Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-05-2016, 08:09
Born to end

Australia felt big.
Glastonbury Festival 1999
Leeds Festival, 2001
Ruisrock Festival, Finland 2003
The Refectory, Leeds, 2007
Leeds Academy, 2010
King Georges Hall, Blackburn 2010
Sziget Festival, Hungary 2011
The Arena, London, 2011
The Ritz, Manchester 2013
Leeds Arena, 2014
Albert Hall, Manchester 2014
Leeds Arena 2016
Bingley Music Live 2017
Old 21-05-2016, 09:49
Born to end

Fantastic show - loved hearing some of the EMG tracks for the first time.

Last edited by Takk; 21-05-2016 at 16:45.
Old 21-05-2016, 09:59
I live to fall asleep

Did anyone else notice NIcky seemed annoyed / moody towards the end of the EMG set? He really didn't look happy about something. And what did Sean have in his mouth all night? I thought it was a lolly at first but still have no idea, I zoomed into his face with my camera and took a photo to figure it out but still don't know what it is.
I don't know if it was coincidence but when Elvis Impersonator started and the video showed the sea washing over the beach, I felt cold air above me for a few seconds like it was meant to make me feel as though I was on that beach. I asked my girlfriend this morning about it but she didn't feel it, so maybe it was just me in my little random spot but it was cool
Old 21-05-2016, 14:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Did anyone else notice NIcky seemed annoyed / moody towards the end of the EMG set? He really didn't look happy about something. And what did Sean have in his mouth all night? I thought it was a lolly at first but still have no idea, I zoomed into his face with my camera and took a photo to figure it out but still don't know what it is.
I don't know if it was coincidence but when Elvis Impersonator started and the video showed the sea washing over the beach, I felt cold air above me for a few seconds like it was meant to make me feel as though I was on that beach. I asked my girlfriend this morning about it but she didn't feel it, so maybe it was just me in my little random spot but it was cool
Sean looked like had a tooth pick in his mouth throughout.

Fantastic gig, really really enjoyed it, The Editors I have to say we're my favourite support they've had.
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 21-05-2016, 16:48
Bored out of my mind

Yeah Sean had a tooth pick, he does that quite a lot.

Really enjoyed last night although my god it got rather rough in the middle down the front. Most squashing I've experienced in a long time and we had at least 2 crowd surfers go over our heads. Don't think the crowd needed any more encouragement to drink on James' behalf (seen as he doesn't drink on tour to protect his voice) The band seemed to be enjoying themselves; didn't notice Nicky being in a bad mood tbh. He was quite chatty (to the point where he started introducing the wrong song ). No surprises in the set list compared to other gigs this tour, but I can't say I was expecting any.

Have to say I've also really, really enjoyed Editors on this tour. I used to be obsessed with them about 10 years ago when The Back Room came out but kind of lost interest in them after their second album (I still find it a bit too Coldplay for my liking), although I quite liked some of their third album and then never followed them after that. I like some of their most recent stuff though, enough to want to buy the last album. Tom Smith's crazy camp dancing has been a constant source of entertainment too
Old 21-05-2016, 21:24
Doors slowly closing

^ I did wonder why James said he couldn't drink, I was worried about him.

Thought the gig was amazing. Really enjoyed the quotes and films on the big screen, it really made the EMG experience feel authentic. EMG sounded really big and beautiful, and the second set was great too, very varied. Strange to finish on something other than ADFL but IYTT kept the atmosphere alive.

If any of you happen to have a spare ticket stub you wouldn't mind sending me if I cover P&P I'd really appreciate it, I forgot to grab one on the way out.
Old 22-05-2016, 00:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
If any of you happen to have a spare ticket stub you wouldn't mind sending me if I cover P&P I'd really appreciate it, I forgot to grab one on the way out.
Same for me too; we hung around the entrance with quite a few others afterwards to try get one and security told us they had none left as they'd given multiple ticket stubs to each person! Not sure if even that accounts for all standing tickets, but they were adamant they had none left, so we had to leave empty-handed.
Old 22-05-2016, 00:20
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Really enjoyed last night although my god it got rather rough in the middle down the front. Most squashing I've experienced in a long time and we had at least 2 crowd surfers go over our heads. Don't think the crowd needed any more encouragement to drink on James' behalf (seen as he doesn't drink on tour to protect his voice) The band seemed to be enjoying themselves; didn't notice Nicky being in a bad mood tbh. He was quite chatty (to the point where he started introducing the wrong song ). No surprises in the set list compared to other gigs this tour, but I can't say I was expecting any.

