Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-11-2014, 22:20
Born to end

Nicky on the Evening With Noel Gallagher XFM podcast thing

Coughed up the £1.99 for charidee to listen to this. Enjoyable couple of hours with Noely G on good raconteur form, amusing Britpop war stories exchanged etc. The only bit that sagged was when they brought out that dull, earnest NME fella to blow smoke up Noel's derriere for a bit. Still deffo recommended.

For some reason I thought there was a bit of low level beef (or at least stand offishness) between the Gallaghers and the Manics so it warmed the cockles of this 90's child's heart to hear the two of em gassing away together. Noel's respect for the Manics definitely come across as well. The Holy Bible is '..a difficult album, man.' Arf.
Old 17-11-2014, 22:27
Builder of routine

they've always got on i think… no beef low level or otherwise. When the manics got their first Brit award Noel was complementary … Still need to listen to the podcast..keep forgetting
Old 17-11-2014, 22:35
Freed from the century

I seem to recall Noel saying he wished he'd written ADFL somewhere years ago.
Old 17-11-2014, 22:44
Born to end

Yeah, they definitely got on well during the EMG/Britpoppy years. The podcast is full of stories of touring together at that time.

I seem to remember Noel got the hump a bit in the music press with Nicky around KYE time ...after he said something along the lines of ''Noel Gallagher goes to 10 Downing Street to schmooze with Tony Blair, our band goes to Cuba to meet Fidel F@cking Castro!'' And then about 15 years of silence on matters Manics from the eyebrowed ones.

Probably havent been a fan of any of his music since the 90's but always got time for Noel Gallagher. He's very funny, smart and tells a good yarn. There are few music folk who I'd rather read an interview with.

Last edited by Humphrey Plugg; 17-11-2014 at 23:04.
Old 17-11-2014, 22:47
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Plugg View Post
I seem to remember Noel got the hump a bit in the music press with Nicky around KYE time ...after he said something along the lines of ''Noel Gallagher goes to 10 Downing Street to schmooze with Tony Blair, our band goes to Cuba to meet Fidel F@cking Castro!'' .
turns out they were both wrong

I've got a lot of time for Noel. His brother however is a pleb
Old 17-11-2014, 23:10
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Now I know why Sunday Morning Call always used to remind me a little bit of Tollerate. Or I think so.
Old 18-11-2014, 00:14
Knowlede Is Power

I listened to this the other day. Really made me laugh and smile. Two of my musical heros ( i dont care if people laugh ) getting on like a house on fire!
Old 18-11-2014, 19:14
Bored of being bored

Didn't the Manics boo Oasis when Definitely Maybe won best album at the NME awards over the Holy Bible back in the day?

Couldn't have been that serious though bearing in mind one of the first post Richey gigs was supportoing Oasis at Maine Road.
Old 18-11-2014, 20:39
Born to end

JDB telling a pished and heckling Liam Gallagher to be quiet at the 1995 NME Brat Awards..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsO_ZbgYrFk
Old 18-11-2014, 20:48
Born to end

Saying that this has become the thread for Manics related britpop reminiscing...sad news from yesterday concerning the one time JDB produced Northern Uproar...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....victim-8131205
Old 12-01-2015, 16:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Plugg View Post
I seem to remember Noel got the hump a bit in the music press with Nicky around KYE time ...after he said something along the lines of ''Noel Gallagher goes to 10 Downing Street to schmooze with Tony Blair, our band goes to Cuba to meet Fidel F@cking Castro!'' And then about 15 years of silence on matters Manics from the eyebrowed ones.
I remember that. I think he referred to the Wire as a 'cynical cunt', if memory serves correctly.

Still, I think there's always been mutual respect between the bands, possibly due to the working class backgrounds.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:28
Born to end

There's definitely been a mutual respect since EMG. In fact, at one of the Kentish Town Forum gigs in '96, Liam Gallagher ran onstage and jumped on Nicky's back halfway through a song.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:02
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita's Bunches View Post
There's definitely been a mutual respect since EMG. In fact, at one of the Kentish Town Forum gigs in '96, Liam Gallagher ran onstage and jumped on Nicky's back halfway through a song.
They talk about that on the podcast! Liam was apparently wearing quite an extravagant jacket, as Noel said to Wire that Liam was looking "more like you than you did"

I really enjoyed listening to this, Can't help but like Noel even if I don't like a lot of his music. Incredibly funny guy.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:56
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
They talk about that on the podcast! Liam was apparently wearing quite an extravagant jacket, as Noel said to Wire that Liam was looking "more like you than you did"

I really enjoyed listening to this, Can't help but like Noel even if I don't like a lot of his music. Incredibly funny guy.
I'm pretty sure it was the same gig where The Stereophonics supported and half the barrier were reading books during their set!
The Liam incident was pretty funny as Wire had no idea what had hit him and tried to carry on playing whilst pissing himself laughing.
I was stood between James and Nicky and as soon as Liam was spotted at the side of the stage, Nicky's side went ballistic calling him all the names under the sun. When he walked off again, some of them were screaming, "But what about Nicky's back?". How some things never change!!

Incidentally after the gig, traffic outside the Forum was stood still as Liam had climbed on top of a taxi flicking V's at the now assembled photographers.
I went to The Bull and Gate for a couple of pints and came out to still find the photographers around the burger/kebab shop a few doors down. When I checked what was going on, Liam was slumped on the floor against the counter.

Good times!