so. Of course there's not actually been a single mention of an EMG tour by anyone yet.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:44
Bored of being bored

I've previously said that a week of gigs like this would be amazing: 2 albums a night (maybe ones that link together nicely, THB/JFPL, TIMT/RTF, Lifeblood/Futurology, GT/GATS, PFAYM/SATT (so I can skip that one, haha), then EMG and KYE, as they're the 2 left over!) Then a nice night of b-sides!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.