Have to say I've also really, really enjoyed Editors on this tour. I used to be obsessed with them about 10 years ago when The Back Room came out but kind of lost interest in them after their second album (I still find it a bit too Coldplay for my liking), although I quite liked some of their third album and then never followed them after that. I like some of their most recent stuff though, enough to want to buy the last album. Tom Smith's crazy camp dancing has been a constant source of entertainment too
Yeah I was in the pit directly behind you and felt sorry for those of you on the barrier at certain points. I didn't notice Nicky being in a bad mood either, even gave one of his characteristic opening remarks basically intimating Leeds was a shithole? lol

I'm identical to you in regards to Editors - The Back Room was my favourite album that year but completely lost interest upon hearing the singles of their followup. Has everyone else? I didn't even realise until I'd got there that Editors were supporting - I thought 10 years down the line they'd be a bit above support at least here in the UK.
Old 22-05-2016, 05:36
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Wire was the smiliest and happiest he has been all tour at Leeds. That said he has been incredibly happy this tour, much happier than he was on the THB dates x

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 22-05-2016, 06:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

I thought Nicky was so cool and I didn't get the impression he was implying Leeds was a shit hole when he said he was happy to spend a Friday night in Leeds at the begining. I was near to the front and quite a few people who surged in the 2nd set mostly, had different accents including people with drinks. The crowd surfers were arguing with a man who didn't want to let them through and they were pushing everyone around. It was scary as they were about to fight and I thought someone is going to get injured in the crush then they started surfing over people.

I really enjoyed seeing the band so near though and I think Sean is stunning. I loved all the designs on screen for each song and they sounded just amazing.
Old 22-05-2016, 13:02
Doors slowly closing

So while we're talking about injuries and surges... I had (at least) two breaks in my ribs during You Love Us. I've been on many, many barriers, at gigs that have been a lot rougher. Terrorvision get a honourable mention for being lairy, getting knocked about. Morrissey gigs, the first three or four rows all reach out to touch him whenever he comes near, it places a lot of pressure on you if you're on the barrier. I've always been fine, never had a problem. On Friday I felt everyone push forward really slowly, but the pressure just kept building. The last thing I remember thinking was "something has to give" and then I felt (and heard) the snapping. I didn't feel it being particularly rowdy, I wasn't been knocked about, it was just the pressure of the surge that was the problem.

I didn't know there was trouble behind me, but there were a few people that got dragged out / security had to interveine. I caught Nicky watching them on occasion too, he seemed quite concerned. I guess it could be attributed to the album, I was expecting more 'drunken lad' types ans managed to spot a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Same for me too; we hung around the entrance with quite a few others afterwards to try get one and security told us they had none left as they'd given multiple ticket stubs to each person! Not sure if even that accounts for all standing tickets, but they were adamant they had none left, so we had to leave empty-handed.
I've seen them at different gigs handing out handfulls to individuals, there's no wonder they run out. I'll let you know if I happen to find any.
Old 22-05-2016, 14:09
I live to fall asleep

You honestly got two broken ribs during the gig? Jesus!
Nicky was happy all gig but I think maybe just during perhaps Interiors or something he was moody and shaking his head a lot and mumbling to himself about something.
And seriously, why do they take your tickets off you when you get inside then give you back someone else's at the end? It makes no sense whatsoever! I wanted to hand on to my own but the guy wouldn't let me making a joke I could track him down after the gig ended if I wanted my own back. It's stupid.
Old 22-05-2016, 18:23
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
It makes no sense whatsoever! I wanted to hand on to my own but the guy wouldn't let me making a joke I could track him down after the gig ended if I wanted my own back. It's stupid.
You should do that to teach him a lesson.
Old 25-05-2016, 14:09
Doors slowly closing

@everlasting yep! Good way to commemorate a 10th gig, eh.

I have no idea why they take the tickets away, they've already torn the end off so they can't be reused, if that's their worry. Just leads to problems like this. In my experience it's only larger venues like arenas that do it.
Old 25-05-2016, 16:47
Bored out of my mind

Here are a few of my photos, although I didn't take many due to all the crowd squishing!

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 29-07-2017 at 14:22.