Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-12-2009, 18:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
yeah who the hell got hold of the 1985-1989 Demos????

Must have been risky if it was pinched, or lucky if found in a skip!
It Richey. Before he disappeared he wanted to do something for the fandom. He wanted us to hear that just about everything song they did before was essentially a crap version of stay beautful.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:43
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by adore failure View Post
it was recorded as demo in the January 1995 sessions, so maybe they used different equipment? Not sure though!
Now that's a point, it sounds like the same snare as on the No Surface All Feeling demo.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:46
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by adore failure View Post
it was recorded as demo in the January 1995 sessions, so maybe they used different equipment? Not sure though!
Seeing as they trashed all their equipment the previous month this is more than likely.
Old 29-12-2009, 23:43
Born to end

Always thought the vocals were too formed to be '94
Old 30-12-2009, 06:04
Doors slowly closing

i just hope that if they ever do an actual, proper Dredd film that they remember this song and try and get it on the soundtrack. even if it is a Sean "rave snare drum dub" mix of it.
blog
Old 30-12-2009, 07:15
Bored out of my mind

There always seemed to be a bit of confusion about Skinheads as well but to me the vocals at least definitely sound like a later recording. (James' 'fat' voice Kirb! Tsk!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-12-2009, 09:48
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
(James' 'fat' voice Kirb! Tsk!)
Hey, don't knock it, some people wouldn't have a career without their fat voices!

Give us piiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

Is that a pie?

I look like a pie.

In case you've forgotten, my name is Aretha Franklin and, yes, I like pie.

I mean, listen to James when he was skinny in the early days of the band. Suicide Alley? Spectators of Suicide? Even Motorcycle Emptiness? All in need of more pie.
Old 30-12-2009, 21:37
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
i just hope that if they ever do an actual, proper Dredd film that they remember this song and try and get it on the soundtrack. even if it is a Sean "rave snare drum dub" mix of it.
I'd hope that with it being a UK comic and, Rebellion, being a UK-based company, would be more likely to have Manics fans that would remember to sanction such a thing, than if they were based in any other country, and that the comic.

The solo in Judge Yr'self really does seem to fit a Judge Dredd moment for me.
Old 30-12-2009, 22:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
I'd hope that with it being a UK comic and, Rebellion, being a UK-based company, would be more likely to have Manics fans that would remember to sanction such a thing, than if they were based in any other country, and that the comic.

The solo in Judge Yr'self really does seem to fit a Judge Dredd moment for me.
They should have released a Ltd Edn EP of Judge Yr'Self, with art work, just a physical release of IT would have been even grander then Lipstick Traces.
Old 30-12-2009, 22:56
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon

Yeah, I couldn't agree more with you on that one Dext! I've often wondered why they didn't tbh.
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.
Old 31-12-2009, 06:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide_Riot_Junk View Post
Yeah, I couldn't agree more with you on that one Dext! I've often wondered why they didn't tbh.
i seem to recall from the interviews at the time that they saw JY as "the last song" they did with Richey, irrespective of if it was or not. i think the idea was to put it out for the fans, but they had no wish to get heavily involved in promoting it, a bit like no singles from JFPL i suppose.
blog
Old 08-01-2010, 13:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
yeah who the hell got hold of the 1985-1989 Demos????

Must have been risky if it was pinched, or lucky if found in a skip!
Hahaha, are you deliberately being daft, they would have sent demo's into record companies as to get a record deal, so someone from damaged goods or heavenly would have maybe put them out, or maybe even fanzines or the NME were sent copies.

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
i seem to recall from the interviews at the time that they saw JY as "the last song" they did with Richey, irrespective of if it was or not. i think the idea was to put it out for the fans, but they had no wish to get heavily involved in promoting it, a bit like no singles from JFPL i suppose.
I imagine it comes from the first EMG session before richey left.

I'm pretty sure James stated in an interview that only the vocals were recorded but it's been so long I couldn't tell you which one. I also remember james saying he had no particular love for the song, i think they just recorded it for the fans.

Also, the album version of NSAF recorded the same way? Old music with re-recording vocals and an outro?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:51
Doors slowly closing

I'm pretty certain I read in an interview that James rerecorded the vocals for the verses but the chorus is as it was originally.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought In View Post
Also, the album version of NSAF recorded the same way? Old music with re-recording vocals and an outro?
Yep, the demo version on the EMG re-issue is musically exactly the same bar some production/overdub guitar on the chorus