Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-06-2013, 18:36
Winterlover

We need 3 hours gigs, that's it.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:37
Winterlover

AK47 You woke up Today and thought "I am going to make a polemic post to make people go crazy all over the thread"?
Old 18-06-2013, 18:38
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Ending with foreplay... well, they do say "Leave 'em wanting more"?
Na, it's kinda like you know, anti-climatic! It's like returning to the slightly boring part of foreplay (whichever that may be for you ).

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-06-2013, 18:40
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar View Post
AK47 You woke up Today and thought "I am going to make a polemic post to make people go crazy all over the thread"?
People love the opportunity to whinge about their setlists it's a Manics tradition!

But this is more constructive criticism. I don't think they should stop playing ADFL, Motown Junk, Motorcycle Emptiness, Faster etc because those are just classic songs which bear hearing as many times as the band feels like playing them. I actually feel similar about Your Love Alone Is Not Enough in an odd way, it's not up there with the others but it really holds up to repeat listens live. Something about that pre-chorus guitar drop and the way the vocals come back in... just great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
Na, it's kinda like you know, anti-climatic! It's like returning to the slightly boring part of foreplay (whichever that may be for you ).
The boring bit? I think you're doing it wrong but yeah I get what you're saying
Old 18-06-2013, 18:42
Builder of routine

Suicide Is Painless, so boring I want to cry, I swear they add another verse every time I see them.

PFAYM and SKON - Well-written songs but nothing spectacular live. Golden Platitudes should come back.

EMG - Only worth it for Sean's look of glee when he gets to do his drum bit in the chorus, dull otherwise.

Happy with everything else.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:42
I live to fall asleep

And of course they have to play Tolerate, but emphatically NOT as the last song, unless it's Barcelona. That should be a law. They can play it and I can gather my breath and study James's hands and bum and all is fine! Just don't finish with the thing!

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-06-2013, 18:43
Winterlover

Quote:
People love the opportunity to whinge about their setlists it's a Manics tradition!

But this is more constructive criticism. I don't think they should stop playing ADFL, Motown Junk, Motorcycle Emptiness, Faster etc because those are just classic songs which bear hearing as many times as the band feels like playing them. I actually feel similar about Your Love Alone Is Not Enough in an odd way, it's not up there with the others but it really holds up to repeat listens live. Something about that pre-chorus guitar drop and the way the vocals come back in... just great.
Yes, for me the "classics" are the base for any gig, then the new stuff.
And when they play something unexpected is even better, like Little Baby Nothing, Yes, etc.

Mmm... I think the songs to be dropped are the support band ones in most cases...
Old 18-06-2013, 18:45
Under neon loneliness

I think they could legitimately chuck in some more b-sides as well, many of them are no more obscure than the on-album rarities they've played over the last few tours. Imagine Sepia live! Or Comfort Comes! It's just a waste not to.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:48
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar View Post
Mmm... I think the songs to be dropped are the support band ones in most cases...
Agree wholeheartedly, especially as I had to endure The Fucking Minutes in Hamburg. They.Were.Shit.

I love the classics bit, especially as the band really seem to love these songs, I've yet to hear an insincere version of Motorcycle Emptiness. But they should go through their massive back catalogue more often and bring out little gems. Ant actually play at least four songs from the album they are supposedly touring.
Agree with Franny, Platitudes live was on fire!

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-06-2013, 18:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
I think they could legitimately chuck in some more b-sides as well, many of them are no more obscure than the on-album rarities they've played over the last few tours. Imagine Sepia live! Or Comfort Comes! It's just a waste not to.
Oh jeeyzus, Sepia live! I think I'd die of happiness!
Old 18-06-2013, 18:50
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Anorexic Rodin! Automatic Technicolour would also be EPIC! Don't get me dreaming...

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-06-2013, 18:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Agree wholeheartedly, especially as I had to endure The Fucking Minutes in Hamburg. They.Were.Shit.

I love the classics bit, especially as the band really seem to love these songs, I've yet to hear an insincere version of Motorcycle Emptiness. But they should go through their massive back catalogue more often and bring out little gems. Ant actually play at least four songs from the album they are supposedly touring.
Agree with Franny, Platitudes live was on fire!
Yes, for me Motorcycle is one of the greatest song live. That guitar! Is like going back in time!
Old 18-06-2013, 18:53
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Automatic Technicolour would also be EPIC!
Very good call, extremely underrated track. Montana/Autumn/78 as well. There's so many great songs but if they're not deemed "legit" (ie on an album) they're almost definitely not making the setlist, it's mad.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Very good call, extremely underrated track. Montana/Autumn/78 as well. There's so many great songs but if they're not deemed "legit" (ie on an album) they're almost definitely not making the setlist, it's mad.
That is my pet Manics frustration and the reason I totally unjustly slag off good and proper setlists! I don't want good and proper, I want amazing and exciting!

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-06-2013, 19:00
Under neon loneliness

Banging on about it but I've been a Springsteen fan for 10 years, at the 71,000 capacity gig (ie a very mainstream gig) I went to on Saturday he played 2 songs I'd only heard once ever because people in the crowd requested them, rare but brilliant tracks the hardcore fans just lapped up. Imagine the excitement of a set like that. Few performers can do it but any band can mix things up a bit for a song or two.