Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 10:45
Administrator

That's true, I never really looked at the GT one, I should.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49
Desire on its knees

another thought: is 20 years really that big an anniversary to mark with a release, especially when we've already had a 10 year reissue?

why not wait 5 more years - a 25th Anniversary Edition seems so much more prestigious.

...or do we have that to save up for too in another few years time?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:50
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
That's true, I never really looked at the GT one, I should.
I'll never forgive them for whoever came up with the National Treasures boxed set. It was insanely expensive and I couldn't afford it and eats away at my pedantic need to collect everything. I bought the Postcards Deluxe set, and it is so expensive I can't justify opening it and devaluing it, making it this redundant big box wrapped up neatly in a wardrobe.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:53
Doors slowly closing

If they’re going to do a big pricey re-issue they should take a look at the Smashing Pumpkins re-issues. Now there’s a band (well Billy Corgan) that give you some bang for your buck.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:00
I live to fall asleep

Without sounding fanboy-ish or pretentious or anything THB is my fav album of all time and I will buy whatever they put out for this.

I'd say it'll be a box set maybe closer to £150 than £100 but I will still get it. The only thing for me is that it has to go beyond the 10th anniversary one and include all recordings/demos, artwork, correspondence, live stuff etc etc etc. I'm trying to be as objective as possible but it really is a cultural artefact more than just an album. I just hope they stay involved in the process and its not (too) tacky.

Regarding the gigs I am in two minds. I'd rather pay over the odds for a box thing than pay over the odds (as I'd have to travel) to see them perform the album live. The rough trade gig was fantastic but I just would worry it would turn into some sort of existential test of endurance for the band if they do a 8 or 10 show tour playing the album over and over again - which was what the JFPL thing became for them (Jimbo mentioned that in an interview if I remember correctly) - or indeed as the NT gig was in many ways.

Still exciting times to be a Manics fan and a THB lover.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04
Doors slowly closing

A tour with lots of THB-themed merchandise will go down well.

Vinyl would be good but even if it happens they'll end up putting it in an overpriced box with a load of tat. There'll be some kind of book styled to look like a bible, no doubt.

The album doesn't need another CD re-release at the moment.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:11
Desire on its knees

urgh, just refreshed the memory by looking up the Postcards and NT box sets. PLEASE let's not have anything as similarly tacky and overpriced for THB guys - as mentioned, the GT box was pretty spot on (if you have that much unreleased content to fill it).

seconded regarding the Pumpkins reissues - makes me wish I was a bigger fan of theirs, they look amazing (albeit impenetrable for a casual fan like myself).
Old 11-08-2014, 11:32
I live to fall asleep

They'll at least release something on vinyl. Maybe some shows.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 11-08-2014, 12:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'm with everyone here who thinks the GT box is a good model. That was a great set and reasonably priced - and I don't even really like GT as an album, whereas THB is my favourite album by anyone ever.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:03
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Horribly expensive, mismanaged box sets are not something I want!

A vinyl would be nice.
Agreed. Mainly because im getting married soon and probably wont be able to afford it.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Without sounding fanboy-ish or pretentious or anything THB is my fav album of all time and I will buy whatever they put out for this.

I'd say it'll be a box set maybe closer to £150 than £100 but I will still get it. The only thing for me is that it has to go beyond the 10th anniversary one and include all recordings/demos, artwork, correspondence, live stuff etc etc etc. I'm trying to be as objective as possible but it really is a cultural artefact more than just an album. I just hope they stay involved in the process and its not (too) tacky.

Regarding the gigs I am in two minds. I'd rather pay over the odds for a box thing than pay over the odds (as I'd have to travel) to see them perform the album live. The rough trade gig was fantastic but I just would worry it would turn into some sort of existential test of endurance for the band if they do a 8 or 10 show tour playing the album over and over again - which was what the JFPL thing became for them (Jimbo mentioned that in an interview if I remember correctly) - or indeed as the NT gig was in many ways.

Still exciting times to be a Manics fan and a THB lover.
I really don't think there's that much to put out in a box set. That period wasn't big on bsides or other tracks, and we had the 10th anniversary which was comprehensive.

Some of us didn't get to go the rough trade gig...
Old 11-08-2014, 13:10
Freed from the century

Vinyl + Live CD + Astoria DVD?

A Holy Bible European tour still sounds like a bloody awful idea. Especially after the goodwill extended to them for RTF & Futurology. Having to play the whole of the Holy Bible live thirty times night after night from Cardiff to Azerbaijan sounds like some sort of morbid self flagellation punishment for the band. Holy Bible is my favourite album of all time but as a 'prestige package' midweek £65 a ticket soundtrack for folks filming "Archives of Pain" through their IPads whilst drinking overpriced smoothies and chatting away in LG sponsored enormodomes in 2014? Ewww that ain't right.

Oh course I'll still go.

I'd much rather see a Futurology tour though with banging lazers, stobes, projections, costume changes and such.
Old 11-08-2014, 13:15
Desire on its knees

Quote:
I really don't think there's that much to put out in a box set. That period wasn't big on bsides or other tracks, and we had the 10th anniversary which was comprehensive.

Some of us didn't get to go the rough trade gig...
I think the majority of unreleased content will be visual, coming from the books the band mentioned a little while back: new photos, artwork sketches, Richey/Nicky annoted lyric sheets etc - something like the JFPL deluxe book, or the book that was in the Postcards shoebox. putting that in a deluxe 12" book alongside a remastered vinyl would be ace.

i'd like to think there's at least some unheard audio out there to use - i'm not expecting a whole disc's worth of Judge Yr'self type "recently unearthed", complete tracks - but much like the GT box, or the EMG 10th anniversary, there must be a good number of decent enough demos, working ideas, "sketch" tracks to use. the 10th anniversary only gave us the Die In The Summertime and Mausoleum demos... what about the rest?

another touchpoint on how to do deluxe vinyl reissues well: Slint's Spiderland Box Set - i'd happily pay 3 figures for something similar for THB.
Old 11-08-2014, 13:36
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Vinyl + Live CD + Astoria DVD?
professional(ish) footage of Astoria 1994 does exist, doesn't it? wasn't it used for the US video for ADFL, or Faster or something? that could see a full release maybe.
Old 11-08-2014, 13:47
Administrator

^ Not sure about visual, they don't seem too great when it comes to artwork.

I agree that the idea of a full holy bible euro tour sounds a bit silly. Not meaning to want to deprive the european fans of the gig, but that's a lot of work for them and is the demand really there outside UK?

Mind you, other bands just play whole albums and the crowds put up with it.