Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-07-2018, 12:00
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Er...that's an utterly bizarre way of looking at the band's history. 'KYE' got pretty poor reviews when it came out and they were slagged off live as well (the reviews of their Reading Festival headlining show were not great either). and NME even slagged off Forever Delayed, so the idea that the venom was 'saved up' for Lifeblood just doesn't reflect what actually happened.
Yep and I think the criticism in the music press was part of a wider trend that was aimed a bands who had been successful in the mid to late 90's. It was almost as if it was decided that those bands were fair targets at that point and I think the Manics were included (unfairly in my opinion) in the general backlash against the likes of Oasis and Stereophonics.
Old 17-09-2018, 09:47
Winterlover

Truth is interesting to try and place in wider culture.

There was a big change at the end of the 90's. Yes, you had bands like the Manics who stepped into Oasis's shoes, but the yoof was arguing about the relevance of guitars even back then. I also remember James saying something about how The Everlasting was the last of a dying breed because it has a massive guitar solo (or something along those lines.)

Some things never change.

But to Tom's point, what did change (or seemed to) after that was a shift in the definition of mainstream music. The point here is that the mainstream press lashing out at MSP was them lashing out at themselves. Before Oasis, Radio 1 listeners wouldn't be seen dead in a muddy field. Alternative music was the hunter for about 25 years. But the likes of the NME didn't know what to do. They ended up putting Missy Elliot, Slipknot and Destiny's Child and shitheap bands like Terris on covers as they scrambled for a purpose. Meanwhile as Top of the Pops and the pop chart disappeared as a cultural force, and as Glasto became a nationally televised institution; the hunter became the hunted. Bands like MSP became every bit as mainstream as the bands they replaced.

Sorry, I think that counts as a bit of a thread derail, but it just popped into my head earlier!
Old 17-09-2018, 17:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
But to Tom's point, what did change (or seemed to) after that was a shift in the definition of mainstream music. The point here is that the mainstream press lashing out at MSP was them lashing out at themselves. Before Oasis, Radio 1 listeners wouldn't be seen dead in a muddy field. Alternative music was the hunter for about 25 years. But the likes of the NME didn't know what to do. They ended up putting Missy Elliot, Slipknot and Destiny's Child and shitheap bands like Terris on covers as they scrambled for a purpose. Meanwhile as Top of the Pops and the pop chart disappeared as a cultural force, and as Glasto became a nationally televised institution; the hunter became the hunted. Bands like MSP became every bit as mainstream as the bands they replaced.

Sorry, I think that counts as a bit of a thread derail, but it just popped into my head earlier!
I'm not sure if I'm annoyed at your dig at Terris or pleased you remember them I love(d) that band. I kinda blame the NME for getting ahead of itself trying to discover the 'next big thing' and giving them a lot of press when they still hadn't their album together thus causing a lot of pressure for it to follow on quick and take advantage of the press etc etc....and it all going pear shaped with the record company....still grates all these years on. Gavin Goodwin's a lecturer now and a poet and likely happier than if the band had continued maybe so things didn't turn out too bad but I could've done with a few more albums first.....maybe a career Richey would've liked....yes I know they slagged the Manics but it must be grating/is lazy to be compared on the grounds of being Welsh
Anyway. My truth. So in keeping with thread. Sort of
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson